Young tourists performing yoga at sacred temple criticised in Thai media

webfact

At the risk of being roundly abused here, I simply for the life of me cannot see what is wrong in that photo. It isn't like they are smoking crack or doing rudies or anything?

Have you ever been to a Wat? Have you ever seen anyone doing anything like that at all or even close? How many times have you been in an Anglican church and seen people performing yoga and taking pictures?

They are in the grounds of the temple not in it, who has not seen people doing things like this in the grounds of a church? Where I come from the church ground is a popular place to hang out in the summer and is full of young people doing things like yoga, very normal behavior in parts of the UK.

Now, if you have been to India, have you ever seen people doing yoga at a Wat? I certainly have, not women though, and I fear that is the only issue here.

the grounds are part of the temple. everything inside the boundary is the wat.

Throw these idiots out of here ASAP. Can guess without any hesitation what nationality this is, no doubt...

So get them out. If no respect for the culture here, just go home, and spread your legs in Washington instead.

Where people are used to it.....

Glegolo

I heard they were Swedish. Do you have a source that says otherwise?

This is a sign outside a Thai temple in Petchabun. Makes it pretty clear what is considered unacceptable. If one is not supposed to hug others or wear tight-fitting clothes, then it's understandable that Thais would consider this (exhibitionist?) display inappropriate. [Yes - it's not 'hugging' per se, but there's clearly extended physical contact going on ... or do temples now have to post 'no cooperative-yoga' signs?]

CBD2751178E2446AAD416A5074AF1864.jpg

I have noticed the sign says "no pets" so look at this (and believe it's that way in most temples)

dogstemple.jpg

you know why are dogs allowed there? It's not really inside the temple but the outside grounds area just like those 2 were.

• Like 1

At the risk of being roundly abused here, I simply for the life of me cannot see what is wrong in that photo. It isn't like they are smoking crack or doing rudies or anything?

Have you ever been to a Wat? Have you ever seen anyone doing anything like that at all or even close? How many times have you been in an Anglican church and seen people performing yoga and taking pictures?

They are in the grounds of the temple not in it, who has not seen people doing things like this in the grounds of a church? Where I come from the church ground is a popular place to hang out in the summer and is full of young people doing things like yoga, very normal behavior in parts of the UK.

Now, if you have been to India, have you ever seen people doing yoga at a Wat? I certainly have, not women though, and I fear that is the only issue here.

the grounds are part of the temple. everything inside the boundary is the wat.

You got that wrong. The Wat and the grounds ARE the temple. Each building has a specific purpose and name (Viharn, Bot etc.). There is no building called a Wat. By the looks it is outside the boundary of what are the temple grounds as the wall is slightly further on. The historic Buddha was a student of Yogi's and Yoga. Fundamentalist nonsense. Yes, they could have worn more clothes. Anyone seeking more behind a Yoga posture which involves spread legs should probably seek professional help. It's judgmental ideas like these that are so not Buddhist.

• Like 2

Throw these idiots out of here ASAP. Can guess without any hesitation what nationality this is, no doubt...

So get them out. If no respect for the culture here, just go home, and spread your legs in Washington instead.

Where people are used to it.....

Glegolo

I heard they were Swedish. Do you have a source that says otherwise?

they never do, thinking before writing if not fancy nowadays.

Once more.

I am not defending what they did, though I don't really see what they were doing that was so wicked, they aren't actually in a sanctuary.

However I accept some may take offence. If they do they should let the people know. In person. To their face.

Instead they chose to post this picture and slag them off.

Cowards.

I guess we can do this again. You slag them off on line when you know they are on Facebook and easy to contact and that's OK. But it is not OK if they slag someone else off online?

It's two peas in a pod to me. They are slagging someone off after seeing a photo on line and you are slagging someone off after seeing a photo on line.

• Like 2

A group of farang was found doing a workout [at a temple], supposedly yoga. They spread their arms and legs while their friends were taking photos. This was done in public view of both locals and tourists," the caption said. Common temple etiquette requires visitors to remain calm, and act in a composed manner"

Boo hoo hoo

If they are doing something wrong then say so to their face instead of this cowardly, chicken crud online BS outrage campaign.

