Trek Domane 6.9 Disc

villagefarang

For the most part roads are pretty good around here but there are rough stretches. That is one reason I got the Domane. I think that and my 90 kg had more to do with it than speed.

90Kg ......... how can you ride so far and still be 15Kg overweight?

I do less than 1/2 your cycling (about 125Km/week), and have trouble keeping my weight (75Kg)

Not to mention you paid an extra 200,000bht for a bicycle 2.5Kg lighter bike than mine.

Maybe 90Kg was a typo?

What is the problem with it? For me the bike makes no difference at all on the weight, just I eat double if I go 80 km.

I don't seem to have any trouble maintaining my 94 kg. It just requires a bit of commitment.

I think the cycling helps, as there's a lot of calories in cider in the afternoon.

I have to say, though, VF, you don't look 90 kg - you might want to get your scales calibrated.

I don't quite see how 90 kg is 15 kg overweight. Everyone has their own perfect fighting weight,

SC

If you bike a lot and pedal hard you may got very muscular (below still some bacon). Muscle is much more heavy than fat.

What counts is not the weight it is the fat, and the trouser and the belt is way better way to measure than the scale.

You get some good cider here? Where I come from the cider must be without sugar, pretty sour from sour apples. All I kind find here is some sweet thing. Did you find a sour cider?

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

90Kg ......... how can you ride so far and still be 15Kg overweight?

I do less than 1/2 your cycling (about 125Km/week), and have trouble keeping my weight (75Kg)

Not to mention you paid an extra 200,000bht for a bicycle 2.5Kg lighter bike than mine.

Maybe 90Kg was a typo?

What is the problem with it? For me the bike makes no difference at all on the weight, just I eat double if I go 80 km.

I don't seem to have any trouble maintaining my 94 kg. It just requires a bit of commitment.

I think the cycling helps, as there's a lot of calories in cider in the afternoon.

I have to say, though, VF, you don't look 90 kg - you might want to get your scales calibrated.

I don't quite see how 90 kg is 15 kg overweight. Everyone has their own perfect fighting weight,

SC

Surely we have all noticed that everyone is different. Different body types and metabolisms lead to different outcomes from similar exercise. I still have a fair bit of muscle memory from my days of weightlifting and squash but I would be much happier at 80 kg than my present 90. I only ride a couple times a week because I hate routine and that apparently isn’t enough to reduce my weight. I feel much stronger as my distance increases and do well if I stay in zone 3 and 4 but I am a terrible climber and really suffer when I drift into zone 5 on the hills.

I swear my wife eats more than I do but in our 18 years together she hasn't fluctuated more than a kilo or two in either direction. I inhale around food and put on weight so I have to be very strict or workout very hard which gets harder as I get older. My wife worries if I don't eat and continually tempts me with things I find hard to resist. They say life isn't fair but I am so very blessed in so many ways that if all I have to worry about is a few extra kilos then I think I shall suffer in silence and see if I can't muster a bit more discipline. I fear I might become insufferable if were to manage a level of fitness I possessed in my forties. Perhaps my weight humanizes me just a bit.wink.png

Beside differences in people which of course do exist. If it seems someone eats a lot, it is often not true. Lets say you and your wife eat exactly the same and the body uses the same (which would be strange, but just as example) and you drink in the evening 1 beer, while your wife drinks water. You would gain 1 kg every month or 12 kg in one year.

Also reducing weight with exercise is total unfair...because what you burn is always less than you imagine (and way less all these electronic gadgets tell you), but you get hungry like a bear for the next 2 days, so you eat more.

Easiest is to cut away the carbs.....most important sugar and easy to digest things like white rice. My wife thinks/thought I'll die if I don't eat rice for 1 day. And when I get slim she tells I look like a narcotic user and she is very ashamed going somewhere with me crazy.gif And a real man who is the boss must have some belly, only labor are slim crazy.gif

When I began and went 20 km with the bike she asked me why I am so crazy and overdo things....now at 90 she doesn't comment anymoregigglem.gif

What makes me gain weight is beer.....Now I stop beer for a while which makes me very sad.....

