Visa ED, only got 2 months extension.

I went today to the school office and asked about the documents for the immigration as I have to get my extension next week, then they started to ask me if I had any plan to leave the country soon. I said Yes I have to leave next month for 2 weeks, then they told me your visa expire on feb 4th and you have to apply for a new visa!!

In fact they didnt process the documents and as always it s not their fault but mine.

I got my ED visa in August last year and it seems that for those who has some writing on the Visa sticker they cant get more than 6 months visa then have to apply for a new one after that

Students in my school get 7 days, some 30 days some 60 days, nothing more than that, and it all depend on the school you attend.

no much choices now, considering switching to a Tourist Visa....

is it true that the rule changed weeks ago about the 6 months ED visa ? or is it just some BS as anyway they didnt processed the documents to the Ministry of Education

Same situation, got my ED visa in Vientiane in August, and I have been told that it will be good for only 6 month recently. Because there is a note next to the visa saying that it is for "basic Thai" courses. So if I wish I can go back and get a new visa for "intermediate Thai". A new surprise rule. What a joke.

Anyway, I give up this pointless ED visa and I'll get a tourist as soon as my next extension expires.

You might want to keep in mind that soon the tourist visa will be remodeled with that new 1 year visa for 3000THB that could released in Feb 2015.

Worth waiting another month in my opinion

• Like 1

just check on your Visa sticker if you have any writing on it ( something like : basic thai and school name) in that case it s 6 months). I went to the Immigration today in Bkk and they confirmed that

it seems that the school need to apply for a different level after 6 months, basic to intermediate...

• Like 1

I'm on my first ED visa & I'll apply for my first extension at Chaeng Wattana end of February. Although I attend my classes, after hearing all those horror stories I'm really worried.

Can experienced members please give examples of the questions they ask at immigration? I have more then a month, and I want to be prepared.

Also, should I learn how to write my name? We haven't learned a single letter at school yet, but if they are asking, I'll do my best trying to learn it.

Thanks

I'm on my first ED visa & I'll apply for my first extension at Chaeng Wattana end of February. Although I attend my classes, after hearing all those horror stories I'm really worried.

Can experienced members please give examples of the questions they ask at immigration? I have more then a month, and I want to be prepared.

Also, should I learn how to write my name? We haven't learned a single letter at school yet, but if they are asking, I'll do my best trying to learn it.

Thanks

maybe you can ask school to help prepare you as well since you are paying them

• Like 1

Thanks

You better get onto the reading/writing super quick or you will fail the test at immigration when you go there!!

You might want to keep in mind that soon the tourist visa will be remodeled with that new 1 year visa for 3000THB that could released in Feb 2015.

Keep dreamingrolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-siBMq You honestly think that with all hassle they are giving people for using ED visas to live here they will actually just let everyone stay here on 1 yr tourist visas for 3k baht...lol.

• Like 1

Keep dreamingrolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-siBMq You honestly think that with all hassle they are giving people for using ED visas to live here they will actually just let everyone stay here on 1 yr tourist visas for 3k baht...lol.

Yes ..because they want more foreigners and their money :-)

Thanks

Don't panic ! On your first ED visa you are on basic thai course. All ED Visas are now like that. You are not expected to be fluent in thai. How can you be ?!

• Like 1

No, they only want rich foreigners. They have been making it difficult for foreigners to stay in Thailand long term, and I find it really hard to believe they will give a tourist visa for 3000 baht for a year.

Don't dress like a hippy and if you look respectable enough .. you won't have any problems. ;-) Edited by bigwhitewarrior
  • Like 1

No, they only want rich foreigners. They have been making it difficult for foreigners to stay in Thailand long term, and I find it really hard to believe they will give a tourist visa for 3000 baht for a year.

If that's the case then the retirement visa has been attracting a lot of there "unwanted" foreigners as there are so many who live here because Western countries are too expensive while they count every satang living here.

• Like 1

Btw, today a person from the front desk at my school told me that now everything has returned to normal at Chaeng Wattana & now they are issuing 3 month extensions again. I hope that is true. Can anyone confirm that?

