Young tourists performing yoga at sacred temple criticised in Thai media

webfact

"Common temple etiquette requires visitors to remain calm, and act in a composed manner""

Seems like every temple you go to in Thailand with a few exceptions, outside the temple but often one the grounds, people are selling something. In many cases even on the steps up to some temples located up many steps there are people peddling food, trinkets, etc. In all honesty Thai temples are anything but pristine places to meditate or pray. In my opinion and more often than not, temple grounds are some of the junkiest looking places littered with crap.

To "remain calm, and act in a composed manner" is exactly what yoga practice is supposed to do enable one to do. And there's no way one could do the pose in that photo without being very calm and composed.

The irony is that when the complainers saw this "they" became un-calm and un-composed.

My apologies...it seems you misunderstood my post. I was not trying to correct you. I was pointing out what type of yoga they were actually doing.

It has been listed that what these persons are performing yoga. I would say the pose is more akin to either aerobic,acrobatic or gymnastic positions, as yoga has thousand of positions but only performed in specific positions by an individual, not by a couple.

Why is it if some one criticises persons for acting inappropriately or dressing inadequately at a Temple that the PC brigade crawls our from under their rocks and defend these two by alleging people are farang bashing? You rush to your excuse book to provide reasons why they should not be criticized. Give me a reason why they should be praised?

Oh I forgot, it has been suggested that their performance is outside the temple so it's ok and some have gone to the extent of alleging vilification or playing the racist card, over reacting, the monks are worse, etc., etc. Why is it that if you are living here are you so vitriolic towards the country and it's people, when one would expect to show some respect for your host country. But I guess, not many of you know the meaning of the word, respect, so why should the younger generation be any different.

This is the star position in acroyoga.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acroyoga

Yes it is, but AcroYoga is a combination of acrobatics and yoga. If I wanted to refer to that then I would have but I was referring to yoga, which is the Hindu spiritual and ascetic discipline, a part of which, including breath control, simple meditation, and the adoption of specific bodily postures, is widely practised for health and relaxation and undertaken by an individual, either singularly or in a group.

Maybe I should explain myself more, so that one who does not comprehend what I meant, would actually know what I am referring too. If you want to correct me, then stay with the subject and do not refer to an adaptation of yoga, as I wasn't.

This is not just ANY temple, it is SACRED temple. This behavior is, as I saw on facebook , "sandaan mai dee". which means something really bad.

A temple is just a man made building, what is so sacred with that? If you believe in Buddhism, man made buildings are not important.

So is St Peter, just a man made building.

I don't think that supernatural power built it.

Posts containing inappropriate language have been removed as well as the replies. Comments on moderation have been removed as well.

If you're going to comment on the topic, make your comments related to the topic rather than make obfuscating comments not related to the topic.

Quick question....."greng jai" ? Nope, I haven't learned that expression yet...Means.......?

it is actually "Kreng Jai." Means "Awe heart or differential heart. It is strictly a Thai trait and not many farangs would have a clue. it is about being aware of other people's feelings and showing consideration, politeness and respect to them. It also relates to the Thai not wanting to lose face and if one shows Kreng Jai then they can help another save face. I think is one wants to show their Thai skills, then spell it correctly and show the other what the meaning is. But then does he know?

Transliteration never spells anything correctly in Thai. My guess is as good as yours.

Sorry, no guessing on my behalf. Yours definitely. If one assumes, like yourself, then you are guessing. I did not. I have learnt over the years that before correcting something, be sure of the facts. Learning is knowledge and research is learning. I suggest you do both then come back and tell me that your guess is a good as mine.

My apologies...it seems you misunderstood my post. I was not trying to correct you. I was pointing out what type of yoga they were actually doing.

It has been listed that what these persons are performing yoga. I would say the pose is more akin to either aerobic,acrobatic or gymnastic positions, as yoga has thousand of positions but only performed in specific positions by an individual, not by a couple.

Why is it if some one criticises persons for acting inappropriately or dressing inadequately at a Temple that the PC brigade crawls our from under their rocks and defend these two by alleging people are farang bashing? You rush to your excuse book to provide reasons why they should not be criticized. Give me a reason why they should be praised?

Oh I forgot, it has been suggested that their performance is outside the temple so it's ok and some have gone to the extent of alleging vilification or playing the racist card, over reacting, the monks are worse, etc., etc. Why is it that if you are living here are you so vitriolic towards the country and it's people, when one would expect to show some respect for your host country. But I guess, not many of you know the meaning of the word, respect, so why should the younger generation be any different.

This is the star position in acroyoga.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acroyoga

Yes it is, but AcroYoga is a combination of acrobatics and yoga. If I wanted to refer to that then I would have but I was referring to yoga, which is the Hindu spiritual and ascetic discipline, a part of which, including breath control, simple meditation, and the adoption of specific bodily postures, is widely practised for health and relaxation and undertaken by an individual, either singularly or in a group.

