source for flat wound acoustic guitar strings

PMK

Online or Pattaya area.. Anybody know where I can buy some? (The music shop at the top of Tepprasit Rd does not have them. They do for electric, but not acoustic. Neither does Stringthai.com)

Thanks.

ebay.

is the best for this , your get them in about 12 days

Really? I haven't ordered anything from overseas for a very long time 'cause it would always get stolen or get hit with outrageous duties requiring a trip to customs. Do you guys order stuff like this regularly from eBay? Does it get delivered right to your door?

I've gotten acoustic strings at that shop at the top of Thepprasit before. I use Elixir strings. But they can be hit and miss with regards to availability. And they ain't cheap.

You can order them from ebay and such. I've got many friends who do this on a regular basis. There's also a music shop at Town in Town near Foodland. I've not been, but heard it's an OK shop.

I've never ordered from these guys, but might be worth a try:

http://pickandstring.weloveshopping.com/template/e1/s_product.php?groupproduct=444063&shopid=139178

Lots of options in Bangkok if you are in the area.

Flat wound. Like I said the Thepprasit store does not have them - not for acoustic. They were very helpful though - looked up a translation for "flat wound" and all that. The shop in soi Town in Town - the woman there is very nice but the last time I was there the old guy - her husband I guess - was super rude. I can't bring myself to go back. Yes, I know, my choice.

PickandString - I have a feeling that is the same outfit as stringthai.com, which is where I usually buy strings but he doesn't have those either.

Thanks anyway.

Pick the string manufacturer you prefer i.e. D'Addario, select the type number of the string.

Go to the OEM website and try to find Thai distributors. (D'Addario has 3 listed)

Send them an e-mail to see if they stock the required type, if yes, then money transfer , Thai EMS to doorstep.

If no, then wash, rinse repeat with another supplier.

Maybe difficult as not so popular in Thailand, maybe niche market like the Jazz scene?

Happy hunting !

get them from ebay

Thailand is hit miss, hit miss, you can get them via normal post.

stay away from any, Fedx, DHL, UPS, EMS, and all that, just get no cost or low cost post.

very easy to do from the chair your sitting in, it will be the correct ones aswell.

Have a nice day

get them from ebay

Thailand is hit miss, hit miss, you can get them via normal post.

stay away from any, Fedx, DHL, UPS, EMS, and all that, just get no cost or low cost post.

very easy to do from the chair your sitting in, it will be the correct ones aswell.

Have a nice day

Thanks - I'll look into it.

Pick the string manufacturer you prefer i.e. D'Addario, select the type number of the string. Go to the OEM website and try to find Thai distributors. (D'Addario has 3 listed) Send them an e-mail to see if they stock the required type, if yes, then money transfer , Thai EMS to doorstep. If no, then wash, rinse repeat with another supplier. Maybe difficult as not so popular in Thailand, maybe niche market like the Jazz scene? Happy hunting !

Good idea, but those strings are not listed, and emailing Thai companies in a situation like that is invariably a waste of time. I just wanted to try them out - I guess they are a sort of an oddball item. Thanks!

Edited by PMK

I ordered my strings from eBay, saved me almost 100 Baht a pack. Also guitar picks (100 pieces for 270 Baht including shipping...) and all sorts of other odds and ends... USB charger cables... All cheaper on eBay than in a shop. Takes max 2 weeks for delivery.

I ordered my strings from eBay, saved me almost 100 Baht a pack. Also guitar picks (100 pieces for 270 Baht including shipping...) and all sorts of other odds and ends... USB charger cables... All cheaper on eBay than in a shop. Takes max 2 weeks for delivery.

I couldn't find anyone that would ship regular mail - Just shipping was US $10 or more. Can you PM me the seller info?

Thanks.

ebay.

Really? I haven't ordered anything from overseas for a very long time 'cause it would always get stolen or get hit with outrageous duties requiring a trip to customs. Do you guys order stuff like this regularly from eBay? Does it get delivered right to your door?

Just got a dozen sets of Elixir strings from Strings & Beyond in USA. Good prices and a week to get them. No customs.

ebay.

Just got a dozen sets of Elixir strings from Strings & Beyond in USA. Good prices and a week to get them. No customs.

How much was shipping?

• Like 1

ebay.

I just did a test order. Didn't submit it, but the shipping for $70 worth of stuff was $13. Very reasonable. Sale on Elixir strings also. And they have flat wound strings also!

Great site. Thanks!!

ebay.

I just did a test order. Didn't submit it, but the shipping for $70 worth of stuff was $13. Very reasonable. Sale on Elixir strings also. And they have flat wound strings also!

Great site. Thanks!!

Did you notice this?

Elixir Strings are only available for shipment to addresses in the United States, Canada, U.S. Territories & Possessions, and APO FPO destinations.[/size]

>>You know, I read about that somewhere else before. Too bad. I like their coated strings. Last a lot longer here without rusting!

I've only be playing for a few years, and other than brief trials, always used D'Addario phosphor bronze, but they are starting to sound sort of harsh to me. What Elixir strings are you using and do you think they might be a bit more mellow?

I've got strings etc from this guy before in Bangkok, he does most of his stuff by mail. 50 Baht p&p if I remember correctly...

http://www.acousticshops.com/store/

Looks like this is the same guy that owns http://www.stringthai.com/ and I think one other string site as well.

Interesting. Competing against yourself like that, especially if there is minimal overhead, can be profitable. Someone checks 2/3 sites and figures they got a good picture of the whole market, or gets pissed with one, tries the second one. But the acousticshops site does have a lot more than just strings.

>>You know, I read about that somewhere else before. Too bad. I like their coated strings. Last a lot longer here without rusting!

I've only be playing for a few years, and other than brief trials, always used D'Addario phosphor bronze, but they are starting to sound sort of harsh to me. What Elixir strings are you using and do you think they might be a bit more mellow?

I'm relatively new to this also. I got my Martin D-18 new, and it obviously came with regular Martin strings. They were OK, but the Elixirs are soooo much nicer. Easy to slide, I do think they sound more mellow also, and best of all, they last quite a long time here as they aren't prone to rusting. Especially if you wipe them off after each use.

But I would think the D'Addario coated strings would probably be about the same. Luckily, my brother will be here in a month and can bring over a bunch of stuff. So, I'll just have the order sent to him and he can hand carry it.

• Like 1

Always used to use D'Adario EXP17 medium for many years which are very good but found that Elixer 11100 medium .013-.056 are smoother, brighter and last maybe five times as long

The Gortex coating gets a little furry if you leave them on for over long but does not seem to affect the tone over much

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Tum,

I think you made a good start - maybe hang out a bit here and other sites and be available for advice if anyone asks for it.

One thing I can tell you really pisses off this farang here, including my interaction with a very pleasant guy that I normally buy strings from online. I know Thais don't like to say 'no' but it's real irritating to me when I ask if something small, like a certain pick or something is available, and never get a response.

Happens all the time - not just with strings - and makes me not want to shop there again. How hard is it to email back "Sorry, I can't get that."? I'm sure if I asked for 50 sets of strings that he didn't have, I get an answer with alternatives or something. Don't make the same mistake. wink.png