Walk facing traffic: it's safer

ByblosYuNaiSoi

I was taught to walk facing oncoming traffic as a Boy Scout many years ago. I have since done this all my life and still do.

I see "most" farangs ... not only Thais ... doing the exact opposite here in Thailand.

And then there's the crazy Thai drivers who drive on the wrong side of the road.

My personal fave are the drivers that reverse at busy junctions after missing their turn off. I agree with the term 'Amazing Thailand' because everyone was reversing too to make room for this numbnuts. It was chaos and both annoying and hilarious at the same time. He managed to reverse to his missed turn off. It took forever (what with everyone reversing all over the raod to accomodate him) and he would've been quicker going to the next U turn...but hey.

I was always taught to walk facing oncoming traffic as you have a chance to see them coming.

I have also heard the Thai explanation that if you are hit from behind then it is the driver's fault. Nice to know that if I am killed it isn't my fault.

I still walk facing oncoming traffic but have had several near misses when going round sharp corners. Motorbikes and cyclists tend to drive as close to the corner as possible and without slowing down. (Actually I don't think many bicycles have brakes as I always see the cyclist slamming his feet on the ground.)

I think whichever side of the road we walk we have to take extreme care.

• Like 2

Yep, it's called common sense, glad some of us still have it.

When I walk with my girl friend that's how we do it. When she walks (not very often) alone or with other Thai's she reverts back to the with traffic direction, same with wearing a K'nock on the scooter, not bothered with that, unless I'm around.

I could go on and on.

When walking at dusk/dark it is also wise to pin one of those cheap flashing lights on your top.

Sounds like a good idea, but never assume others are seeing you. Please continue to be alert and defensive at all times. It's a life saver.

Not sure I see the great revelation here. To read this, you'd think there were no one-way roads in Thailand (as well as busy divided roads with physical barriers in the median and rare pedestrian flyovers). The fact that there are, and are so many, makes this advice kind of simple-minded, doesn't it? Sure, if you CAN, walk facing traffic. Duh.

You beat me to it. I was beginning to think Chiang Mai was the only place in Thailand with one way streets.

I always try to walk on the right side of the street when I am going the same way as the traffic on a one way street. I figure it gives the driver a better chance to see me.

I also remember that on my first visit to LOS I was almost run over due to lane travel being opposite of the USA. Looked to the right but traffic came from the left. So all new comers should slow down and watch for traffic from both sides.

Not sure I see the great revelation here. To read this, you'd think there were no one-way roads in Thailand (as well as busy divided roads with physical barriers in the median and rare pedestrian flyovers). The fact that there are, and are so many, makes this advice kind of simple-minded, doesn't it? Sure, if you CAN, walk facing traffic. Duh.

You beat me to it. I was beginning to think Chiang Mai was the only place in Thailand with one way streets.

I always try to walk on the right side of the street when I am going the same way as the traffic on a one way street. I figure it gives the driver a better chance to see me.

But in Thailand, that's actually next to the "fast lane", isn't it? (Honestly not sure. Someone please correct me.)

Weird,

In Australia we were taught to walk with the traffic, once I was doing that here and the Thai lady I was walking with said "no we should walk on the other side so we can see the cars come"

Then reading this, <deleted>? lol

Well that's obviously stupid - in Australia I always walk on the right but clearly many Australians are not as bright as I am.

I also remember that on my first visit to LOS I was almost run over due to lane travel being opposite of the USA. Looked to the right but traffic came from the left. So all new comers should slow down and watch for traffic from both sides.

Well you should have known that before arriving. Once you arrive in a left-driving country you get used to it quickly, just like someone who is from a left-driving country gets used to a right-driving country quite quickly after arriving.

But the part about looking both ways applies to Thailand because you have plenty of idiots, mostly scooters and motorcycles who drive against the flow of traffic with not a care in the world.

puts their life in someone elses hands

dumbest idea ever i figure

At times it is impossible for one reason or another not to walk on the road. Footpaths are for feet. Not stalls, motorbikes, cars, workshops.....

