Visa ED, only got 2 months extension.

So I am curious if this has happened to anyone else or I am missing something here.

I got my ED Visa back in April 2014. I just did my 3rd extension yesterday to have a total of 1 year of extensions. If I would have gotten 3 months extended yesterday my extensions would end befor my 1 year visa mark. When it was my turn to get my papers checked the officer looked through my papers, joked with me a little in Thai and then looked at me and said "2 months"... stamp. My question is, was this because of some new rules with the 1 year thing and it ends by months or was she just in a 2 months kind of mood...?

• Like 1

It this 2 months thing only a BKK thing or a nationwide thing?

So how does things actually work with staying the full year? You fly into BKK and they stamp you in for 3 months. You go to immigration then get 2 months. Then go to immigration & get another 1 month only after that?? Plus needing to do a MOE test then apply for another 6 month ED visa??

Some people have reported that after 6 months you need to apply for a new ED visa & leave the country, others said you don't. Apparently there is a MOE test you need to do just before the 6 month period to get the 2nd ED visa for another 6 months too.

Is this how it all works?

American, first ED Visa with 2 Tourist before hand. I always have everything in order with a groomed apperiance.

Lots of the Koreans at my school got 1 month.

Did they give a reason for only giving you 2 months?

Edited by inbangkok

American, first ED Visa with 2 Tourist before hand. I always have everything in order with a groomed apperiance.

Which school?

Which school?

She gave no reason, she just checked my papers and said, "2 months *stamp*" and sent me on my way to the next station. I thought it might have been a rule with my visa hitting the 1 year mark but as ubonjoe said, other people reporting getting the same.

I attend Walen Language school. This also means that administration at these schools where students recieve less than 3 months will have more work and now depends on the students immigration outcome.

Edited by l3fty

Fewer tourists, slower business, so they have to make up for lost revenue somehow. Much like 5000 baht for 30 day extension in Jomtien.

ED visas used to issued with myltiple entries and validity of 1 year. But then immigration wanted piece of action, so started with 1900 baht every 90 days, now every 60 days. If they need even more money, it will be 1900 baht every 30 days...

I tried ED visa one year and didn't even get to the end of half year with it ( I actually was interested in learning the language and didn't miss even one lesson). The idea of some dumb, semi-literate, greedy prick testing my Thai language was too much for me.

• Like 1

So how does things actually work with staying the full year? You fly into BKK and they stamp you in for 3 months. You go to immigration then get 2 months. Then go to immigration & get another 1 month only after that?? Plus needing to do a MOE test then apply for another 6 month ED visa??

Some people have reported that after 6 months you need to apply for a new ED visa & leave the country, others said you don't. Apparently there is a MOE test you need to do just before the 6 month period to get the 2nd ED visa for another 6 months too.

I would like to know this also, is it just Bangkok and Pattaya? I have been told by my school that in Hua Hin they immigration isn't even giving tests yet, they may speak a little Thai to you but that should be no issue for anybody on an EDE visa, heck I am astonished how people can live here for years and not form simple sentences on other visas.

Fewer tourists, slower business, so they have to make up for lost revenue somehow. Much like 5000 baht for 30 day extension in Jomtien.

ED visas used to issued with myltiple entries and validity of 1 year. But then immigration wanted piece of action, so started with 1900 baht every 90 days, now every 60 days. If they need even more money, it will be 1900 baht every 30 days...

I tried ED visa one year and didn't even get to the end of half year with it ( I actually was interested in learning the language and didn't miss even one lesson). The idea of some dumb, semi-literate, greedy prick testing my Thai language was too much for me.

That's always the real kicker for me too. Most of these officers can barely string together a coherent sentence in English..... Yet they want to judge how I should be progressing in Thai as if they are a professor of linguistics or something. Really bizarre that these people get to "test" us in the first place considering they are not educators, many never even attended University, and they can barely speak a second language themselves.

And most Thai learn English all the way through school (12+ years?) but 3 months we should be reciting the Alphabet, reading and writing like it's our first language...

I heard just this week that a student went to get ED visa extension and Imigration tested him .. he wrote his name perfectly ..read a bit and spoke a bit.. they gave him 30 days .. so now it seems they can just play it either way...if you speak a bit then you don't need to study...if you don't speak then you don't go to school enough... let's see how long it will last.....

• Like 1

I would like to know this also, is it just Bangkok and Pattaya? I have been told by my school that in Hua Hin they immigration isn't even giving tests yet, they may speak a little Thai to you but that should be no issue for anybody on an EDE visa, heck I am astonished how people can live here for years and not form simple sentences on other visas.

lol

Do you seriously think your school is going to tell you the ugly truth about immigration tests?

I aced the immigration rehearsal test in school: The teacher asked us about 10 questions and I understood and answered them all better than anyone in my class.

At immigration however the questions were asked much faster, the level much higher,talking a little Thai was way not enough after 3 months

So now ED holders have to go every 2 months?

Nope you get 1 month after the 2 months, to make you pay double the 3 months semester

You not good enough (ie don't speak perfect Thai after 3 months) you pay double

lol

Do you seriously think your school is going to tell you the ugly truth about immigration tests?

I aced the immigration rehearsal test in school: The teacher asked us about 10 questions and I understood and answered them all better than anyone in my class.

At immigration however the questions were asked much faster, the level much higher,talking a little Thai was way not enough after 3 months

I have a very good relationship with my school and it is not in Bangkok or Pattaya. She said to me (not my teacher one of the main staff who I kind of know on a personal level) that right now in Hua Hin there is no standardized testing, but there will be in the near future. I trust her and if she is wrong, well I am prepared so it does't matter too much for me at least

That's always the real kicker for me too. Most of these officers can barely string together a coherent sentence in English..... Yet they want to judge how I should be progressing in Thai as if they are a professor of linguistics or something. Really bizarre that these people get to "test" us in the first place considering they are not educators, many never even attended University, and they can barely speak a second language themselves.

And most Thai learn English all the way through school (12+ years?) but 3 months we should be reciting the Alphabet, reading and writing like it's our first language...

Yeah, you think the English ability of most Thai people would be better than it is given what you just said. I think my Thai would probably be quite sharp if I studied it for 12 years to say the least. But I am only a few months along as of now. Edited by inbangkok

Which school?

She gave no reason, she just checked my papers and said, "2 months *stamp*" and sent me on my way to the next station. I thought it might have been a rule with my visa hitting the 1 year mark but as ubonjoe said, other people reporting getting the same.

I attend Walen Language school. This also means that administration at these schools where students recieve less than 3 months will have more work and now depends on the students immigration outcome.

Oh really you mean that WALEN students don't get 3 months?

Which school?

Some do some don't ..

lol

I have a very good relationship with my school and it is not in Bangkok or Pattaya. She said to me (not my teacher one of the main staff who I kind of know on a personal level) that right now in Hua Hin there is no standardized testing, but there will be in the near future. I trust her and if she is wrong, well I am prepared so it does't matter too much for me at least

How many times a week does your school staff is present at immigration? ZERO

Things are changing week by week these days

• Like 1

lol

How many times a week does your school staff is present at immigration? ZERO

Things are changing week by week these days

Ever heard of email and or telephone? They are in contact and know what changes are coming, I have been with this school for 4 years, they know what is going on. But yea you know all your stuff after what, how long have you been learning Thai?

I am not really sure where that's coming from but nope. 2 months here.

Probably because Walen was just in another thread doing his usual thing.... Taking pop shots at competitors while talking his place up ...... But I guess his students are not immune from the 2 month extensions either. Edited by inbangkok