Whiskey Franchise

hlfourie

Hi guys, my wife has been carrying on with me about this idea of going to Bangkok paying for a course that will teach her how to make whiskey, she will then do the course and receive a franchise to sell it, we are in Ubon Ratchathani so she wants to open shop here. There is no paper work to show me, she just got the number from a friend. Do you think this can be true / legit? They are looking for around 50000 baht but I still don't know for what. Does anybody have an idea?

Hmm, sounds to good to be true. Don't hand over the money just yet.

I have heard you can make your own beer, but not sell it and getting the license to produce for sale is hard or just not possible.

As for opening a distillery I have zero knowledge, but doesn't it take years to make a decent drop? Even the cheap whiskys sit for around 12 years don't they?

• Like 1

Well ....if it were me and the wife was really pushing it....

I would go to Bangkok and check out the school where they will teach her to make Whiskey. Does the franchise include all permits and licenses And the equipment to make the whiskey (kettles, pots etc)??? (and check with applicable gov agency to make sure up to date and legit)

If franchise does not include permits and licenses ....

Then I would check with the government as to the rules and regulations on making alcohol. (permits licenses etc.)

Lastly you would have to look into distribution ....again ...what permits, licenses etc needed

Why not do some research on the internet on "how to distill and make whiskey" to see what's involved ....may be that she doesn't even need to go to school, save yourself 50,000 baht

Good Luck

Edited by beachproperty
  • Like 2

The true setup cost to make enough whiskey to sell on even a small scale would probably be in the millions of baht.

We looked at a franchise in Australia that is a beer micro brewery. Just the setup cost was over $400,000AU. So that's around 12million baht on a good day.

Then you need to consider costs like rent of premises, finding competent tradesman like gas fitters, plumbers etc to build the place, paying yourself a wage for possibly a year, finding ingredient suppliers, bottle suppliers etc etc etc. The total cost of that micro brewery topped $500,000. Then that was only small scale.

The list goes on and on even though it sounds simple, it's not unless you wanna make backyard moonshine.

My mother in law makes beer and her brother makes whiskey. As a young woman my wife had many proposals. As far as I know there is a whiskey maker in every small village. But my knowledge of such things is not comprehensive. I do know you can buy flavorings that will duplicate every common whiskey currently on the market. From some Scandinavian country as I remember.

• Like 1

Thais refer to all kinds of alcohol as whiskey, so I don't think the course etc. Will be on making high end stuff like Jim beam. But mayby a homebrew for local whiskey or rice wine.

As soon as distilling became a technological reality, east Asia joined the international bandwagon and began distilling basic fermented brews. In Thailand, lao khao, a potent rice whisky made from distilled sahtoh was the result. Today, cheap lao khao is not only sold at virtually every small store in Thailand, it is also hawked at bars frequented by the local working man: places where buildings are fashioned from bamboo, roofs from palm fronds and barstools from trunks of palm trees.

Fortunately, for those of you wanting to sample lao khao, Mekhong, the most internationally recognized brand, is available everywhere – including fancy bars in five star hotels. It is usually drunk with coke or lots of soda.

http://www.windowonphuket.com/features_regular/local_drop.htm

• Like 2

Thais refer to all kinds of alcohol as whiskey, so I don't think the course etc. Will be on making high end stuff like Jim beam. But mayby a homebrew for local whiskey or rice wine.

making high end stuff like Jim beam ROFL.

JB, top shelf?

Makers Mark yes, JB, still shaking head and laughing.

• Like 2

As soon as distilling became a technological reality, east Asia joined the international bandwagon and began distilling basic fermented brews. In Thailand, lao khao, a potent rice whisky made from distilled sahtoh was the result. Today, cheap lao khao is not only sold at virtually every small store in Thailand, it is also hawked at bars frequented by the local working man: places where buildings are fashioned from bamboo, roofs from palm fronds and barstools from trunks of palm trees.

