Trek Domane 6.9 Disc

villagefarang

I seemed to have reached my upper distance range on my mountain bike (80 km) and have been thinking about getting a road bike in an effort to up my speed and distance. I have actually been doing some road rides with the suspension locked out and the tires pumped up to see how I feel about road compared to dirt. I was looking at this bike online and then today I walked into my local bike shop and there was one sitting there in just the right size. It is supposed to be more endurance oriented, sturdier and more forgiving than a full on racing bike and it looks like it will handle my weight, the roads and the mountains up here. Just wondering if anyone has ridden one or knows of any weaknesses that I might be overlooking.

post-44431-0-98488400-1420632299_thumb.j

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 electronic drivetrain
  • Shimano RS785 hydraulic Di2 brakes
  • Bontrager Affinity Elite Tubeless Ready wheelset
  • Bontrager RXL IsoZone carbon handlebar
  • Bontrager Paradigm RXL saddle w/carbon rails

Dura Ace electronic drivetrain costs a fortune......NICE

I never understood the point of the hydraulic brakes, even in my best times at real high mountains I could get the normal brakes only once to smoke (but still working). I doubt there are mountains in Thailand that makes it possible to burn the brakes unless you are a combination of very heavy, very strong and very bolt downhill racer.

I worry about the carbon frames, they don't like damage so I bought an aluminum instead. 1-2 kg more heavy isn't a problem for me as I am not into races.

It's a nice bike, you should also consider Giant Defy Advanced SL ISP, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Disc or a Cannondale Synapse. They Defy is the only one out of them, including the Trek Domane, that doesn't use a gimmicky isocoupler/micro suspension thingy though.

Ultimately, ride it and if you like it buy it! :-)

Disc brakes only important in wet weather.

You don't see any pros using them.

Drop bars hurt my back, I get the idea you are fairly old, so they'll probably hurt your back too.

Get the right frame size this time.

Frame size should be 2/3 your inside leg measurement. Don't let them convince you a small one will work like they did with the last one.

The Trek website clearly lists correct sizing.

A mate of mine rides for team sky and I asked him why not use disks he said time tuck to Chang the wheel.And as for carbon frame Iam heavyweight and mine hasn't broken or seat post.Only problem Iam having with all the light stuff is after 3 years the rimes are starting to crack at the spokes.

It's a nice bike, you should also consider Giant Defy Advanced SL ISP, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Disc or a Cannondale Synapse. They Defy is the only one out of them, including the Trek Domane, that doesn't use a gimmicky isocoupler/micro suspension thingy though.

The bikes you listed look really nice but I would not be able to source them locally, see them or try them first. Since the one in the shop is not a 2015 the price they offered is not bad compared to what I have seen online. If this wasn’t such an easy or convenient buy I would probably be more reluctant. I also happen to like Trek and feel I get a little more bang for the buck here in Thailand with Trek. This shop has been very good to me so I like to support them when I can.

I have heard of riders destroying lightweight rims, especially carbon, on the downhills around here. Even my mt. bike can get over 60 kmh pretty quickly on some roads and the breaks get really hot. So I definitely want disc, plus the geometry of this bike is not all that bad. If I set the bars so the angle is similar to my mt. bike in the top hand positions then there is also the option to ride lower if speed and conditions require it.
Yes I am getting old but I am fighting it every step of the way and riding is one of my allies in the fight plus I want to cover more distance during my three to four hour rides.

I had a motorcycle before and found I didn’t ride my old entry level mt. bike as much during that time. I eventually got tired of the motorbike scene and sold it. I told myself at the time that I would allow myself the luxury of pouring that money back into bicycles and have slowly been doing just that.

As I get older I find myself much more appreciative of good health and nice things. I have always liked driving for example but driving is much more fun in a nice car and I really noticed the difference with each upgrade to my mt. bike and began riding more and enjoying it more as the bike got better. Now I have a better idea what I want so would prefer to buy something I don’t need to upgrade, piece by piece.
I just want to ride and not have to tinker with the darn thing all the time and this bike I am looking at seems to check all the boxes for me.

