Trek Domane 6.9 Disc

villagefarang

I changed my rear tire from treaded 35 to slick 32, and instantly my average speed (over a 20Km run) went from 27Km/hr to 29Km/hr.

You've just changed tires from 44 to 23, I bet nothing else at all changed your speeds.

Put 28s on your mountain bike ..... and you'll see just as good a speed change.

I agree, country roads and farm tracks are great to cycle along.

I don't feel any need to go really off road.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bike came with 25s but I switched them out for 28s. The bike reviews say you can easily go to 30s and get a smoother ride without adversely affecting speed.

I noticed the 22 gears didn’t give me the super low end for steep climbs but I was climbing at a much faster pace. Guess I will just have to lose weight to help compensate.

That's the thing with mountain biking. My favourite is winding single-track trail with lots of roots, rocks, bumps, and jumps. It's so much more exciting than a plain road. But I am considering to get a road bike for climbing hills, purely for endurance training. So, I am interested in the cross-training effects, as it could possibly replace my cardio training at home.

Cheers, CM-Expat

The bike came with 25s but I switched them out for 28s. The bike reviews say you can easily go to 30s and get a smoother ride without adversely affecting speed.

I noticed the 22 gears didn’t give me the super low end for steep climbs but I was climbing at a much faster pace. Guess I will just have to lose weight to help compensate.

You can change the gear setup. Either front a smaller or back a bigger one......

You can change the gear setup. Either front a smaller or back a bigger one......

Checking the spec online he can't. It already comes with a compact chainring setup up front and an 11-28 cassette at the rear. So already has the smallest at the front, as far the rear is concerned Duraace can support a max of 28 teeth on the big cog, so has Villagefarang said himself , he'll just have to lose some weight and I suggest a sprinkling of rule #5 http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#5 ;-)

Checking the spec online he can't. It already comes with a compact chainring setup up front and an 11-28 cassette at the rear. So already has the smallest at the front, as far the rear is concerned Duraace can support a max of 28 teeth on the big cog, so has Villagefarang said himself , he'll just have to lose some weight and I suggest a sprinkling of rule #5 http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#5 ;-)

hmm already on the max........cut out the beer.....or better cut the pasta and keep the beer burp.gif.pagespeed.ce.RBpw6FUyRRx8h9ZhP6

hmm already on the max........cut out the beer.....or better cut the pasta and keep the beer burp.gif.pagespeed.ce.RBpw6FUyRRx8h9ZhP6

You'll need the carbs both provide, suggest eat and drink more along with riding harder and faster!

You'll need the carbs both provide, suggest eat and drink more along with riding harder and faster!

Well, yes true, but when you need to diet away a serious belly, best is to cut the carbs away. Of course with empty muscles you won't ride fast, but your ham is melting away.

(Considering you are older and don't have the power or time to sit 4 hours per day on the bike. If you can ride enough of course you can eat what you want).

My rides lately have been averaging around three hours. On this latest ride, my heartbeat was around 90% most of the time and very seldom dropped below 80%, except when I took a quick break to drink water and practice getting unclipped.

If I take two or three days off I feel motivated to ride but it would become drudgery if I tried to do it everyday. I hate routine and even the things I do everyday like eat and sleep are not done at fixed times. I have always relied more on “feel” than regimentation and repetition.
I keep cutting things from my diet but I guess I will have to do more. At 60 my metabolism is slowing a bit and getting from 90kg back down to 80kg, where I was at 50, is proving difficult.

My rides lately have been averaging around three hours. On this latest ride, my heartbeat was around 90% most of the time and very seldom dropped below 80%, except when I took a quick break to drink water and practice getting unclipped.

If I take two or three days off I feel motivated to ride but it would become drudgery if I tried to do it everyday. I hate routine and even the things I do everyday like eat and sleep are not done at fixed times. I have always relied more on “feel” than regimentation and repetition.
I keep cutting things from my diet but I guess I will have to do more. At 60 my metabolism is slowing a bit and getting from 90kg back down to 80kg, where I was at 50, is proving difficult.