If you bike a lot and pedal hard you may got very muscular (below still some bacon). Muscle is much more heavy than fat.

What counts is not the weight it is the fat, and the trouser and the belt is way better way to measure than the scale.

I started off at 90Kg with a 40" waist a few years back.

Last year resized to 34", earlier this year I moved to a 32" waist.

Just lately my trousers have started slipping off me, again, and I'm thinking of buying some 30" jeans.

(not seen that size for over 30 years)

I've cut back my hill climbs from the zoo to Wat Doi Suthep, down from 4x to 2x a week in an attempt to stop shrinking to nothing.

But the legs are becoming a bit of a problem ..... now at zero fat, some unsightly hollows appearing.

Just a couple of Kg left around the waist, where I don't want it.

Never seen any overweight cyclists (players) on the hill, they seem to vary from slim to freakish.

Hoping to avoid the freak stage, but am unable to give up that hill.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

What makes me gain weight is beer.....Now I stop beer for a while which makes me very sad.....

Calm down, man, isn't that a step too far? It's not that desperate!

Only for a limited time....maybe Monday from 8-10 AM every second week laugh.png

For some reasons the trousers are getting smaller (must be the chlorine in the washing-water annoyed.gif).

So I need to do something before it gets out of hand....

Just lately my trousers have started slipping off me, again, and I'm thinking of buying some 30" jeans.

I've cut back my hill climbs from the zoo to Wat Doi Suthep, down from 4x to 2x a week in an attempt to stop shrinking to nothing.

But the legs are becoming a bit of a problem ..... now at zero fat, some unsightly hollows appearing.

Never seen any overweight cyclists (players) on the hill, they seem to vary from slim to freakish.

30"....nice I am now at 31, but would fit in 30 with enough force laugh.png

But half a year or 3/4 year ago I could fit in a 29".

Just the problem on the normal 31 inch jean I start get problems fitting the legs in.

Against freakish: Lift weights....actually Bodybuilding. With lots of bicycle you won't get massive muscles, at maximum you get Bruce Lee-ish. To keep the upper body in scale with the legs.

(I didn't look it up if you do MTB or street bike. With the MTB you already do a lot upper body exercise, but I hanging on the tribar I don't do anything.) Actually in the past I had some back pain on the bike, but since I do dead-lifts and squats that is total gone.

Maybe my problem is that I don't drink alcohol.tongue.png Perhaps I should start.biggrin.png

I'll be happy to buy you a beer for all your contributions here. I'll buy you a second one if you'll invite me on a ride next time I'm in CR. I'd offer you a third beer but you really need to train for that.

Maybe my problem is that I don't drink alcohol.tongue.png Perhaps I should start.biggrin.png

I'll be happy to buy you a beer for all your contributions here. I'll buy you a second one if you'll invite me on a ride next time I'm in CR. I'd offer you a third beer but you really need to train for that.

You can buy me as many beers as you wish if you will do me a favor and drink them for me.wink.png

You can buy me as many beers as you wish if you will do me a favor and drink them for me.wink.png

I could do that for you licklips.gif

quick question the wheel with the broken spoke: was it Bontrager?

Yes, it was the stock wheels that came on the bike.

On my mtb, after having problems, I had a custom wheel set made with Chris King hubs and Mavic rims and never had any problems after that. I am not sure if this Bontrager wheel set is strong enough for my weight and riding style. I will consult my guy this week and see what we can come up with.

I could do that for you licklips.gif

A volunteer is worth ten pressed men

If the limit is 125 kg that he is not even close to the limit.

If the limit is 125 than the bike must hold it in every condition and age, so it must be calculate for 250. If you have a 300 bar scuba tank than there won't be some which explode already at 200 bar. They won't explode at 400 bar as well because of a big safety margin.

Of course a drop or a rock can easily brake them....no complain if that happens but in normal usage it should not, extreme dangerous.

Perhaps somewhat true about the frame itself, but as a formerly 115kg rider I can tell you that components will definitely warp/bend/bust more often the heavier you are, even if you haven't exceeded the 'weight limit' stated in the manual. Spokes, derailleur hanger, brake rotors, etc. These things are not over-engineered to the extent you might imagine. Frankly, even a 125kg weight limit seems optimistic and probably assumes fairly sedate riding.

