Free Lunch at Central

Suradit69

Got to Central Festival on the Beach this morning when they first opened at 11:00. Friend and I went to the Food Court.

I got two slices of pizza and a drink. Friend had some Thai chicken dish with rice. Although there were many free tables in the area, a single male farang sat right next to us on the banquette at the back wall, which I thought was a little odd, but mai bpen rai.

I left the two outer crusts from the pizza and half my drink. Friend left some rice on his plate. Before we had even left the area, the farang was chowing down on the crusts, rice and remainder of my drink. He was a bit scruffy, but no worse than a lot of people you see along the beach.

Not really sure how I felt about it. Certainly felt sad that anyone would be reduced to feeding himself that way, but a little uncomfortable realizing that he had been sitting there hungry watching us eat, waiting to pounce as soon as we stood up to leave.

I had a fast food outlet in a food hall in Perth W.Aust. Used to see this all the time, and it wasn't just drunks and junkies, sometimes well dressed elders (obviously pensioners). I suppose if your really hungry and it's close to social security pay day......

• Like 1

Next time please buy a different type of pizza. I didn't enjoy today's one at all.

The rice was OK though.

"I didn't enjoy today's one at all."

Given how fast it disappeared, I doubt your tongue had a chance to register the taste at all.

• Like 1

I live next door to Central. The food court and the restaurants on the top floors are doing good with Bangkok Thais and other Asians. The low money Russians with their eye candy GF's are gone. The food court looks alot different now. For now the Chinese tour groups stay in bib busses. If they rent motorbikes like in Chang Mai we're in deep poop!

• Like 1

I had a fast food outlet in a food hall in Perth W.Aust. Used to see this all the time, and it wasn't just drunks and junkies, sometimes well dressed elders (obviously pensioners). I suppose if your really hungry and it's close to social security pay day......

I think the CITY of PERTH still bungs-on a Free Christmas Lunch for the "down and out, the lonely etc.," at the Park on Wellington Street, opposite 111 Wellington Street where Radio 96fm used to be.

i fear all of this is just the tip of the iceberg, perhaps the beginning

in the states they now have laws forbidding people to feed the homeless, go figure

if you have never been really truly hungry with no money you simply can NOT judge

waste not want not?

Edited by infinity11
  • Like 1

Geez. tonight I went to a 7-Eleven a bit away from the main tourist areas and there's a young farang, maybe late twenties to early 30's, sitting on the floor, out in front of the store, holding out a Styrofoam bowl for handouts.

Note to self: Stay out of Suradit69's neighborhood and dining areas. LOL

On a serious note that is a sad state of affairs and am surprised that the Police don't notice this and attempt to get these people to their embassies.

In the 60's my sister and her best friend did the 'european tour'.

working their way when they could.

Coming home after 3 months of travel they had no money and were waiting for the ferry.

2 young guys ordered large beakfasts and my sister and her friend were looking at the food with envious eyes.

One guy said to the other'.I don;t feel hungry now.Do you?'

With which the 2 of them gave their unstarted breakfasts to the 2 girls...

How time have changed.

in the states they now have laws forbidding people to feed the homeless, go figure

if you have never been really truly hungry with no money you simply can NOT judge

waste not want not?

I'm not familiar with the law you mentioned in the US about forbidding people from feeding the homeless (maybe you can provide a link?) but I suspect that you are quoting it out of context and their is more to it then that. Anyway you should also mention that there are many free places to eat for the homeless in every large city. These are usually run by either the city or by various religious groups. Also there are many food distribution centers that distribute donated bulk food to families. Their are many problems in dealing with the homeless in the US as many have mental health issues as well as drug and alchol addition. Those homeless people in the US that go hungry do so mainly because they are either to lazy to go to a free kitchen or someway incapacitated due to their drinking/drug problem or mental health problems.

Mostly what i read was about some local laws, if you are interested google it, i doubt this is BS.

Just one small stab at liberty at a time.

Until...

In tough times you gotta do what you gotta do

Perhaps someone "stuck" in Thailand

No money and nowhere to go

Or perhaps just trying to save some money

Perhaps go visit again tomorrow and see if the same person is there

If he is ... ask them what their story is

waste not want not?

I'm not familiar with the law you mentioned in the US about forbidding people from feeding the homeless (maybe you can provide a link?) but I suspect that you are quoting it out of context and their is more to it then that. Anyway you should also mention that there are many free places to eat for the homeless in every large city. These are usually run by either the city or by various religious groups. Also there are many food distribution centers that distribute donated bulk food to families. Their are many problems in dealing with the homeless in the US as many have mental health issues as well as drug and alchol addition. Those homeless people in the US that go hungry do so mainly because they are either to lazy to go to a free kitchen or someway incapacitated due to their drinking/drug problem or mental health problems.

waste not want not?

Ft. Lauderdale arrested members of a private charity group from giving out free meals to homeless. It's out of control there and there are homeless everywhere. They graze salad bars and garbage cans. they are like stray dogs.

• Like 1