So many foreigners have such little respect for cultural norms in foreign countries. I would liken this to someone doing Yoga in the middle of my church sanctuary. Their actions were entirely inappropriate and if they get bashed enough maybe they will take their inconsiderate behavior elsewhere and those who are outraged by them getting bashed will have to be outraged over something else, so that is my story; bashers, the ball remains in your court. Your serve

Once more.

I am not defending what they did, though I don't really see what they were doing that was so wicked, they aren't actually in a sanctuary.

However I accept some may take offence. If they do they should let the people know. In person. To their face.

Cowards.

this about sums it up well

This is a sign outside a Thai temple in Petchabun. Makes it pretty clear what is considered unacceptable. If one is not supposed to hug others or wear tight-fitting clothes, then it's understandable that Thais would consider this (exhibitionist?) display inappropriate. [Yes - it's not 'hugging' per se, but there's clearly extended physical contact going on ... or do temples now have to post 'no cooperative-yoga' signs?]

I have noticed the sign says "no pets" so look at this (and believe it's that way in most temples)

dogstemple.jpg

you know why are dogs allowed there? It's not really inside the temple but the outside grounds area just like those 2 were.

You think they're pets?

[And what do you think might happen if Mr and Ms Hi-So Thai bring their little poodle with them when these temple dogs are about? By way of comparison: I might have a restaurant and own a pet dog, but that doesn't mean I want my customers bringing their dogs in with them.]

Edited by Docno

You got that wrong. The Wat and the grounds ARE the temple. Each building has a specific purpose and name (Viharn, Bot etc.). There is no building called a Wat. By the looks it is outside the boundary of what are the temple grounds as the wall is slightly further on. The historic Buddha was a student of Yogi's and Yoga. Fundamentalist nonsense. Yes, they could have worn more clothes. Anyone seeking more behind a Yoga posture which involves spread legs should probably seek professional help. It's judgmental ideas like these that are so not Buddhist.

nonsense, that small railing is not the boundary fence of the wat! and i SAID the grounds are part of the temple and the thai word for temple is wat!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Say you on an Internet forum 555

Lets see: Whose picture did I publish to name and shameoh, look no one.

If I saw someone doing something that I found offensive I would tell them.

Get me in contact with the knob head who started this campaign and I tell them what I think about their behaviour.

Remember the guy from the BTS who had a hole in his shoe, yet was vilified on the forums for having a camera shoe.

Netziens and their online outrage, make me want to puke.

Not much point if he can't understand you....same for the photographer if she can't speak the tourist's language.

Besides, it's too confrontational for most Thais.

The fact remains that the tourists were being disrespectful.

I speak thai well enough to let them know.

Did these tourists know they were being disrespectful? Was it deliberate?

If not do they deserve this type of cowardly online vilification?

Yes, they do. If they are visiting a country other than their own, they should make at least a nominal effort to familiarize themselves with the customs of that country. I've been here a long time,

but I think even on my first visit years ago I would have had the sense to figure out that this activity was not really appropriate at a temple. It may seem harmless to you, but you are not a Thai buddhist.

After all the berating of Chinese tourists for their ignorant behavior, this just goes to show that Westerners are just as capable of causing offense.

Here we go again.

I never said what they were doing was right. I said if they are being insensitive then tell them. To their face. There and then. Not launch a chicken crud campaign against them.

Remember all the abuse the guy with a whole in his shoe got because some idiot thought it was a shoe camera.

Campaigns like this are justly nasty little gossips and "behind your back finger pointers" getting their kicks to a wider audience.

Cowards.

dogstemple.jpg

You think they're pets?

[And what do you think might happen if Mr and Ms Hi-So Thai bring their little poodle with them when these temple dogs are about? By way of comparison: I might have a restaurant and own a pet dog, but that doesn't mean I want my customers bringing their dogs in with them.]

The little hiso poodle might end as a "scooby snack" for the temple "doggy minders" w00t.gif

That is not very "Buddhist" either. Then we can name and shame those terrible dogs on Facebook. w00t.gif

Another example of an overreaction by a Thai. coffee1.gif

At least a monk isn't slapping them, they are not drunk and are not in a bikini. blink.png

Sorry to dis-agree with you on this point!!!