My Trek mtb manual (for example) says that if you're over 200lbs (~90kg), best to forget about going off any sort of drops with this bike. Below that weight, I think the frame was rated for drops of about a foot (30cm). This surprised me. The bike is one of their mid-range hardtails - so not a full suspension DH bike, but still. I agree the frame can probably take a bit more than they warranty it for but I don't think 2x. Mass produced aluminum frame bikes are not designed to accommodate huge stresses from overweight daredevil riders, though I think in the future we will see bikes designed for heavy riders with a fitness orientation rather than the race mindset that currently dominates. Something like a steel touring bike but more sport adapted.

Anyway. Even at 95kg currently it doesn't take too much to bust a spoke or warp a brake rotor. It doesn't happen 'by itself' or all the time but a patch of uneven roadwork at 20kph or a touch of semi-hard braking coming down Doi Suthep can do it, and I consider those things pretty much within the error margin for normal riding around here.

Congrats and that is inspiring. But of course the weight loss is from running a caloric deficit rather than magic hill. :) You could try a few jars of peanut butter a week and maybe you'd be back to riding Suthep 4x.

BTW I see a few fat guys on the hill, myself included, but I think most people get kinda slim before they attempt it.

Personally I can out eat my exercise without too much difficulty, and I do about 15-20 hours of cardio a week. The benefit from cycling is that I can eat fairly normally without any soul-crushing deprivation and still lose a kg or so a month. But if I eat 'without regard', then I do gain weight.

quick question the wheel with the broken spoke: was it Bontrager?

Yes, it was the stock wheels that came on the bike.

On my mtb, after having problems, I had a custom wheel set made with Chris King hubs and Mavic rims and never had any problems after that. I am not sure if this Bontrager wheel set is strong enough for my weight and riding style. I will consult my guy this week and see what we can come up with.

I have many small issues, not really problems with the Bontrager things on my Trek, but it is a much cheaper bike so I can understand that things aren't perfect.

The Hubs were set wrong, but even after setting them correct they don't run as easy as Shimano one.

The Hubs leak oil

Twice I lost air and needed to replace the tube, fixed when I replaced the bontrager tire: reason unknown

Everything Bontrager start to rust without getting wet, even if it is chromed or otherwise surface coated...Now with getting wet it heavily rust

The rubber on the brakes is very strange, will have to replace it.

That is in my opinion a long list for 1 bicycle.

Congrats and that is inspiring. But of course the weight loss is from running a caloric deficit rather than magic hill. smile.png You could try a few jars of peanut butter a week and maybe you'd be back to riding Suthep 4x.

BTW I see a few fat guys on the hill, myself included, but I think most people get kinda slim before they attempt it.

Personally I can out eat my exercise without too much difficulty, and I do about 15-20 hours of cardio a week. The benefit from cycling is that I can eat fairly normally without any soul-crushing deprivation and still lose a kg or so a month. But if I eat 'without regard', then I do gain weight.

Instead of peanut butter I recommend McDonalds.....They can make everyone fat.....

I once met a heavy biker. He told me he was extreme fat, but after divorce he started bicycle and lost 30-50 kg (can't remember). I could blast him away up the mountain, but on the flat street he was just inhuman. Legs like a horse. I could barely keep in his wind-shadow and I was good that that time.

He was some kind of labor and did his work even when he was extreme fat and could keep the muscles while dieting. Impressive person.

If the limit is 125 kg that he is not even close to the limit.

If the limit is 125 than the bike must hold it in every condition and age, so it must be calculate for 250. If you have a 300 bar scuba tank than there won't be some which explode already at 200 bar. They won't explode at 400 bar as well because of a big safety margin.

Of course a drop or a rock can easily brake them....no complain if that happens but in normal usage it should not, extreme dangerous.

