Thai editorial: Current road-safety measures are failing

webfact

EDITORIAL
Current road-safety measures are failing

The Nation

The decline in New Year accidents this year doesn't mask the need to do better

BANGKOK: -- Casualties from road accidents during the long New Year holiday have decreased this year when compared to the previous year. There were 26 fewer deaths and 227 fewer injuries during the seven-day period in which the data were collected.

However, that decline was still far from satisfactory for the government, according to Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, because "every life is important".

He called on relevant state agencies to perform their duty to the fullest and said he expected them to do better during the Songkran festival in April. This practice of publicising the number of road casualties during long public holidays, particularly New Year and Songkran, has continued for years.

The goal was to raise public awareness about road safety and encourage drivers to be more careful. But the authorities remain unable to curb the number of road accidents and the high rate of casualties.

During the "seven dangerous days" from December 30 to January 5 this year there were 2,997 accidents, in which 341 people were killed and 3,117 injured, according to the Interior Ministry's Road Safety Centre. This was slightly down from last year's tally of 367 killed and 3,344 injured in 3,174 accidents.

In fact, Thailand has one of the highest rates in road fatalities in the world. With 38 deaths per 100,000 inhabitants per year, the Kingdom ranks third in the world, just behind the African countries of Eritrea and Libya, at 48.4 and 40.5 deaths, respectively, according to the World Health Organisation's Global Status Report on Road Safety 2013.

About 26,000 traffic deaths occur in Thailand every year. That means road accidents cause about one death every hour. There are also hundreds of thousands of injured victims, many of them permanently crippled or disabled. This is equivalent to casualties in a moderate-scale war.

A significant portion of the country's resources is spent treating the injured. And there is a great loss of opportunity and economic loss for losing a large segment of workforce in road accidents, not to mention the many thousands who are maimed. More than 52 per cent of road-accident victims this year were of working age, according to the Road Safety Centre.

Most of the accidents during the past New Year holiday were caused by speeding, drunk driving and abrupt changes of traffic lanes.

Road safety is a major problem that needs to be tackled effectively to reduce the number of casualties and the economic burden on the country. The traffic law should be enforced strictly in order to reduce speeding and drunk driving - which have perennially been the major causes. Speeding and drunk driving should be discouraged to an extent that is effective enough to bring down road accidents.

More efforts should also be made in raising public awareness about safety.

Children should be taught about road-safety measures and adults should be reminded of them.

During the Cabinet meeting on Tuesday, the prime minister instructed the government agencies involved to gather more information in order to find solutions to reduce road casualties during Songkran.

We hope the authorities will be able to perform better. However, members of the public, particularly motorists, also have to coordinate and contribute to road safety - for a better result for the country.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Current-road-safety-measures-are-failing-30251412.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-08

• Like 1

Well I never, " current road-safety measures are failing " ! Who would have thought ?

In fact my flabber is completely and utterly gasted.

Didn't the Interior Minister say the govt isn't concerned about road accident stats or words to that effect then some contradictory rubbish about making the roads safe for everyone ?

Edited by NongKhaiKid

Hs anyone ever seen a new set of traffic lights installed anywhere? They dont mind putting millions of new cars on the road and collecting the revenue from that but has any of these roads been updated with safety measures? Ive never seen a set of traffic lights in chiang mai that doesn't look 20 years old.

About 26,000 traffic deaths occur in Thailand every year. That means road accidents cause about one death every hour. There are also hundreds of thousands of injured victims, many of them permanently crippled or disabled. This is equivalent to casualties in a moderate-scale war.

All the enjoyment I used to derive from driving is long gone. Driving in Thailand is not fun, it is not to be taken lightly, and one should never assume that the "other guy" knows what he's doing. It is not just the casualty levels that liken driving here, to a small war.

260 000 road deaths during the last 10 years. That's 5 times the number of American soldiers that died during the Vietnam war.

• Like 2

Hs anyone ever seen a new set of traffic lights installed anywhere? They dont mind putting millions of new cars on the road and collecting the revenue from that but has any of these roads been updated with safety measures? Ive never seen a set of traffic lights in chiang mai that doesn't look 20 years old.

Actually, yes.On Highway 305, Rangsit- Nakhon Nayok Rd, between klong 7 & 8 near Tesco, a complete set of new lights to facilitate U Turns at a site where there were many accidents due to the speed of westbound traffic. Works fine now, just need a few more similar locations closer to Rangsit and maybe a few more lives may be saved at these crazy U Turn sites.