Maybe I should explain myself more, so that one who does not comprehend what I meant, would actually know what I am referring too. If you want to correct me, then stay with the subject and do not refer to an adaptation of yoga, as I wasn't.

Actually, if you read the" Yoga sutras of Patanjali", you;ll see that Raja yoga has no need for breathing exercises or any physical postures.

A group of farang was found doing a workout [at a temple], supposedly yoga. They spread their arms and legs while their friends were taking photos. This was done in public view of both locals and tourists," the caption said. Common temple etiquette requires visitors to remain calm, and act in a composed manner"

Boo hoo hoo

If they are doing something wrong then say so to their face instead of this cowardly, chicken crud online BS outrage campaign.

Say you on an Internet forum 555

Lets see: Whose picture did I publish to name and shame…oh, look no one.

If I saw someone doing something that I found offensive I would tell them.

Get me in contact with the knob head who started this campaign and I tell them what I think about their behaviour.

Remember the guy from the BTS who had a hole in his shoe, yet was vilified on the forums for having a camera shoe.

Netziens and their online outrage, make me want to puke.

Not much point if he can't understand you....same for the photographer if she can't speak the tourist's language.

Besides, it's too confrontational for most Thais.

The fact remains that the tourists were being disrespectful.

Disrespectgful is making fotos and movies of people who didnt agreed to this, this is much more worse than making outside

a temple some gym, of course we can discuss about is this the right place for it, but then lets discuss about drinking and eating, making selfies, calling at exactly the same place would be nmuch better?

at the same place there is every year a big market with music, selling food and other stuff,

this is only about that Thai´s decide what a foreigner made wrong in their eyes and mind,

this behavier we call rassism in Europe, if 2 thais would do this, they would call it a thai thai culture performance and would charge every foreigner 100 abht cover charge

if we start upload what we see in thailand how thai people behaive in daily live, i guess they woud be very upset!

Lets make pics about the dirt in the streets, the thai traffic, how completely drunk many thais are on the street, how bad is their english, how stupid their kids,

its easy to find this things, peopel should if they like to post pics, post pices of theirselves or from

people who agreed with it.

If I would see anybody make pics of me or my family I would take his phone or camera and throw it to the next lake or destroy on an other way

• Like 1

Quick question....."greng jai" ? Nope, I haven't learned that expression yet...Means.......?

it is actually "Kreng Jai." Means "Awe heart or differential heart. It is strictly a Thai trait and not many farangs would have a clue. it is about being aware of other people's feelings and showing consideration, politeness and respect to them. It also relates to the Thai not wanting to lose face and if one shows Kreng Jai then they can help another save face. I think if one wants to show their Thai skills, then spell it correctly and show the other what the meaning is. It is only polite to do so but then does he know?

Actually I prefer "greng jai" although there is an ongoing debate with transcribing and transliterating.

Gaw gai is a thai letter that has a 'g' sound. When writing k, most foreigners say "k' sound. They will say Kalasin and Khon Kaen and wonder why Thais don't understand them. They are, of course, pronounced "Galasin" and "Khon Gaen"

And greng jai doesn't mean "heart" anything. The Thai word "jai" means "mind" like in "bplian jai", "jai yen", "jai ron" etc. "Hua jai" is heart.

Edited by Neeranam

it is actually "Kreng Jai." Means "Awe heart or differential heart. It is strictly a Thai trait and not many farangs would have a clue. it is about being aware of other people's feelings and showing consideration, politeness and respect to them. It also relates to the Thai not wanting to lose face and if one shows Kreng Jai then they can help another save face. I think if one wants to show their Thai skills, then spell it correctly and show the other what the meaning is. It is only polite to do so but then does he know?

Actually I prefer "greng jai" although there is an ongoing debate with transcribing and transliterating.

Gaw gai is a thai letter that has a 'g' sound. When writing k, most foreigners say "k' sound. They will say Kalasin and Khon Kaen and wonder why Thais don't understand them. They are, of course, pronounced "Galasin" and "Khon Gaen"

And greng jai doesn't mean "heart" anything. The Thai word "jai" means "mind" like in "bplian jai", "jai yen", "jai ron" etc. "Hua jai" is heart.

it can mean heart as in spirit . take heart, put your heart in it, he lost all heart

I don't think I need a lesson in the Thai language, and agree with what you have posted other then it does have the meaning, "Awe of heart" or another word that can be used is consideration and the spelling is with a K despite the sounding being "G." I made no mention of it relating to the actual heart, otherwise I would have stated, as you did, "Hua Jai."

