Trek Domane 6.9 Disc

villagefarang

I, like a few others on here switched from a Mountain bike to a road bike earlier this year. Since then i have done over 9000km and lost almost 12kg in weight. I think the cycling bug bit with the road bike :) I normally ride between 40 and 100km rides. I really enjoy longer rides, but find in the heat it really drains my energy, no matter what i eat or drink along the way...more a heat thing i think.

I've broken 2 spokes in the back wheel over the last 6 months. Both times coming across a bad section of road, at speed. The last time i was 50km from home, and limped home (below 35km/h!), with the brakes off. Didn't do any harm.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VF - Its not easy climbing when you weigh 90kg...im about 88 now, and find it damn hard. Feel i could do with a 32 to help me keep spinning more. Must be so easy if you weigh 65kg haha.

After riding for 3 months on the flat around Khon Kaen, i tried a Cat 3 climb in Nam Phong National Park, about 50km away. The climb is around 6km, with average gradient of 4%. I couldn't believe how hard it was the first time!! Had to stop twice sad.png Got it down to 22.40 now, but seriously hard work (plus fun!)

^^

Anyone can break a spoke. Nothing to do with quality control.

Just as easy as getting a puncture.

More to do with road surface.

So far in 2 years, I've had 5 broken spokes, 2 flat tires, 1 bent rim.

You can brake a spoke, if something hit the spoke, if you bike at high speed in a hole on the street. But a spoke can never brake without some reason.

You ever heard that a wheel of a motorbike or a car broke while driving without reason? Same counts for the spoke. Even more as the rider was 30% under the maximum allowed weight.

A puncture can happen with all the junk on the street and the tires are clearly labeled as for training with more safety or for race.

The only problem I recall was when I went at something 40-70 km/h (can't recall) over a big stone. I never had any broken spoke.

Downhill you can die if a spoke brakes.

Do you know the reason for it? I never had something like that back in Europe (but OK I always was about 65 kg).

(I imagine what happens in the Alps when you are close to 100 km/h) Such things scary me.

What material are the spokes? Or did it get pulled out from the rim?

Please let us know if they fix it for free.....

So I took the bike in today and left it with my guy while I ran some errands. In a few hours I received a call saying it was ready to go. He did not charge me for replacing the spoke and balancing the wheel but I did have him replace my lower quality 28 on the front tire with the same size and quality 25 that I was running on the back. Now front and back tire are the same and it feels a bit better balanced.

He checked the chain and found it was still in good shape and gave the bike a good once-over so I am a looking forward to my next ride. I got a lot done today and it was one happy experience followed by another. I am not complaining about my good fortune but it does get me wondering why I read so many complaints on TVF. Anyway this is my promised update.

It seems you have a really nice shop. And you are easy to satisfy laugh.png

I would book a broken spoke and free repair as bad experience because it is not supposed to brake. I would bore everyone with my rant about bad quality. You book it as good experience, because the shop service it swift and for free.

Different point of view and yours seem to be the smarter one.....

I have never been a proponent of the blame game. When something happens my first reaction is to consider my options and choose my best course forward. After that I might consider what I could do differently, if anything, to avoid a similar incident in the future.
I am very happy with my shop and find them a good pair. They are both bikers but the wife runs the shop and her husband is the technical expert. With the success of their racing team, seen in the trophies on display, and with his increased coaching and bike community duties he is not as available as he once was, but I am happy for them and do not begrudge their success.

yes nice shop smile.png

But for how overpriced bicycle things are I expect that they are perfect. And think the spoke broke when you are at 100km/h down some mountain and you sit in the wheelchair for the rest of your life. Not very likely, but not impossible.

VF - Its not easy climbing when you weigh 90kg...im about 88 now, and find it damn hard. Feel i could do with a 32 to help me keep spinning more. Must be so easy if you weigh 65kg haha.

After riding for 3 months on the flat around Khon Kaen, i tried a Cat 3 climb in Nam Phong National Park, about 50km away. The climb is around 6km, with average gradient of 4%. I couldn't believe how hard it was the first time!! Had to stop twice sad.png Got it down to 22.40 now, but seriously hard work (plus fun!)

I just try to get down from 68 to 64 kg again smile.png

I am sure I have an advantage on the mountain.......but on the flat road you'll run cycles around me.

I, like a few others on here switched from a Mountain bike to a road bike earlier this year. Since then i have done over 9000km and lost almost 12kg in weight. I think the cycling bug bit with the road bike smile.png I normally ride between 40 and 100km rides. I really enjoy longer rides, but find in the heat it really drains my energy, no matter what i eat or drink along the way...more a heat thing i think.

I've broken 2 spokes in the back wheel over the last 6 months. Both times coming across a bad section of road, at speed. The last time i was 50km from home, and limped home (below 35km/h!), with the brakes off. Didn't do any harm.

For me the best results: empty stomach and feeding myself a small banana sometimes.

drinking a lot water with these electrolyte tablets. But I use far less than they recommend. And well the obvious....try to start early morning. Often enough I make the emails in the morning and be lazy, than go from 11AM-2PM is not really smart.