It's not an over reaction by a Thai... it's Thai etiquette when you are within the grounds of a temple (even if you appear to be in a park)

Thais practice this behaviour when on sacred ground & expect other nationalities to respect their culture/belief/religion & follow suit!!

Motto: When in Rome do as the Romans do !!!!

Edited by fareastguy
  • Like 1

Once more.

Cowards.

I guess we can do this again. You slag them off on line when you know they are on Facebook and easy to contact and that's OK. But it is not OK if they slag someone else off online?

It's two peas in a pod to me. They are slagging someone off after seeing a photo on line and you are slagging someone off after seeing a photo on line.

Not the same at all.

I do not use and will not use FB.

If I saw someone doing something wrong I would say so. To their face. There and then.

I would not take a picture, post it on line and then bitch about their behaviour.

Just your typical foreigners in Thailand who can care less about the Thais nor their customs. Of course many on this forum tend to think the same sadly as already posted. The attitude i will do anything i please attitude towards the Thais is already having some serious karma coming back in all our faces. Pay back time is coming real soon if it has not started already. Keep up the good work stupid farang !

Another example of an overreaction by a Thai.

Not at all. I rather suspect the tourists wouldn't act the same way in a church, mosque or synagogue in their home country. Why should they even think it's remotely acceptable in a Buddhist temple?

They are also both dressed inappropriately to visit a temple. They have obviously spent no time learning about local ways and are completely devoid of any cultural sensitivity.
  • Like 1

dogstemple.jpg

You think they're pets?

The point is that monks chase away dogs if they attempt to enter the temple but they are allowed in that area. Also people don't have to take off shoes outside there, which clearly goes to show there is a difference.

Of course I am not saying that those kids were right, what I am saying is:

1. Thai should not expect foreigners to be informed of every custom especially since the area was not directly the place of worshiping.

2. Someone should have explained them, that's what I would have done if I was offended, not take pictures.

3. this was blown out of proportions because the govt is trying to push a wave of conservative restoration thru the country.

Thailand is a country that depends on tourism and because of it they are required to be more tolerant and possibly help foreigners understand when they are doing something offensive to them.

• Like 1

Once more.

Cowards.

Not the same at all.

If I saw someone doing something wrong I would say so. To their face. There and then.

I would not take a picture, post it on line and then bitch about their behaviour.

thais shy away from confrontation and you expecting them to react to a situation in the same way you would is arrogant

• Like 1

Come come Blue...,...It's hardly vilification as they are unidentified and will probably remain so.

Your Thai may well be better than the photographer's Hebrew/French/Dutch/French/English. What was she supposed to do as obviously she was outraged or offended.

Did they know? Probably not, and that's the point of the article; ignorant farang.

When in Rome......

That's blues.

And publishing their picture is appalling behavior in this context.

They are being vilified on forums carrying their picture.

Ans so they should be - why on earth are you defending them and blaming Thais? I think you have issues buddy.

I'm not your buddy.

Where do I blame Thais? I hate this vicious little online gossip behaviour worldwide.

Once more.

Cowards.

Not the same at all.

Can you imagine the reaction of a local reading your post? He would actually confront them? Alone? Without a dozen of his mates and clubs? How could it be?

Once more.

Cowards.

Not the same at all.

+1 respect

So happy you get that. Sadly most foreigners that travel and live here don,t. And they really don,t care.

Another example of an overreaction by a Thai. coffee1.gif

At least a monk isn't slapping them, they are not drunk and are not in a bikini. blink.png

Sorry to dis-agree with you on this point!!!

It's not an over reaction by a Thai... it's Thai etiquette when you are within the grounds of a temple (even if you appear to be in a park)

Thais practice this behaviour when on sacred ground & expect other nationalities to respect their culture/belief/religion & follow suit!!

Motto: When in Rome do as the Romans do !!!!

Once more.

Cowards.

Not the same at all.

thais shy away from confrontation and you expecting them to react to a situation in the same way you would is arrogant

Why would it be confrontational?

Are you saying Thais are incapable of politely pointing out inappropriate behaviour or getting someone with authority to do so for them?

If so, we have had very different experiences in Thailand.

Not the same at all.

"thais shy away from confrontation"

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif really? like reds and yellows? you could say that 10 years ago, not anymore. But thanks for the good laugh.