New 30 day and warning at Mae sai

Hi new here but have scoured the by region and many thread postings under here and can't find. Warning *** Thai border immigration has really cracked down recently (2015) on border visa runs. I am American and got 30 day visa on arrival at bkk then did 1 mo extension through Chiang Mai immigration. My visa expired yesterday on the 4th and I bused up to Mae Sae to try and do border run but Thai immigration wouldn't let me or my Spanish friend cross and I have zero other stamps in and out of Thailand.

I am currently in Chiang Rai and a Moto scooter I am renting for 180 baht is waiting for me bCk in Chiang Mai so I can get back to Pai for a 3 week qi gong course that starts today in Pai. What is fastest and cheapest way for me to get a new 30 day visa for Thailand or even just 3 weeks if possible? Since Burma doesn't seem to be a good option anymore, I was thinking of busing to Chang kong in Laos, trying to get visa at border and if that doesn't work then going to vietvienne or Luang Prabang to embassy and flying back to Chiang Mai for new 30 day visa on arrival. Will this work?as u can see I'm trying for something that is quickest option so I can miss as little as possible of this course that has started.

Thank you in advance!,

Thank you for your response. I was one of the many who didn't have set plans but of course ended up finding test community and loving Thailand and stayed longer. Do u know if I land travel one way and fly back, can I apply for new visa at Thai embassy in Luang Prabang or will they not let me given the circumstances. Or is best to go to vietvienne or another place as you said and fly back thereby avoiding embassies altogether?

The only embassy in Laos is in Vientiane. There is also a consulate in Savannakhet. There is neither in Luang Prabang.

You could get a single or 2 entry tourist visa at either of those locations.

You could try to get an entry at another border crossing. The nearest is Chiang Khong to Houy XAi Laos.

I arrived in Thailand by plane last year on 28th September and got my 30-day visa exempt at Suvarnabhumi. After these 30 days I went to Udon Thani Immigration and got a 30-day extension until 27th November (2,000.- THB). As I needed some more days to get my family business finished I decided to make a border run at Nong Khai. No problems at all. Got a new visa exempt until 26th December. On 26th December I left Thailand. So, maybe you should try Nong Khai.

one question in november i go there and got 30 days , soon i make new visa 3 month non o after 60 days extension in june can i go back there and got 30 days and extend 30 days at cm himmigration for make new non o in august ?

If you are married to Thai you can get a multiple entry non-o with no financial proof in Savannakhet.

It would not be a problem to get a 30 day visa exempt entry after having a non-o visa and 60 day extension.

You can also get a 60 day extension to visit your wife or child for a visa exempt entry.

i would suggest going to consulate in Laos and applying for double entry tourist visa if there is a possibility you may want to stay longer. just be prepared to show you have funds to support yourself. the immigration police have been warning people for months that the days of the visa run is coming to an end. you might be lucky and be able to do a visa run just don't count on it any more They can stop you from leaving Thailand into Myanmar as you can not get a visa on arrival. Laos they cant stop you leaving but can stop you from returning

i would suggest going to consulate in Laos and applying for double entry tourist visa if there is a possibility you may want to stay longer. just be prepared to show you have funds to support yourself. the immigration police have been warning people for months that the days of the visa run is coming to an end. you might be lucky and be able to do a visa run just don't count on it any more They can stop you from leaving Thailand into Myanmar as you can not get a visa on arrival. Laos they cant stop you leaving but can stop you from returning

"the immigration police have been warning people for months that the days of the visa run is coming to an end."

There has been a crackdown on serial "border runs" to obtain back-to-back visa exempt entries and a warning that over-stayers could face black-listing for varying periods of time.

Doing a "border run" to initiate a second or third entry on a multi-entry visa or a "visa run" to obtain a new non-imm O or tourist visa at an embassy or consulate are not coming to an end. And no one has been warning that they would.

Some embassies/consulates may limit the number of visas they will issue or put more difficult conditions on applicants and a few land border crossings have reputations for being "difficult," but this has always been the case and your suggestion that all this is coming to an end is fear-mongering.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

The consulate in Savannakhet!!!

From my own experiences with immigration in Nong Khai and Mukdahan i chose Mukdahan any day of the week! And also the fact that they have same day service in Savannakhet make it a better option (atleast for me).

Remember to have crisp NEW dollar bills to pay for your visa to Laos as its about half price compared if you pay in Thai Baht!

And you can apply for a double entry tourist visa which can get you up to 180 days:

60days + 30 extension, then cross the border to activate the second part of your visa and you get another 60 that you can extend for another 30 days = 180.

It's better to have to much time than to run out as it could be expensive and lead to deportation. I have never heard about any westerners being treated badly but my Philippino friend ended up in detention when he was caught on the way to the border (7 day overstay), for him it took about a week to get it all processed. Then out and get a visa and then back in again. This was in the beginning of December.

From my own experiences with immigration in Nong Khai and Mukdahan i chose Mukdahan any day of the week! And also the fact that they have same day service in Savannakhet make it a better option (atleast for me).

Remember to have crisp NEW dollar bills to pay for your visa to Laos as its about half price compared if you pay in Thai Baht!

How much is it exactly in $US and how much exactly in Thai baht?

How much is it exactly in $US and how much exactly in Thai baht?

The price in dollars depends upon the country you are from. In baht it is 1500 for all countries.

See: http://www.laos-guide-999.com/visa-on-arrival.html