My first question.....What is "normal" at CW? But anyway, I have not heard this. I would not count on it. I would prepare to have the Brown Shirts grill the hell out of you......

• 2 weeks later...

Today I talked to a Chinese girl who has a Canadian passport in my class. She went to Chaneng Wattana and got 21 days for her first ever ED extension. Yes, not 1 month but 21 days, I don't know how is that possible. She told me that she went to the first station, told the name of school and they stamped her passport without asking or saying anything at all.

Btw, today a person from the front desk at my school told me that now everything has returned to normal at Chaeng Wattana & now they are issuing 3 month extensions again. I hope that is true. Can anyone confirm that?

My first question.....What is "normal" at CW? But anyway, I have not heard this. I would not count on it. I would prepare to have the Brown Shirts grill the hell out of you......

Schools are running a business and it's their job to make out the current situation and crackdown on EDvisa rosier than it is.

So no, they are not the most reliable source of info regarding what's happening in CW.

From my experience and people in my school and other met in CW, there is NO GRILLING by officers in Chaeng Wattana.

The "norm" as regard to what time is given is between 1 to 3 months, depending on (in no particular order)

- the officer's mood on that particular moment/day

- your charm (physical attire, look, clothes, grooming, but also your manners,smile, wai, politeness ...)

- your ability to convince

- luck

- If you come with a charming/smiley/ well presented Thai speaking representative that can smooth out any misunderstanding/problem.

- your school rep

- if you turn up with a (Thai more points) baby

-your age (younger is better, remember Thailand love young people, and it's a student visa)

- your gender/gameness/attractiveness/sexiness ; ED section is run by middle aged women bored senseless with a repetitive and unrewarding job. They are not used to be courted or complimented, hence ideal targets for international charmers. They absolutely love to be chatted up humored and courted... They giggle, roll eyes and blush at the tongue in cheek banter of some good looking 20 something lad, all the way to the final stamp (which invariably ends up being of 3 months)

- your ability to fit whatever they have as preconceived idea of what a student here looks/sounds like....

I am surprised to read about 21 days no question asked, it's more a sign they are tightening up further.

Edited by Kitsune
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I just got 30 days.... I'm in shock.

What does the stamp in your passport say ? Anything like this " Under consideration" . Any instruction to return to the office on a set date ?

• Like 1

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1423803912.842583.jpg

I'm not sure. I'll find s cryptographer this evening.

To me it looks like the scribbling in Thai says (transliterated)

NS (Naksuksa) / RR (Rong Rian) = Student / School Pasa Pro (language Pro)

Language Silom

So, Student Studying Language at Pro Language (school) in Silom

and he/she got a 30 day extension (Feb 13 to Mar 14)

Edited by mojaco
  • Like 2

I talked to my school, and asked what can be done since everyone is getting 1 months or less. They told me that if I pay 3500 baht, I'll get 2,5 months extension at Chaeng Wattana with no questions asked. I think this is similiar to 5000 baht "VIP service" at Pattaya.

This ED visa nonsense has really got out of hand, this is pure madness.

• Like 1

I just got 30 days.... I'm in shock.

Which school?

Today I talked to a Chinese girl who has a Canadian passport in my class. She went to Chaneng Wattana and got 21 days for her first ever ED extension. Yes, not 1 month but 21 days, I don't know how is that possible. She told me that she went to the first station, told the name of school and they stamped her passport without asking or saying anything at all.

Which school?

Edited by bbi1

The IO waved all that away (wouldn't even look at it!) except for the school's official attendance record, and then asked me to speak and write a bunch of things that had never been taught in my class.

What did they ask you to speak & what did they ask you to write?

Did you ask why only 30 days? Did they offer a response?

Looks like an American passport, right?

I....trusted ProLanguage to just....get it done. Lots of good points:

- I might be near a limit of studying (started school May 1, 2013)

- I didn't look at the forms I turned in so can't answer what date/days was requested

- I was only asked 4-5 questions in Thai ("What time is it now?" she asked while pointing to a clock hanging on a cubicle wall.)

I texted Khun Na who used to be at CW 5 days a week (now only 2) and she said next time come to her and for 5,000 baht she can get me 90 days for sure.