You're all lightweights compared to me :-) I'm 107Kg, I've bent a rim on an MTB and road bike, but never broken a spoke so far.

I had to laugh at the tour de farm this past Sunday, with much lighter Thai guys getting upset with me overtaking them uphill, so they surge to get in front, I sit on their wheel for 10min while they burn themselves out trying to prove they are faster, and then go sailing by as they crack and have to stop. Can't understand why people can't just ride their own pace instead of trying to prove they are faster.

Managed the 100km in just over 3.5 hours, lot of fun and hope to go back next year and try and knock 30min off the time.....I'm assuming I'll be around 90Kg by them ;-)

Edited by moonoi

You're all lightweights compared to me :-) I'm 107Kg, I've bent a rim on an MTB and road bike, but never broken a spoke so far.

I had to laugh at the tour de farm this past Sunday, with much lighter Thai guys getting upset with me overtaking them uphill, so they surge to get in front, I sit on their wheel for 10min while they burn themselves out trying to prove they are faster, and then go sailing by as they crack and have to stop. Can't understand why people can't just ride their own pace instead of trying to prove they are faster.

Managed the 100km in just over 3.5 hours, lot of fun and hope to go back next year and try and knock 30min off the time.....I'm assuming I'll be around 90Kg by them ;-)

on a long ascent you must think strategic, going what you can sustain, of course it is great fun to try to win it, but go full speed and have to stop is idiotic.

If have to actually stop, not even able to maintain a slow speed than you are the looser of the day, lol.

I really miss the Alps.....

I'll join you next year! Looks a good ride I saw it advertised, but our 3 kids had a joint birthday party, so I thought I better stay at home :)

on a long ascent you must think strategic, going what you can sustain, of course it is great fun to try to win it, but go full speed and have to stop is idiotic.

If have to actually stop, not even able to maintain a slow speed than you are the looser of the day, lol.

That's where a power meter really comes in. Can pace yourself according. Interesting to look at the numbers over time too.

That's where a power meter really comes in. Can pace yourself according. Interesting to look at the numbers over time too.
A power meter is next on my list of gadgets. I have one on my smart trainer, but I'd like to know the real world values. I'm training for the TDF, I increased my FTP from 197W to 223W over 9 weeks, I could certainly feel the difference as well!

A power meter is next on my list of gadgets. I have one on my smart trainer, but I'd like to know the real world values. I'm training for the TDF, I increased my FTP from 197W to 223W over 9 weeks, I could certainly feel the difference as well!

you can do 223W continuously for a long time (hours??) w00t.gif

FTP/Functional Threshold Power is the average power that one can maintain for one hour. When one races or rides distances further than an hour then the rider works to maintain a certain percentage of that number, depending on the race/ride distance.

Increase your FTP and you get faster and stronger.

Ah yes that would help me, my legs hate high cadence low speed, hence a crap climber.

But must refrain from more gadgets, already getting grief from my DH buddies with all the stuff I run, (gps, HRM, cam, music, mirror)

FTP/Functional Threshold Power is the average power that one can maintain for one hour. When one races or rides distances further than an hour then the rider works to maintain a certain percentage of that number, depending on the race/ride distance.

Increase your FTP and you get faster and stronger.

Thanks for the info! For me on the very old Tracx, when I bike just normal, not trying to set a record it was always 120 W (consider I didn't bike for 15 year) and when I changed they tire it was 140 W. (the old tire tend to slide so I had to pump it hard and put a lot force on that adjustable steel part. The new one doesn't slide as much). So I stopped putting too much value on it. Anyway I use it only rarely as it is just too boring.

225W is my average power output, according to the power calculators (for my Doi Suthep hill climb).

http://bikecalculator.com/

post-233622-0-58522000-1450274069_thumb.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

225W is my average power output, according to the power calculators (for my Doi Suthep hill climb).

attachicon.gifWat Doi Suthep Climb.JPG

Those things are notoriously inaccurate, the power calculation I'm talking about physically measures the power whilst your riding in real-time.

Problem with calculators is they don't take account of wind, heart rate etc. They are about as accurate as BMI for measuring weight (ie not very).

Problem with calculators is they don't take account of wind, heart rate etc. They are about as accurate as BMI for measuring weight (ie not very).

Lifting 86Kg up 690m in 48.5 minutes (insert own weights, times and elevation increases) =230W (using bike calculator).

Don't see that much room for error, it's simple physics.

Can't see how heart rate is relevant to average power.

Power (Watts) = weight (newton meters)/Time (seconds) ....... in this case 86Kg lifted 690m

P = 86 x 690 x 9.8Nm / 48.5 x 60s

P = 200W

Add a bit of tire drag, wind resistance and gears loss into that and the bike calculator looks pretty accurate.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Lifting 86Kg up 690m in 48.5 minutes (insert own weights, times and elevation increases) =230W (using bike calculator).