I envy you! Sitting in Bangkok unable to ride until I am back in the South......

And having 3 hours time is also nice.....

• 2 weeks later...

We flew down to Bangkok for a few days to visit friends. Guess I am not used to the pace, the number of people and the public transportation because I got sick after returning to Chiang Rai, and I haven’t been sick for a very long time. Anyway I have only managed a few easy 40 km rides on the new bike but have to say I really like it.

I decided to tinker with the position of my seat and with everything on this bike being Carbon I worried about over torquing. About 10 km into my ride yesterday I felt there was something wrong with my seat so stopped to check. Sure enough I had under torqued the nut but with a quick eyeballing for level I got things sorted.
Hopefully I will feel up to a longer ride soon. Thanks to everyone who encouraged me to get this bike.

That's the thing with mountain biking. My favourite is winding single-track trail with lots of roots, rocks, bumps, and jumps. It's so much more exciting than a plain road. But I am considering to get a road bike for climbing hills, purely for endurance training. So, I am interested in the cross-training effects, as it could possibly replace my cardio training at home.

Cheers, CM-Expat

Most MTBs are expressly prohibited from rocks and jumps by the manufacturer.

I believe you need something called a downhill racer.

Most MTBs are expressly prohibited from rocks and jumps by the manufacturer.

I believe you need something called a downhill racer.

Of course, a downhill bike is most appropriate for jumps and fast descends, but it really depends how fast and how big you want to go. There are many mid-range trail bikes around the 100k price point which are quite capable and can handle aggressive trail riding and small jumps. I've even seen skilled riders going down the Bamboo and ATV trails in CNX, which are pure DH trails, on 20k hardtails. Almost felt sorry for them... (the bicycles).

Cheers, CM-Expat

• 4 weeks later...

Here are a couple shots of the bike after and 81 km ride in the midday sun today.

Black%2520Knight%2520%2520002.jpg

Black%2520Knight%2520%2520001.jpg

BEAUTIFUL!!!! clap2.gif

Doesn't make you the black clothes hot? I wear no socks, no helmet, free face and short sleeves (right word, the thing on the arms).

But I must start very early in the morning for the first week until my arms get uses to the sun and that is at 50 km not 81.

I was used to the sun and than I used the tribar and the sun got me on the inside of the arms on a short ride around 12.

(To my own surprise the sun on the head is no problem.....but OK what should harm should the sun do on empty space?)

I see your fork is very slim on my Madone 2.1 they told me it is Carbon, but it feels like Aluminum and it is big in diameter and very stiff, yours look better.

Good luck

People always comment on the black but I like it. Microfiber is very good at wicking sweat from your body as long as you don’t go too slow. After stopping to top up my water bottle, I was so wet that I almost felt cold until the sweat evaporated.

It was in the mid 30s today but as long as I kept my speed up I didn’t feel hot. I worry about skin cancer more than heat so like to cover up. Keeping the sun off your skin actually keeps you cooler in the long run, in my opinion.
The socks are compression socks which keep my feet and calves from swelling and are supposed to help with recovery.

I see your fork is very slim on my Madone 2.1 they told me it is Carbon, but it feels like Aluminum and it is big in diameter and very stiff, yours look better.

It's a different quality of carbon and layup from your Madone 2.1, so doesn't need as much material and is stiffer. But you have to pay to get that quality ;-)

People always comment on the black but I like it. Microfiber is very good at wicking sweat from your body as long as you don’t go too slow. After stopping to top up my water bottle, I was so wet that I almost felt cold until the sweat evaporated.

It was in the mid 30s today but as long as I kept my speed up I didn’t feel hot. I worry about skin cancer more than heat so like to cover up. Keeping the sun off your skin actually keeps you cooler in the long run, in my opinion.
The socks are compression socks which keep my feet and calves from swelling and are supposed to help with recovery.