Walking on the road even facing traffic is dangerous enough.

It's not that safe on the sidewalk either. Wife was almost hit by a prick on a motor bike last week.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

My wife and I had quite a few discussions about this when we first returned here from the U.S. and she said the same as the poster above...if you aren't facing the traffic it isn't your fault if you get hit. Took me nearly 6 months to finally get her to agree that it was better to see a car coming at you and get out of the way and then there is no blame since no one is hit :)

The typical thai way. Admit no responsibility, blame everybody else. Even if it means being unsafe and getting hit by a car.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

At times it is impossible for one reason or another not to walk on the road. Footpaths are for feet. Not stalls, motorbikes, cars, workshops.....

Walking on the road even facing traffic is dangerous enough.

It's not that safe on the sidewalk either. Wife was almost hit by a prick on a motor bike last week.

My biggest gripe is the lazy prats who ride their motorcycles through the narrow lanes in covered markets. I often block their passage to show my annoyance. Someone's going to thump me one day!

Haha you and me both brother. I dont give an inch to stupidity and other drivers.

I always walk facing the traffic in my soi. It is a busy soi and has no pavements for 95% of the soi and those are taken up by businesses. I am the only person who does this. All the Thais walk with the traffic. I am not going to change 'cos I think it is safer and clearly the Thais ain't going to change. When I encounter other walkers in this pavement-less soi, I am generally forced to the outside away from the wall. I suppose this is correct as I can see what is coming.

My wife and I had quite a few discussions about this when we first returned here from the U.S. and she said the same as the poster above...if you aren't facing the traffic it isn't your fault if you get hit. Took me nearly 6 months to finally get her to agree that it was better to see a car coming at you and get out of the way and then there is no blame since no one is hit smile.png

The typical thai way. Admit no responsibility, blame everybody else. Even if it means being unsafe and getting hit by a car.

I wonder if that will be included in the new mandatory "thainess" courses (for foreign teachers).

• Like 1

They used to have "Public information " films in the Uk when I was a kid, This one , walking towards traffic was called "Follow the country code" because people tend not to walk in the road in cities as we have a thing called a Pavement or sidewalk as the Colonials call it.

They used to have "Public information " films in the Uk when I was a kid, This one , walking towards traffic was called "Follow the country code" because people tend not to walk in the road in cities as we have a thing called a Pavement or sidewalk as the Colonials call it.

As others have pointed out, the sidewalks in Thailand have to be shared with motorbikes, utility poles, gawkers & shoppers, prams, the occasional "sidewalk conference", potholes & broken or missing concrete blocks, and vendor stalls in many places, not to mention vacuous phone users dead-stopped and busily tapping away on their cellphones, completely oblivious to others trying to squeeze by. Very often easier just to detour into the street to have any hope of eventually arriving at one's destination. Sidewalks would be the safer way, but in Thailand they're often more of a hindrance than a help.

The British along with the Aussies, New Zealanders and I believe the Irish call it the pavement. The Americans call it the sidewalk and I'm sure that most Americans would be at pains to assure the world that they are not colonialists!

Nonetheless I agree with the many posters on this thread that the pavements (sidewalks) are disaster areas. Recently, someone posed the question 'what makes Thailand a 3rd world country?' One could certainly point to the pavements and, with some justification say 'There be your 3rd world country'.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

As others have pointed out, the sidewalks in Thailand have to be shared with motorbikes, utility poles, gawkers & shoppers, prams, the occasional "sidewalk conference", potholes & broken or missing concrete blocks, and vendor stalls in many places, not to mention vacuous phone users dead-stopped and busily tapping away on their cellphones, completely oblivious to others trying to squeeze by. Very often easier just to detour into the street to have any hope of eventually arriving at one's destination. Sidewalks would be the safer way, but in Thailand they're often more of a hindrance than a help.

Agree mate , I was pointing out why they called it "The Country code" basically no need for it in a Western city but perhaps down country lanes ect.. I noticed one could actually walk on the pavement in Soi 11 the other day, must have been a strike or a national holiday