A mate of mine rides for team sky and I asked him why not use disks he said time tuck to Chang the wheel.And as for carbon frame Iam heavyweight and mine hasn't broken or seat post.Only problem Iam having with all the light stuff is after 3 years the rimes are starting to crack at the spokes.

There are several different ways on putting the spokes and different amounts of spokes. I don't know too much about it, but going with the highest amount of spokes and right setup should do the trick.

I would be very afraid of cracks. I just imagine you go fast down a hill, hit something and the wheel brakes and you bite into the steering.....

I had a motorcycle before and found I didn’t ride my old entry level mt. bike as much during that time. I eventually got tired of the motorbike scene and sold it. I told myself at the time that I would allow myself the luxury of pouring that money back into bicycles and have slowly been doing just that.

As I get older I find myself much more appreciative of good health and nice things. I have always liked driving for example but driving is much more fun in a nice car and I really noticed the difference with each upgrade to my mt. bike and began riding more and enjoying it more as the bike got better. Now I have a better idea what I want so would prefer to buy something I don’t need to upgrade, piece by piece.
I just want to ride and not have to tinker with the darn thing all the time and this bike I am looking at seems to check all the boxes for me.

I think for some hobby rider it doesn't make a difference between the medium class (say 30-40.000 Baht) and the high end (>60.000 to infinity). But it is a joy to see and enjoy such a technical masterpiece.

When I was 20-25, body was excellent but bike crap. Now bike is excellent and body crap (not true but it doesn't get better with age).

As I said I only tuck up cycling at about 50 but expensive does make a difference which before I would have said a bike is a bike.I soon was doing 30 40 miles.But got on mates go to work ride and was dead buy 5 miles.

No expensive isn't the point. I just read about spokes and there are solutions with 24-48 and lots of different ways to put them so they can either stay more torque or more weight.

There are even setups for tandems, so it should be easy to find a good solution that doesn't brake.

The bikes you listed look really nice but I would not be able to source them locally, see them or try them first. Since the one in the shop is not a 2015 the price they offered is not bad compared to what I have seen online. If this wasn’t such an easy or convenient buy I would probably be more reluctant. I also happen to like Trek and feel I get a little more bang for the buck here in Thailand with Trek. This shop has been very good to me so I like to support them when I can.

I have heard of riders destroying lightweight rims, especially carbon, on the downhills around here. Even my mt. bike can get over 60 kmh pretty quickly on some roads and the breaks get really hot. So I definitely want disc, plus the geometry of this bike is not all that bad. If I set the bars so the angle is similar to my mt. bike in the top hand positions then there is also the option to ride lower if speed and conditions require it.

Yes I am getting old but I am fighting it every step of the way and riding is one of my allies in the fight plus I want to cover more distance during my three to four hour rides.

Guess I'm lucky down in BKK and can see them all :-) Almost spoilt for choice with all the bike shops around, really doesn't help the health of my bank account!

I've just switched to carbon wheels (Reynolds Assault SLG), and can say I've noticed a significant drop in the amount of perceived effort it takes to maintain an average speed around 30kmh. On top of that, the braking performance is much improved over the original spec kit on my bike, which contradicts what many have said online! Normally carbon rim failure is down to overheating, and these days restricted to the cheap Chinese wheels. If they are good enough for the pro peloton, then they're good enough for mere mortals like us!

Just buy it, you won't regret it :-)

The only reason that they don't use disc brakes in the world tour is because the UCI hasn't licensed them for use, and there are concerns about how to implement the change, with the favored approached being a Big Bang with all manufacturers using disc versions of their bikes at the same time. Some riders are also concerned about the damage a hot disc would do to people in the event of a pile up.

I agree, disc brakes remain banned for UCI sanctioned road events. No question they are the way of the future, though some tweaking still needed by the manufacturers - witness the SRAM recall due performance issues. Disc brakes are a mature technology on MTB, so I think the roadie stuff will catch on quickly; there are just too many pros for all weather consistency and reduction in rim temp. That doesn't mean they are the magic panacea, I've overtemped all brake types on extended downhills, and the tyre/surface grip is always limiting....

