Satellite Radio

I bought a Satellite radio in Dubai airport a year or so ago. I found that it wasn't so convenient for me, as I could not leave it in one fixed position. If you can leave the dish in one position it might work well. For me I had to put the dish out each time I wanted to use it. Also my house has a large over hang. This made things difficult. The radio also had problems in that it constantly retuned itself for no apparent reason. I eventually took it back to the shop and got a refund. I now listen to the radio through the internet and use a pair of wireless headphones to listen in the garden or away from the PC.

There is a good selection of channels on the satellite radio, but you only get BBC World, not BBC Radio 1 etc. Talksport is probably the best channel. The music channels are quite good too. Thailand does not get Virgin, which is the best station on satellite.

I had a portable worldspace radio when I lived on a boat in the Med. It had just come out then but was a great bit of kit. Lot's of channels, easy to find the stuff you are interested in. The unit I had was small with a small flipout receiver plate. It was very easy in Europe to get a signal just by pointing the plate (which was detachable with an extension lead) anywhere to the south- not sure if it will be as easy in Asia.

When it first started it was very good with all the channels Free to Air.

Now most are encrypted and you must pay a fee, however you may still consider it worthwhile.

A friend in Pattaya has one and the tiny dish is fixed outside with a cable into the house.