However, do you understand what I wrote?. It is a Thai trait, part of their culture and relates to their feelings of others, not wanting to offend and to save face but not wanting to cause unhappiness to others. It does not relate directly to the heart, but feelings from the heart. as when many Thais say one is Jai di. This relates to the person having a good heart, or being a good person. it is how they feel about that person.

I don't think I need a lesson in the Thai language, and agree with what you have posted other then it does have the meaning, "Awe of heart" or another word that can be used is consideration and the spelling is with a K despite the sounding being "G." I made no mention of it relating to the actual heart, otherwise I would have stated, as you did, "Hua Jai."

However, do you understand what I wrote?. It is a Thai trait, part of their culture and relates to their feelings of others, not wanting to offend and to save face but not wanting to cause unhappiness to others. It does not relate directly to the heart, but feelings from the heart. as when many Thais say one is Jai di. This relates to the person having a good heart, or being a good person. it is how they feel about that person.

its a g in this well respected dictionary.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Standard-Thai-English-Dictionary-Tongsopit/dp/9749157184

• Like 2

its a g in this well respected dictionary.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Standard-Thai-English-Dictionary-Tongsopit/dp/9749157184

http://www.paiboonpublishing.com/details.php?prodId=36

as this even more respected, uses "g". In fact the only one that uses "k" that I know is the Thai Government, who don't accept criticism very well.

One guy wrote,

"I think if one wants to show their Thai skills, then spell it correctly and show the other what the meaning is. It is only polite to do so but then does he know?"

And now the thread has devolved into an argument about how to spell a Thai word in English. Which is of course nonsense.

Which is worse? Spelling a Thai word with a letter that you don't like or doing yoga at a Wat?

• Like 2

Yeah I think they could have picked a different venue for their acrobatics. I'm sure they meant no harm and probably just wanted to exercise while drawing a little attention to themselves. I think normally before doing something like this in a public setting a light bulb should switch on in your head telling you this is questionable let's find a different place to do it.

There's probably more than just "acrobatics" that offended.

Recall that female muay Thai fighters have to enter the ring under the ropes? Or that men can't stand under a washing line with female underwear hanging on it?

I daresay her position in the photo would have been offensive even outside the wat. You can't a muff higher than your head.

To me, those ideas are absurd superstitions, so there's no way I'll ever acknowledge that they're deep-seated cultural norms. People who have grown up believing in the importance of such precepts, can surely see how trivial they really are. Remember, you can't be disrespected by someone less ignorant than you. ;)

The point is showing respect for other's beliefs, religions, etc. I agree with spirituality being everywhere and not just in allocated places like animals in a zoo, but then practice what you preach. No need to shut on someone else's picnic table.

Bakeman, regardless of what Buddhism is about, those two circus clowns are guests in another country. It has nothing to do with religion. It has to do with being respectful and behaving in a socially acceptable manner. Do whatever you want in your own country. My girlfriend tells me to run a red light; I tell her no. It's not my country. I abide by the laws. (Most of the time). However, in my country I will run a light if I want. Up to me.

There's probably more than just "acrobatics" that offended.

Recall that female muay Thai fighters have to enter the ring under the ropes? Or that men can't stand under a washing line with female underwear hanging on it?

I daresay her position in the photo would have been offensive even outside the wat. You can't a muff higher than your head.

To me, those ideas are absurd superstitions, so there's no way I'll ever acknowledge that they're deep-seated cultural norms. People who have grown up believing in the importance of such precepts, can surely see how trivial they really are. Remember, you can't be disrespected by someone less ignorant than you. wink.png

lol! if they believe in the importance how can they see they are trivial at the same time?? do you ever read what you write??? lol

Edited by AYJAYDEE

Bakeman, regardless of what Buddhism is about, those two circus clowns are guests in another country. It has nothing to do with religion. It has to do with being respectful and behaving in a socially acceptable manner. Do whatever you want in your own country. My girlfriend tells me to run a red light; I tell her no. It's not my country. I abide by the laws. (Most of the time). However, in my country I will run a light if I want. Up to me.

I assume your home country has laws about running red lights, so it is not "up to you" at all, and quite correctly; likewise, were you to hit my kid by running a red light, it would, correctly, not be "up to me" to decide to murder you on sight in revenge, even though I would feel completely justified in doing so.

Jbauer, you have missed the point entirely. I have no qualms with the choice of running a red light in my home country. It is wrong, but I can decide whether to take that risk. As a guest in a foreign land, I should not have an option. Proper decorum tells me to obey the law. I am free to think what I want about the politics of another country, but not entitled to voice my opinions. I am; however, allowed, and encouraged through a voting system, to voice my concerns in the country of my citizenship where I pay taxes and vote. Thank you for your comments.