Don’t sound the death knell for the PC just yet

thai tech

Don’t sound the death knell for the PC just yet

702x336xlenovo-desktop-thinkcentre-m92-t

LAS VEGAS (AP) — A year ago, pundits were declaring the personal computer dead. Smartphones and tablets were cannibalizing sales, and the once-revolutionary PC seemed unnecessary — and boring.

Sure, a smartphone is great for checking emails, snapping photos and playing games. Tablets are perfect for watching videos and shopping online. But don’t count the PC out just yet. Manufacturers are crafting high-resolution, curved screens for desktops and other new features you can’t get in a hand-held device, while trying new laptop designs that mimic the tablet’s appeal.

Read more: http://tech.thaivisa.com/dont-sound-death-knell-pc-just-yet/

PCs (and MACs) continue to have many, many uses where other devices are less suitable or convenient.

In my arsenal I have 2 Windows desktops, 2 Windows laptops and a Unix desktop, plus an Android tablet. Thinking about an Android phone too.facepalm.gif

Think of it as a tool kit.... whistling.gif

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

Notice how a lot of web pages now look like Android screens? Paypal's main page is a great example.

Yeah, phones and tablets are great when you're on the go. But, for example, when I do the monthly accounts it would be hell having to do it on an Android tablet. Also Android's security is an accident waiting to happen.

• Like 1

Remember all those folks who either bent or broke their iPhone-6 after sitting on them? Well soon Apple is coming out with a curved-screen phone that will automatically adjust itself to the unique curvature of the owner's butt. Seriously!

• Like 1

The trend is definitely going mobile, and desktops (workhorse) PCs are on the way out. Curved screens are gimics. If you need to do something more processor intensive, the trend will be to fire up an instance in a cloud server, and use your tablet, whatever to provide "instructions" to the cloud instance to process whatever.

Mobile processors = less energy required, less heat, cheaper.

There are still some interface quirks to work out re: touch / voice / keyboard mouse with mobile devices, but I'm thinking within a couple years, most people will be able to just plug in their mobile phones (or "cast/airplay") to a big screen and be able to accomplish 90% of tasks they will need done.