Carbon frames? Well I started road riding very late, coming from a MTB downhill background where I'm still dubious about tomahawking a carbon bike down the rock garden. But for road riding, I have a Focus Izalco Ergoride in Thailand and a Giant Defy Advanced elsewhere. Both are relaxed sportive geometry in carbon. The Focus is very comfortable (I've done a few 150+km days on it) and handles downhill better. The Giant feels stiffer and more responsive and gets 5 stars from bike radar vs 4.5.

The Domane? Trek make good bikes. Electric shifting is apparently great, but I've yet to try it - maybe I shouldn't!!

Bottom line is you probably should buy it to let us know how it goes

I agree, disc brakes remain banned for UCI sanctioned road events. No question they are the way of the future, though some tweaking still needed by the manufacturers - witness the SRAM recall due performance issues. Disc brakes are a mature technology on MTB, so I think the roadie stuff will catch on quickly; there are just too many pros for all weather consistency and reduction in rim temp. That doesn't mean they are the magic panacea, I've overtemped all brake types on extended downhills, and the tyre/surface grip is always limiting....

Carbon frames? Well I started road riding very late, coming from a MTB downhill background where I'm still dubious about tomahawking a carbon bike down the rock garden. But for road riding, I have a Focus Izalco Ergoride in Thailand and a Giant Defy Advanced elsewhere. Both are relaxed sportive geometry in carbon. The Focus is very comfortable (I've done a few 150+km days on it) and handles downhill better. The Giant feels stiffer and more responsive and gets 5 stars from bike radar vs 4.5.

The Domane? Trek make good bikes. Electric shifting is apparently great, but I've yet to try it - maybe I shouldn't!!

The main (only?) reason for disc brakes on road bikes is so one can ride full carbon wheels down any grade, especially in wet weather, without risk of overheating the rim.

I know 3 riders who have blown out carbon wheels descending the switchbacks on the Samoeng loop here. I personally don't know anyone who has ever crashed because of overheating an aluminum/alloy rim on a descent anywhere, though I'm sure I'll now hear about it.

So unless you're going for carbon wheels, there isn't much need for disc brakes on a road bike.

The Domane 6.9 is still a nice bike.

It took me a moment to figure that out.

The main (only?) reason for disc brakes on road bikes is so one can ride full carbon wheels down any grade, especially in wet weather, without risk of overheating the rim.

I know 3 riders who have blown out carbon wheels descending the switchbacks on the Samoeng loop here. I personally don't know anyone who has ever crashed because of overheating an aluminum/alloy rim on a descent anywhere, though I'm sure I'll now hear about it.

So unless you're going for carbon wheels, there isn't much need for disc brakes on a road bike.

The Domane 6.9 is still a nice bike.

Apologies for the thread drift! Modulation, feel and use of available power equals brakes that are just safer! albeit a little heavier and less aero. On carbon rims, poor braking - particularly in the wet - heat dissipation problems leading to possible rim/tyre failure are real concerns I agree. Other benefits include no rim wear and maintaining function on out of true wheels.

The reason the UCI is unwilling to sanction mixed use within the peloton is that it would be carnage!

Yesterday I stopped by the shop to select matching peddles and shoes, something I will have to get used to, as I have never used anything but standard peddles before. I also selected the Node 2.1 as it is small and syncs nicely with all the built in sensors while providing all the information I might need.

I took the peddle to seat measurement off my mt. bike and Peak used that as a base to setup the bike. We are the same height but my legs are a little bit longer so our setups are pretty close.
It feels great even though the reach is very different to that of a mt. bike. The seat to bar angle is almost the same but the hoods are further out than the neutral end grips on my mt. bike. The standing position feels balanced and I will give it a try on some of the climbs. I don’t suspect I will be using the drop bars too much until I get used to the position.
So I picked up the bike this afternoon and it is sitting here next to me, ready for a first ride tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes.
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Even with the extras I only paid around 190K, which is still a lot. I won't be leaving it unattended, and I am always thoughtful and attentive, so I don't really get too worried about stuff like that. I understand that just because I haven't been ripped off over the last 38 years doesn't mean it won't happen tomorrow, but I like my odds.

Even with the extras I only paid around 190K, which is still a lot. I won't be leaving it unattended, and I am always thoughtful and attentive, so I don't really get too worried about stuff like that. I understand that just because I haven't been ripped off over the last 38 years doesn't mean it won't happen tomorrow, but I like my odds.

