Long Term Savings Account.

My wife and I have decided to look into a long term savings plan. In the U.K there are a number of tax-free accounts that can offer reasonable returns with no huge lump just regular payments into the account..

I'm interested in knowing what works for everyone else. It will all be in her name so there is no visa/permit requirments etc! She brought home some details from 'Muang Thai Bank' with details of a scheme that allows you to save for upto 21 years. The problem is by the time she had explained it the way she understood it, I still knew nothing.

So any straight advice would be welcome.

So any straight advice would be welcome.

My wife came home with a proposal from Bkk Bank the other day - the way it was written was most confusing - basically it was a 15 year scheme, you made payments for 10 years and left the sum deposited for a further 5 years. However, the way they showed interest accumulation it appeared that you were getting 20% in the first years, which of course is nonsense. When you total up payments and guaranteed redemption level after the 15 years however, the return appeared to be around 5% p.a.

I was not in favour of it but told her to do as she wishes just to keep the peace.

I think you would do better investing in mutual funds offshore. The only advantage I could see with the bank proposal was that the returns appeared to be "guaranteed".