Perhaps somewhat true about the frame itself, but as a formerly 115kg rider I can tell you that components will definitely warp/bend/bust more often the heavier you are, even if you haven't exceeded the 'weight limit' stated in the manual. Spokes, derailleur hanger, brake rotors, etc. These things are not over-engineered to the extent you might imagine. Frankly, even a 125kg weight limit seems optimistic and probably assumes fairly sedate riding.

My Trek mtb manual (for example) says that if you're over 200lbs (~90kg), best to forget about going off any sort of drops with this bike. Below that weight, I think the frame was rated for drops of about a foot (30cm). This surprised me. The bike is one of their mid-range hardtails - so not a full suspension DH bike, but still. I agree the frame can probably take a bit more than they warranty it for but I don't think 2x. Mass produced aluminum frame bikes are not designed to accommodate huge stresses from overweight daredevil riders, though I think in the future we will see bikes designed for heavy riders with a fitness orientation rather than the race mindset that currently dominates. Something like a steel touring bike but more sport adapted.

Anyway. Even at 95kg currently it doesn't take too much to bust a spoke or warp a brake rotor. It doesn't happen 'by itself' or all the time but a patch of uneven roadwork at 20kph or a touch of semi-hard braking coming down Doi Suthep can do it, and I consider those things pretty much within the error margin for normal riding around here.

I think you are right.....But it is complete wrong. If I guarantee 125 kg it should hold 125. Lets say you put a trained 125 kg person on it, say a 2 meter guy who makes bodybuilding. That is very Volkswagen like. If it can't do 125 than they must rate it 90 kg, than it is OK if it brakes at 95 kg.

But maybe I think too much in terms of industry and it is just normal to cheat endcustomer.

I got down to 75kg from 85kg in just over 6 months just reducing rice intake by 80 to 90 percent and quitting alcohol but just gained 2kgs in a week from a holiday in Egypt. I too am down to a size 32" and like it. But I just can't seem to get rid of that last bit of belly fat. It does not matter how often I get out on my bike or how far (I work full time so twice a week max). For me, at least, it seems diet is the deciding factor and exercise just tones up the muscles and gives me the needed cardio.

Have been up Doi Suthep once when visiting and ended up pushing the back quite a bit of the way. Living in Bangkok, I am not used to the hills. But enjoyed myself greatly and the ride down was fun, even on a hire bike with dodgy brakes.

I got down to 75kg from 85kg in just over 6 months just reducing rice intake by 80 to 90 percent and quitting alcohol but just gained 2kgs in a week from a holiday in Egypt. I too am down to a size 32" and like it. But I just can't seem to get rid of that last bit of belly fat. It does not matter how often I get out on my bike or how far (I work full time so twice a week max). For me, at least, it seems diet is the deciding factor and exercise just tones up the muscles and gives me the needed cardio.

Have been up Doi Suthep once when visiting and ended up pushing the back quite a bit of the way. Living in Bangkok, I am not used to the hills. But enjoyed myself greatly and the ride down was fun, even on a hire bike with dodgy brakes.

Last belly fat is hard to get rid of.....try to reduce carbs to almost zero....for some people easy for other hard. And than try not to eat too much fat......than isn't much left, but it works......

At 63kg, I quite like that bit of belly fat I have left smile.png

Depends on how tall you are....at 1.40 it is a lot belly fat, while if you are 1.80 it isn't much laugh.png

I am 1.70, relative muscular but not bodybuilder like and at 68 kg there is quite a bit. At 63 kg there is a good 6pack......

The question is have a 6pack or drink a 6pack facepalm.gif

Depends on how tall you are....at 1.40 it is a lot belly fat, while if you are 1.80 it isn't much laugh.png

I am 1.70, relative muscular but not bodybuilder like and at 68 kg there is quite a bit. At 63 kg there is a good 6pack......

1.80 unless I'm shrinking in all directions.

Stick to a 3 pack myself. Cans are bigger biggrin.png

1.80 unless I'm shrinking in all directions.

Stick to a 3 pack myself. Cans are bigger biggrin.png

1.80 and 63 kg w00t.gif

and belly fat w00t.gif belly fat 1 cm and rest like Bruce Lee?