Ah OK cancer....It fits nice for Thailand, socks look a bit strange.

I like the sun on my skin and we never had a single case of cancer in all the family (but we all die as idiots sad.png ) So I never worry about the cancer.

• 3 months later...

The pictures are amazing!!

They are like out of a promotion brochure for either Thailand or the bike!

I am so envious.....Sitting here in the office and and work with the stinking CNC lathe instead of enjoying a nice ride with that great sky and fresh air.....

• 4 months later...

Disc brakes only important in wet weather.

You don't see any pros using them.

Drop bars hurt my back, I get the idea you are fairly old, so they'll probably hurt your back too.

Get the right frame size this time.

Frame size should be 2/3 your inside leg measurement. Don't let them convince you a small one will work like they did with the last one.

The Trek website clearly lists correct sizing.

Disc brakes are coming to the pro ranks. The challenge is that discs stop so much better than traditional brakes and the pros are a bit concerned about mixing the two brake systems in a race.

I own a Specialized Roubaix Disc back in the states and it is one fine, fine machine.

I just bought a Cannondale Synapse and had the choice of rim or disc brakes.. Decided on the Ultegra model with rim brakes as I will probably change the wheels at some time. I have discs on my Trek mountain bike and agree in the wet they are fantastic. But preferred to spend my cash on a higher spec group set, seat post and bars etc.

post-39406-0-93737500-1446301443_thumb.j

my 2 cents: It's all price point. I got a 2015 Cannondale Synape Rival Disc for 1000 USD including tax, new. from a dealer. and the MSRP was like 2100USD? crazy....yes, 2015 not 2016. I bought carbon before many times, spending up to 3k USD, and i really liked it. But not 3k like. I know disc brakes are the future, but riding in Thailand is a little different because how hot it gets....but they make freezer disc rotors that would help.

if the bike is around 1500USD, great. 105 is as good as ultegra and you don't need anything more (unless you don't care about the cash). 25 mm is the best size, for me. 28mm has a little too much volume when cornering at 70 kph, but maybe you can run them at 80 psi. 23 is good for hill climbs when you can do PSI of like 120.

anyhow, i can go on and on and on.......if i saw a trek, giant, cannondale all there..... i would go 105 disc and get the cheapest.....if only $100 apart, i would choose giant then cannondale then trek.

my 2 cents

I just bought it in Australia. As you say great deals on 2015 models there too. Ridley Fenix ultegra AU2600, with 105 AU1999.

Scott Solace Ultegra under AU3000. All bargains compared to Thai price. For me the only real factor was what size frame was available, I need a 58cm. So my choice was restricted. As you say nothing wrong with 105 but as my MTB has XTR I thought I'd opt for the higher spec. It's not just about group set as the wheels, seat post, saddle etc are also higher spec.

Here is a little update on the bike. I am doing more rides in the 80 to 90 km range and finally broke 100 km, once. The bike is very comfortable and I have adjusted to the light weight enough to feel confident even with no hands. At first it felt pretty twitchy compared to the mountain bike, due to weight and tire size. On an empty backroad I feel riding for a spell with no hands helps me gauge my balance as I get older.

I started off riding on 28s but a while back I got a good sized thorn in the back tire. Fortunately it was a slow leak and I got home before I noticed it. I am pretty sure I got it when passing a road crew trimming the weeds on the side of the road.
Anyway, when I went to the shop they didn’t have any 28s so I opted for a 25 on the back and kept the 28 on the front. I reasoned the bigger tire on the front would provide a little more cushion and traction when steering and braking. Besides the seat post has some builtin dampening so thought I wouldn’t notice much difference in ride comfort.
I really love the electronic gear shifting. I do have some flat sections but there is a lot of rolling terrain on my rides so I do change gears a lot. Every shift is perfect which is really nice.
I am still undecided about keeping this mix of tires or switching to one size or the other. I really haven’t noticed any difference. Switching from mountain bike to road bike did provide the motivational boost I was hoping for. Sometimes all it takes is a change of equipment or a new route to spark renewed interest. I am looking forward to the cooler rides of winter as well.