• Like 1

Police actually do their job, nah! won't work, no money in it for the government hierarchy. Well paid, privately run organisation to compose, educated and enforce the appropriate laws is the only way forward. Will we ever see it, nah! no money in it for the government hierarchy

Education and law enforcement. It is way too easy to get a driving license here. Very few drivers understand breaking distances hence the high number of rear end accidents. And have a look in the spike in accidents during the wet season. There is very little understanding of different driving conditions. And then there is the other side of the coin, law enforcement. Speeding, drunk driving, running red lights etc. The average Thai is not afraid of the law or police. Many have told me so. This is evidenced during the recent holiday when there was clearly a greater number of police out on the road. Still, most people continued to drive in a reckless and illegal manner. Laws are only effective if they are enforced.

• Like 1

What this article fails to mention is that the majority of deaths were motorcyclists. Of these, most could have survived had they been wearing helmets. I think that the current laws and 'enforcement' regarding motorcycle helmets has proven to be ineffective and, quite frankly, a joke! Riders simply pay their insignificant fine and continue their dangerous practice of not wearing their helmets. Since the Thai law enforcement systems do not allow for monitoring of repeat offenders, more significant penalties are needed to 'encourage' compliance with helmet laws. I welcome a time when Thailand gets serious about this and ups the ante for helmet violations to more meaningful levels like 500 to 1,000 baht per offense. Maybe then this law will finally have some teeth in it and there will be fewer deaths on Thailand's roadways.

Don't be silly. If they do what you suggest the tea money will dry up.

I would love to see Red Light cameras instaleld in Thailand and heavy penalties for the red light runners if caught. Okay, I'm daydreaming again :(

• Like 1

Actually, yes. On 121 between 108 and 118 they installed a much needed new one just a couple of months back at a dangerous intersection.

Actually, yes. On 121 between 108 and 118 they installed a much needed new one just a couple of months back at a dangerous intersection.

121, 108, 118. What part of Isaan are they in?

Please learn to read. My comments were in answer to Bung in regards to CHIANG MAI. coffee1.gif

"Most of the accidents during the past New Year holiday were caused by speeding, drunk driving and abrupt changes of traffic lanes."

I drove about 2500 kilometers across Thailand in that period, from Bangkok down to Trang, around it and back to Bangkok; I saw many police checkpoints, perhaps 30 or 40, only 2 or 3 were actually stopping some cars checking anything, the rest contenting themselves to sit under a tent. Those may had been good to prevent drunk driving, if doing their jobs more thoroughly.

What I didn't see at all were highway patrol cars, the fixed checkpoints can do little or nothing regarding the other two offenses, speeding and incorrect lane changing (or hogging of traffic lanes, or dangerous driving in general). Come to think of it, I can't recall any single instance of seen a patrol car stopping a driver on the side of the road, ever.

So, from my experience, two of the three main causes for accidents go completely unchecked.

Incidentally I "only" saw two accidents on that period, a small SUV that drove off the road and ploughed 5 or 6 meters though a mangrove, how he picked up speed for that a few hundred meters from a sharp curve on a small rural road I have no idea. The other one of those grossly overloaded pickup trucks that wrapped itself around a tree.

• Like 2

What this article fails to mention is that the majority of deaths were motorcyclists. Of these, most could have survived had they been wearing helmets. I think that the current laws and 'enforcement' regarding motorcycle helmets has proven to be ineffective and, quite frankly, a joke! Riders simply pay their insignificant fine and continue their dangerous practice of not wearing their helmets. Since the Thai law enforcement systems do not allow for monitoring of repeat offenders, more significant penalties are needed to 'encourage' compliance with helmet laws. I welcome a time when Thailand gets serious about this and ups the ante for helmet violations to more meaningful levels like 500 to 1,000 baht per offense. Maybe then this law will finally have some teeth in it and there will be fewer deaths on Thailand's roadways.

Helmets? Some don't even use rear view mirrors, as in they remove them.

I nearly hit an idiot that shot out of a side road and zipped across three lanes of highway, no mirrors (or helmet, obviously) and no looking back; if I would had braked he'd be dead, turned left, dead, turned right, possibly me and my GF dead, I accelerated and cut in front of him by a few meters. After that I saw he checking behind him. facepalm.gif

Pattaya had some new pedestrian controlled 'panda' crossing lights installed not so many years ago. However they are all turned off or broken now. What a joke. Somebody made a lot of money in that farcical improvement to road safety.