Power (Watts) = weight (newton meters)/Time (seconds) ....... in this case 86Kg lifted 690m

P = 200W

Add a bit of tire drag, wind resistance and gears loss into that and the bike calculator looks pretty accurate.

The mathematics is sound, but in the calculator you have only 300 meter not 690. I don't know that area so I can't tell what is right. Did you consider that you don't start from 0?

Those things are notoriously inaccurate, the power calculation I'm talking about physically measures the power whilst your riding in real-time.

When I look the burned kcal on the trainer for what I feel is a more or less compare able power over the same time. What the mobile phone application tells and what the heart monitor tells than it differs so much that if I would just guess I would be also within the results. Seems some devices want to please their customer. If I can easily burn 2000 kcal on a 85 km ride than something is very wrong....

As a triathlete, I have used a hub based power meter for a number of years and rely on it a great deal. Knowing my FTP number and then knowing the percentage of that FTP number I use for a goal race pace helps me make sure that I can run after getting off the bike without blowing up.

An on board power meter is also very valuable to keep me from overextending when going up tough hills. So many push too hard on hills and blow up at the top.

I have a new bike and will be buying a pedal based power meter to make it easier to switch between bikes.

Heart rate monitors are okay, but there is nothing, IMO, that compare to a power meter. Heart rate numbers can vary depending on a variety of other issues, but watts are watts are watts.

P = 200W

Have a read of how big a difference not knowing the wind direction has in affecting the calculation. Drag/rolling resistance has a lower effect.

http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com.au/2013/07/windbags.html?m=1

That said, knowing the average power output for a ride is next to useless anyway. You really need to know what your output is during particular sections, or as SpokaneAl said above, to prevent you blowing up by overexerting yourself up a big climb.

HRM are a useful training tool, better than not having the data, but training and riding by power is most effective.

Edited by moonoi

P = 200W

The mathematics is sound, but in the calculator you have only 300 meter not 690. I don't know that area so I can't tell what is right. Did you consider that you don't start from 0?

Elevation 300m (starting height)

Grade 6.5% over 10.4Km

So starting elevation 300m cycling 10.4Km, ending elevation 990m.

P = 200W

Elevation 300m (starting height)

Grade 6.5% over 10.4Km

So starting elevation 300m cycling 10.4Km, ending elevation 990m.

than why is it 300 meter in the power calculator?

As a triathlete, I have used a hub based power meter for a number of years and rely on it a great deal. Knowing my FTP number and then knowing the percentage of that FTP number I use for a goal race pace helps me make sure that I can run after getting off the bike without blowing up.

An on board power meter is also very valuable to keep me from overextending when going up tough hills. So many push too hard on hills and blow up at the top.

I have a new bike and will be buying a pedal based power meter to make it easier to switch between bikes.

Heart rate monitors are okay, but there is nothing, IMO, that compare to a power meter. Heart rate numbers can vary depending on a variety of other issues, but watts are watts are watts.

pedal based is that exactly? Technically it seems very difficult to calculate the power from the pedal (need the exact vector of the force and the exact angle of the force to the axis).

pedal based is that exactly? Technically it seems very difficult to calculate the power from the pedal (need the exact vector of the force and the exact angle of the force to the axis).

They use stress gauges and accelerometers in the pedal body to do exactly that. Because they do that, they can also measure the smoothness of your pedal stroke.

Garmin Vector and Powertap P1 are examples of this type of power meter.

They use stress gauges and accelerometers in the pedal body to do exactly that. Because they do that, they can also measure the smoothness of your pedal stroke.

Garmin Vector and Powertap P1 are examples of this type of power meter.

nice.....yes these days a tiny small chip can do all the difficult (and fast) mathematics at low power/low costs.....

Since the thing I am training is my heart, I am quite happy using a heart monitor. I am not the competitive sort and ride alone so I watch my heart rate and bring it back down to a sustainable level after a zone five exertion.

After my ride yesterday and had a look at the monitor and found I had spent an equal amount of time in zone 3 and 4 (1:34) with only a 20 second difference. Usually I am heavy one over the other depending mainly on the temperature it seems. I find it hard to keep the heart rate down when it is really hot.

Since the thing I am training is my heart, I am quite happy using a heart monitor. I am not the competitive sort and ride alone so I watch my heart rate and bring it back down to a sustainable level after a zone five exertion.

After my ride yesterday and had a look at the monitor and found I had spent an equal amount of time in zone 3 and 4 (1:34) with only a 20 second difference. Usually I am heavy one over the other depending mainly on the temperature it seems. I find it hard to keep the heart rate down when it is really hot.

What I've found is over time my HR has come down for the same effort. So whereas maybe a year ago a 2 hour ride in similar conditions would average 180bpm, recently that has reduced down to 150bpm.

I'm also now riding longer, faster and feeling more fresh than ever. This bicycling can become addictive ;-) I never set out to compete, however seems to have become the natural progression of things, I really want to know how far, how fast can I push myself, so much so that I also entered my first triathlon in March next year. The wife thinks I've gone mad.....