That' is a good deal, I paid only 4k less for my 2013 Rabobank TCR SL ISP back in March, and I only got mechanical Duraace 9000. Not complaining though, I love my bike and wouldn't change it for the world. I have a slightly more aggressive riding position to you though. Here's how she looks after some nice new wheels ;-)

post-22504-1421249788467_thumb.jpg

That' is a good deal, I paid only 4k less for my 2013 Rabobank TCR SL ISP back in March, and I only got mechanical Duraace 9000. Not complaining though, I love my bike and wouldn't change it for the world. I have a slightly more aggressive riding position to you though. Here's how she looks after some nice new wheels ;-)

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1421249784.178588.jpg

Lovely bike and yes a bit more aggressive. My seat is probably just a touch lower than in the stock photo I posted. I suppose I should get my wife to snap a few photos.

I seemed to have reached my upper distance range on my mountain bike (80 km) and have been thinking about getting a road bike in an effort to up my speed and distance.

Congratulations on your purchase, that is a really nice bike.

Hope you will like road biking. Of course, if distance and speed is important to you, you probably will.

Personally, I find zipping along asphalt strips somewhat boring and -given all the lunatics on four wheels who share it- also quite hazardous, but that's just me.

Since not too many people who ride MTB also ride road bikes, please let us know how you fare and how your road riding affects your MTB training, and vice versa. That would be quite interesting.

Cheers, CM-Expat

I seemed to have reached my upper distance range on my mountain bike (80 km) and have been thinking about getting a road bike in an effort to up my speed and distance.

Congratulations on your purchase, that is a really nice bike.

Hope you will like road biking. Of course, if distance and speed is important to you, you probably will.

Personally, I find zipping along asphalt strips somewhat boring and -given all the lunatics on four wheels who share it- also quite hazardous, but that's just me.

Since not too many people who ride MTB also ride road bikes, please let us know how you fare and how your road riding affects your MTB training, and vice versa. That would be quite interesting.

Cheers, CM-Expat

Don't worry you have an MTB and road loving friend in BKK too ;-)

Only problem around here is the lack of off road trails, there's a new pump track opening not far from my home, and a little bit further away is the Army's Club 11 off road trail, but neither are the same as some good single track riding. But it's hard to get out of the city with work and family commitments (especially when the rest of the family aren't really in to cycling of any sort!), so this inevitably leads to a preference for the road ;-)

Okay, I’m just back from my first ride. I wasn’t looking to set any records but I wanted to put the bike through its paces so I opted for a 73 km route with options to cut it short if necessary.

I guess I was a bit hyped up at first so found my speed, cadence and heartbeat were a bit high for the first 20 km or so. I eventually settled down as I got more comfortable on the bike and my heartbeat dropped about 20 to 25 beats.
The seat is a little firmer than I am used to but it was not uncomfortable and I don’t feel any aftereffects from it. I still feel a bit extended out on the hoods but the top of the bar is very comfortable and relaxed. The drop bar position feels pretty good on faster downhills but I can't yet see myself down that low for long distances.
The electric gears are just way too much fun and on hilly roads I was playing with them a lot. The locking mechanism on the pedals seemed to be the thing I worried about the most so I stopped every so often to have a drink and practice unclipping in an effort to develop a routine. Though I found the clips a little unnerving at first, I noticed the improved efficiency and control.
The overall feel was smoother than I had hoped for and with the same effort I seemed to be doing 4 or 5 km faster than before. It was cool enough today that I wore two shirts so that could have a lot to do with my not feeling as fatigued after what was a reasonably long ride for me. Hot weather may be a better test.
When I began riding the mt. bike it was just a means of transportation to get me out into nature and take pictures. For some reason this last year I started focusing more on the ride and less on the photography. As I started riding further I ended up spending more time on roads as I connected dirt sections. At first I really didn’t like the road very much but that started to change as I got more accustomed to it.
Now, fitness has taken over as the focus of my riding. The endorphin rush, later the exhausted stupor and the increasing power in my legs are things I missed from my squash days. For something so new and different I was surprised how good I felt today and look forward to another ride before flying down to Bangkok to visit friends this weekend.

Archived