Here is a little update on the bike. I am doing more rides in the 80 to 90 km range and finally broke 100 km, once. The bike is very comfortable and I have adjusted to the light weight enough to feel confident even with no hands. At first it felt pretty twitchy compared to the mountain bike, due to weight and tire size. On an empty backroad I feel riding for a spell with no hands helps me gauge my balance as I get older.

I started off riding on 28s but a while back I got a good sized thorn in the back tire. Fortunately it was a slow leak and I got home before I noticed it. I am pretty sure I got it when passing a road crew trimming the weeds on the side of the road.

Anyway, when I went to the shop they didn’t have any 28s so I opted for a 25 on the back and kept the 28 on the front. I reasoned the bigger tire on the front would provide a little more cushion and traction when steering and braking. Besides the seat post has some builtin dampening so thought I wouldn’t notice much difference in ride comfort.

I really love the electronic gear shifting. I do have some flat sections but there is a lot of rolling terrain on my rides so I do change gears a lot. Every shift is perfect which is really nice.

I am still undecided about keeping this mix of tires or switching to one size or the other. I really haven’t noticed any difference. Switching from mountain bike to road bike did provide the motivational boost I was hoping for. Sometimes all it takes is a change of equipment or a new route to spark renewed interest. I am looking forward to the cooler rides of winter as well.

Normally when using tyres of different widths, you put the wider one on the rear, as 80% of your weight distribution when seated is over the rear wheel. You put the narrower one up front to quicken the steering, Continental do a set called Attack/Force with 22mm up front and 24mm at the rear.

With your setup, I would be concerned with the rear breaking traction before the front when cornering.

Out of interest, is it the same tyre on the rear as the front, just in 25mm? If not, that might explain why you don't see/feel much difference, as different tyres, even from the same brand, have different widths to what is on the tyre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if the bike is around 1500USD, great. 105 is as good as ultegra and you don't need anything more (unless you don't care about the cash). 25 mm is the best size, for me. 28mm has a little too much volume when cornering at 70 kph, but maybe you can run them at 80 psi. 23 is good for hill climbs when you can do PSI of like 120.

Most of the serious cyclists say $400-$500 is the best price range, then spend another $200 customizing.

I agree with them.

If you aren't a professional racer, the 2Kg weight the extra $2000+ saves you is irrelevant.

The gear changers, to be honest I can't feel any difference, and I've tried them all (except electronic).

Cassette, just fit the one that suits your strength and terrain.

Rim brakes, it's just the pads that make any difference.

So why pay all that extra money?

Why buy a Porsche when a VW will get you from A to B ? Because some people can. My MTB is over 10 yrs old. I hand carried the TREK frame up from Singapore cos nothing my size was available here without a hassle and a high price. I've updated the components 3 times over the years. Now I fancy going back to a road bike ( I've cycled most of my adult life ) and I've reached a stage in my life where my purchases are governed more by what I like than by the price.

If Ultegra and Dura-Ace were really no different than 105 why bother to make them ? They are just the latest design and offer some advantages in materials, longevity, weight and asthetics. (whether I able to exploit any of these is another matter)

This years 11 speed 105 is basically the older super-ceeded Ultegra. The previous 105 was ten speed while 11 speed was only available in the the two higher spec lines. Funny I never commented on Villagefarangs choice of Dura-Ace Di2 and asked why he bothered to spend extra ?

maybe because I realize and applaud the right of others to spend their cash as they see fit. If we can afford it and you can't, too bad. It doesn't mean we made a bad choice just that we indulged ourselves because we felt we deserved it.

Archived