Why Does My Atm Card Not Work

It seems to be happening more regularly now, but why when I go a multitude of ATM machines, does the message "refer to issuing bank", "timed out" or similar display come up and I can't get any cash?

My bank account is in the UK, it does have funds in it and my internet banking is working over there.

I'm assuming that some central computer in Thailand can't verify my bank status, so won't give me the money. It's not just from from one Thai bank, but all of them that I can be bothered to try before I get frustrated.

Can anyone explain this? BTW, I'm definitely not the only person that this happens to.

I should keep that couple of grand stashed away "for a rainy day", I know, but I never do. My wife and I raided the piggy bank yesterday, but spent it, so I hope things are working today!!

May be the magnet stripe on the back of the ATM card is slightly damaged .

Never had a problem with my EC-Card here, but local ATM show , after certain usage time , comments like no data, error , conatct issue bank,etc and the Bank just issue a new card.

I believe you get messages like that when there's a slow network connection.

The Thai bank's computers are programmed to wait just so long for a response from the UK bank and if there's no response within that time your card gets spit out.

Just try later and try a different Thai bank: not much else you can do.

Edited by taxout

It seems to be happening more regularly now, but why when I go a multitude of ATM machines, does the message "refer to issuing bank", "timed out" or similar display come up and I can't get any cash?

My bank account is in the UK, it does have funds in it and my internet banking is working over there.

I'm assuming that some central computer in Thailand can't verify my bank status, so won't give me the money. It's not just from from one Thai bank, but all of them that I can be bothered to try before I get frustrated.

Can anyone explain this? BTW, I'm definitely not the only person that this happens to.

I should keep that couple of grand stashed away "for a rainy day", I know, but I never do. My wife and I raided the piggy bank yesterday, but spent it, so I hope things are working today!!

You will find at different times of the month (read paydays) that atm machines will only like cards issued by that particular bank.

Could you be trying to withdraw too much?

There are two limits on the amount you can draw from an ATM; the limit set by the Thai bank, in Baht; and the limit set by your bank, in your home currency. With exchange rates for Thai Baht declining, the Thai limit may be higher than the home bank limit. I've had this happen a couple of times with my US bank's ATM card. My request is declined but when I resubmit for 1,000 Baht less, it goes through.

Thanks for the replies. It worked fine earlier.

I'm not 100%, but I tend to agree that it's down to slow connections. Sometimes I get "timed out" as a message.

Anyway, I must remember to stash away that grand, or two because it's gonna take a while to replenish the piggy bank with 5 Baht coins!!

When you select "English" for the screen display, the programmers at that bank may have picked a poor translation, so the message is erroneous. "Over the limit" may mean something else. Sometimes I just move to the next ATM and get what I want, or a more accurate description of the problem.