Am I measuring blood pressure right, or are the hospitals ?

skippybangkok

My doctor back in the UK told me you can get different readings depending on the size/width of the ' armband '. No doubt I could be wrong but this is what he said. Here in Thailand, the ' armband ' is usually quite narrow, mainly due, I suppose, to the average stature of the indigenous population. I had my BP checked in the local hospital last month and the ' armband ' was so narrow and subsequently short, the nurse had to hold it in position. She then took a second reading after re-positioning the ' armband ' to my lower arm. Nett result = your BP is a bit high. Then she checked it using the old fashioned method = no problem. I noticed the ' armband ' on the old machine was a lot wider than the one on the electric machine and actually fitted my arm correctly.

• 4 months later...

Blood pressure can change quite rapidly. What I find important is to measure my bp

at home always in the same way for consistency and to be able to compare.

I always lie down, breath deeply several times and then do the measurement.

If I find it too high I do some deep and quiet breathing for two to three minutes.

If it does not drop suffciently, I take half a Concor 5. I know that will reduce my bp

Bp is higher in the morning than in the evening. Negative news etc. can affect

your bp dramatically

If you listen to your body you will soon be able to distinguish 'high' from 'low' bp.

Make friends with your feelings and your body.

The important point in my life: I know I can influence my bp through exercise, meditation and deep breathing. I am not a 'victim' only a doctor can help with pills.