Please learn to read. My comments were in answer to Bung in regards to CHIANG MAI. coffee1.gif

Actually @bung said 'lights anywhere'.

GATHER MORE INFORMATION TO FIND SOLUTIONS. THAT ISN'T WORKING, OBVIOUSLY. JUST OPEN LAST YEARS DEATH FILES, THE ONE BEFORE THAT AND THE ONES BEFORE THAT, BACK TO THE BEGINNING, AND YOU WILL PROBABLY SEE THE SAME CAUSES OF THE MAYHEM, AND YOU WILL READ THE MINISTRY'S USUAL MEANINGLESS COMMENTS, LIKE GATHER MORE INFORMATION, WHEN THEY ALREADY HAVE ALL THE INFORMATION ANYONE NEEDS, IF THEY ARE SERIOUS ABOUT REDUCING THE DEATHS AND INJURIES, BUT THAT IS NOT HAPPENING, IS IT? ENFORCED HELMET LAWS WITH STIFF FINES IS FINE, BUT I BET THE AVERAGE KID OR WORKER ON A BIKE DOES NOT USUALLY CARRY A THOUSAND BAHT NOTE WITH THEM, SO LOCK THEM UP FOR A WEEK AND CONFISCATE THEIR BIKES. I WILL BE TRULY AMAZED TO SEE THAILAND INTRODUCE ANY INITIATIVE TO LOWER THIS HORRIBLE TREND. PLEASE MR. MINISTER, PROVE ME WRONG AND START SAVING LIVES INSTEAD OF TALKING THE SAME LIES EVERY YEAR.

All joking aside half the car/ p/u & yuts drivers DO NOT have a licence the other half need retraining, most of the m/cycle

would be boy racers have no licence and are under age, and practically none have any sort of insurance which when an accident occur res you here " Driver Fled The Scene " whole family's on one cycle and the driver a young boy, Road safety measures Failing bloody non existent more like but TIT what do you expect.....................................coffee1.gif and i don't even want mention Tuk Tuks beatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAu

yes this low level warfare is good for my brain chemistry.

and that is how i approach driving in Thailand, the other people on the road are trying to kill you.

lose sight of that and you are dead.

almost every day I narrowly avoid being injured or killed on my scooter.

it happened again last night.

sort of a extreme sports adrenaline rush...

i think that is why so many young Thai men drive their souped up scooters so fast in busy traffic.

they get a thrill out of it.

Late at night In Hua Hin the baht bus drivers race along with terrified tourists in the back seat...

the three wheel buses sway back and forth with their high center of gravity.

i came across one flipped over on it side.

i watched a woman get hit by a car riding her scooter with her baby on her lap.

she went over and held on to her baby as she hit the asphalt with no helmet or protective gear, or shoes.

i rented a scooter and i was adjusting the mirrors and the woman said "why you worry about what is behind you?"

i was getting my drivers license last year and a nice Thai lady in line with me said "I have been driving for 17 years without a license but now they are getting tough about it so here I am." She failed the test.

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 2

Looking at the figures, which are unlikely to be accurate, but perhaps the inaccuracies are consistent...

341 deaths in 7 days = 49 per day

26,000 in 365 days = 71 per day

Actually if you take out the 7 day's figures the annual average gets closer to 72... details...

That is a 30% drop is casualties. Whether the control measures or the publicity campaign are to take credit is up for debate, however it is an improvement. Obviously neither figure is acceptable by any stretch of the imagination.

Yes, they are failing!

Why?

Because all they are, are brainless "let's ban alcohol on festival"- ideas!

And it is so easy: you don't wear a helmet- you pay!

Drunk driving- you pay!

You get caught again within 6 months- you pay and loose your license for 30 days!

You get caught again or without license - you pay and loose the license for 6 months.

Get caught again- jail- time!

Learning by burning!

But then again: TIT! coffee1.gif

Looking at the figures, which are unlikely to be accurate, but perhaps the inaccuracies are consistent...

341 deaths in 7 days = 49 per day

26,000 in 365 days = 71 per day

Actually if you take out the 7 day's figures the annual average gets closer to 72... details...

That is a 30% drop is casualties. Whether the control measures or the publicity campaign are to take credit is up for debate, however it is an improvement. Obviously neither figure is acceptable by any stretch of the imagination.

Not all people die on the spot, my GF's brother took about ten days to die after his second motorcycle accident with head injuries due to no helmet.