My holiday travels in thailand with GPS why so different results

WilliamCave

I have a Garmin GPS and my new car has an Alpine GPS built in the dash. On a trip from Chiang Mai to Roi Et I plotted my course on both and they gave me two different routes to take. Upon studying why this happened I found that the different routes were caused by different settings in the two GPS systems. If you go into settings you will see options as to how you wish to travel such as Scenic, Highway, or back roads. If one GPS is set to something other than what the other is then you get two different routes.

I find my Garmin GPS to have more options and it gives better information than the built-in Alpine. When traveling on long trips my car's dashboard looks a little crowded with the video camera, the Garmin GPS and the Alpine GPS all on at the same time. I take advantage of having two GPS devices by setting one for a close up view so I can see all the side streets and the other GPS set to show the route from further back.
By the way they both give me the same speeds and locations as I travel.

Thailand mean speed is 50 kmph, no matter of vehicle. On longest run it could be slight better, 60kmph, depending on route, stops and 'highways'. During holydays is lower, 40 kpmh, so why let nav the calculation? Nowdays there are three opt's, Here which is the better because maps are on device, GM which is loose in routing but (in optimal G3 conditions) and in some areas could download also traffic conditions (Here too, of course). If you are not netalchoolic even a very old Garmin map and device can put you on the right way. GM is not, if you turn off device during routing, finger troubles or other, turn off nav and do not have G3 your nav experience end soon. Garmin is the best among all 3 choices, smartphone remain open for call, GPS will not drag batteries in 2 hours (GPS receivers are very old technology and OEM only). The main drawback of Garmin is in BKK 3rd lev roads, if nav is dumb searching icons locations it looses the road vertical cross, so maybe VIP level is shown as road shop level. Garmin have some tricks to implement, read appropriate forums. Goodluck and ... trains are the best!!!

The GPS can only be as good as the map data it gets. And the source for all these maps is the country you're driving in.

If it tells you to turn right, but there was nothing there, it was probably planned - and map data updated - but never executed to have a road there. Even happens in good old Europe. :-)

And I hope, that the results are not the same, because the companies use different algorithms. Otherwise it would mean they just steal the software from each other. Good to have competiion among these companies.

Edited by frimu

Maybe I misunderstood the remark about the speedo.

By law, a speedometer must never show a lower speed than the actual exact speed.

Tolerance only allowed to show higher speed.

Which Thai law was that?

Bigger rims on my Vigo make quite a difference (bragging again)

The size of your rims do not make a difference, but the circumference of your tires will.

Maybe I misunderstood the remark about the speedo.

By law, a speedometer must never show a lower speed than the actual exact speed.

Tolerance only allowed to show higher speed.

I know of no such universal law, applying to your statement. Most car companies, that have vehicle speed measured thru tire rotation, have their readings slightly higher than actual speed to compensate for tire wear. Vehicles which measure speed by electronic speed sensors, on the driveshaft or inside the transmission are more accurate, because they do not measure rotation of the tires. Some manufactures, also use electronic speed sensors, in combination with the ABS to measure speed.

I have used Garmin GPSs since 2006; just bought my 3rd pair (my truck and my wife's car). They aren't perfect, but always get us where we are going and back home again.

A couple of pointers:

1. The distances shown are as the bird flies so your mileage may vary.

2. I find the ETA is fairly accurate for long trips, but not as accurate for short trips, and, of course, the GPS has no knowledge of current traffic conditions. Must adjust for lunch breaks, Amazon coffee stops, etc.

3. Any new roads, road closures, etc. after the GPS data base is issued are unknown to the GPS. Use caution.

4. Be sure to listen to the GPS, but also, look at it. There may occasionally be conflicts. Common sense prevails.

5. When looking for a hotel, resort, restaurant, etc. at a distant location, enter the city as "Go To" first. Once you are within about 10 km of the city, enter your final destination.

I think it is an amazing device with zillions of locations in a small package which is correct 98% of the time. Love my Garmin!!