I was 26 km into my own little Bike for Dad ride earlier today when I blew a spoke on the back wheel. Heard the noise and thought it was a rock at first. Later I looked down and the back wheel seemed to have a slight wobble in it. Not sure if it was a shadow or if it was really warped I stopped to take a closer look. Sure enough that sound I heard was the popping of one of my spokes. I took out my trusty all purpose service tool (iPhone 6) and call for an emergency evac. My lovely wife drove out and picked me up. Actually a shop owner where I pulled over to inspect my bike offered to give me a ride home but I hate to inconvenience anyone if I can avoid doing so. I don't mind being indebted to my wife, however. Looks like it will be next Tuesday before I can get the bike into the shop.

Do you know the reason for it? I never had something like that back in Europe (but OK I always was about 65 kg).

(I imagine what happens in the Alps when you are close to 100 km/h) Such things scary me.

What material are the spokes? Or did it get pulled out from the rim?

Please let us know if they fix it for free.....

So I took the bike in today and left it with my guy while I ran some errands. In a few hours I received a call saying it was ready to go. He did not charge me for replacing the spoke and balancing the wheel but I did have him replace my lower quality 28 on the front tire with the same size and quality 25 that I was running on the back. Now front and back tire are the same and it feels a bit better balanced.

He checked the chain and found it was still in good shape and gave the bike a good once-over so I am a looking forward to my next ride. I got a lot done today and it was one happy experience followed by another. I am not complaining about my good fortune but it does get me wondering why I read so many complaints on TVF. Anyway this is my promised update.

I was 26 km into my own little Bike for Dad ride earlier today when I blew a spoke on the back wheel. Heard the noise and thought it was a rock at first. Later I looked down and the back wheel seemed to have a slight wobble in it. Not sure if it was a shadow or if it was really warped I stopped to take a closer look. Sure enough that sound I heard was the popping of one of my spokes. I took out my trusty all purpose service tool (iPhone 6) and call for an emergency evac. My lovely wife drove out and picked me up. Actually a shop owner where I pulled over to inspect my bike offered to give me a ride home but I hate to inconvenience anyone if I can avoid doing so. I don't mind being indebted to my wife, however. Looks like it will be next Tuesday before I can get the bike into the shop.

Do you know the reason for it? I never had something like that back in Europe (but OK I always was about 65 kg).

(I imagine what happens in the Alps when you are close to 100 km/h) Such things scary me.

So I took the bike in today and left it with my guy while I ran some errands. In a few hours I received a call saying it was ready to go. He did not charge me for replacing the spoke and balancing the wheel but I did have him replace my lower quality 28 on the front tire with the same size and quality 25 that I was running on the back. Now front and back tire are the same and it feels a bit better balanced.

He checked the chain and found it was still in good shape and gave the bike a good once-over so I am a looking forward to my next ride. I got a lot done today and it was one happy experience followed by another. I am not complaining about my good fortune but it does get me wondering why I read so many complaints on TVF. Anyway this is my promised update.

It seems you have a really nice shop. And you are easy to satisfy laugh.png

I would book a broken spoke and free repair as bad experience because it is not supposed to brake. I would bore everyone with my rant about bad quality. You book it as good experience, because the shop service it swift and for free.

Different point of view and yours seem to be the smarter one.....

^^

Anyone can break a spoke. Nothing to do with quality control.

Just as easy as getting a puncture.

More to do with road surface.

So far in 2 years, I've had 5 broken spokes, 2 flat tires, 1 bent rim.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

It seems you have a really nice shop. And you are easy to satisfy laugh.png

I would book a broken spoke and free repair as bad experience because it is not supposed to brake. I would bore everyone with my rant about bad quality. You book it as good experience, because the shop service it swift and for free.

Different point of view and yours seem to be the smarter one.....

I have never been a proponent of the blame game. When something happens my first reaction is to consider my options and choose my best course forward. After that I might consider what I could do differently, if anything, to avoid a similar incident in the future.
I am very happy with my shop and find them a good pair. They are both bikers but the wife runs the shop and her husband is the technical expert. With the success of their racing team, seen in the trophies on display, and with his increased coaching and bike community duties he is not as available as he once was, but I am happy for them and do not begrudge their success.