Fortunately, for those of you wanting to sample lao khao, Mekhong, the most internationally recognized brand, is available everywhere – including fancy bars in five star hotels. It is usually drunk with coke or lots of soda.

http://www.windowonphuket.com/features_regular/local_drop.htm

Those yaa dong stalls are getting harder and harder to find these days, especially in Bkk.

I remember they used to sell the ingredients/herbal additives on service stations on the HW #2.

Most of the gut rot you refer to sold in mom n pop stores is see sip, or seua dam, its sold at 10 baht a shot, or 25 baht for a M150 bottle full of it, very popular with M/C taxi drivers and labourers.

Sounds like a moonshine course to me. If you're out in the sticks and they provide all the equipment and training to do it then maybe she could make some money.

You have to remember that you're distilling what amounts to a high potency fuel right next to a naked flame, a process which isn't without danger.

Getting a license for a small whisky distillery is not a big problem, beer is.

Plenty of vids on YT you can make whisky in a washing machine and get a really good still from Australia.

JB, top shelf?

laphroig,talisker and lagavullin i would call whiskey and not the bourbon trash...

Kind of like saying British cuisine. Oxymoron eh? If you want to play ethnocentric, two can play.biggrin.png

Do you even know the difference between Bourbon and a single malt? When Jim Beam is done with their whiskey barrels instead of throwing them in the trash they sell them to Laphroig to make their little whiskey over there.

rgs2001uk, on 05 Jan 2015 - 15:23, said:
hlfourie, on 05 Jan 2015 - 14:30, said:

JB, top shelf?

Well anything is a step up from Thunderbird.

JB, top shelf?

laphroig,talisker and lagavullin i would call whiskey and not the bourbon trash...

Kind of like saying British cuisine. Oxymoron eh? If you want to play ethnocentric, two can play.biggrin.png

Do you even know the difference between Bourbon and a single malt? When Jim Beam is done with their whiskey barrels instead of throwing them in the trash they sell them to Laphroig to make their little whiskey over there.

Of course Laphroaig buys their barrels, as they burn through a lot of wood to distill their Whisky, and JB probably has an abundance of barrels all the time anyway.

Of course Laphroaig buys their barrels, as they burn through a lot of wood to distill their Whisky, and JB probably has an abundance of barrels all the time anyway.

That's why Laphrong sells so well in America; it tastes like Jim Beam.

That's why Laphrong sells so well in America; it tastes like Jim Beam.

Can't believe that a single malt Whisky with a peaty flavour tastes the same as spirit made from corn.biggrin.png

Edited by Anthony5
  • Like 2

You must be sick even considering this.

The brother in law of my GF has 120 Rai Sugarcane fields, I once reckoned I could destill Cachazza open ended. When I learned what it needs to get an official license to produce potable alcoholic Whiskies, Rums or Sugar Cane Cachazzas, labelled. I gave up.

It is nearly impossible to get a license for producing homemade brands of alcoholic specialties in Thailand, unless your Wife has a realtive within the family of the Governeur of the province

What's it you want to ferment? There's rice, there's Sugarcane. There's pineapple, that will make a tasty Schnaps.

Jim Beam ? Whiskies ? How the heck do you intend to call your destillate - if ever legal - a whisky ?

Mekong is from sugarcane, as are all other Thai Whiskies. Don't bluff me with the rice-destillate. Utter BS. Maybe rice destillate is used for blending.

It isn't a course to make whisky it is a course that teaches people to make the flavours that go into the whiskys and other spirits you see commonly sold in old lipo bottles out of large glass containers for 20 baht a pop.

yeah that's a called blending. herbs are involved. Sometimes "bird nest" for making better hair and skin.

what you gotta watch out for is the fact that these "whiskies" or "Lao Khao" are in fact isopropanol 75% and up , aromatized with whatever masks the isopropyl alcohol scent.

cool baby that taste is Whisky ( the only one to believe it is YOU) , it runs over across your tongue, hababablabish taste, dungalolololala afterglow . .. next thing you know is you end up blind.

...my five cent and a few satang

• Like 1