Why Do You Want To Own Land Anyway ?

farangsay

There are a great many threads here on the subject of land ownership.

Admitted , the law in Thailand on foreignors not owning land is AFAIK fairly unique.

There seems to be huge interest in using company structures etc. to "alleviate" the problem.

From what I can make out (and my ignorance is deep and wide) a fairly solid

30 year lease is quite possible.

But what are your reasons for wanting ownership/control of the land ?

:o

I'm guessing because some people buying land are possibly investing a large percentage of their assets and want to make sure that they are protected. If you loose everything in a divorce in the UK you will still have the Government there to back you up, I can't quite see the Thai Gov rushing to a farangs aid anytime soon.

Right or wrong we come from a culture that no longer seems to view marriage as a permanent thing, and some (including myself) are uncertain of the law if the divorce occured over here. I guess with so many changes and people getting ripped off, some people will not be able to rest easy unless they know they own the land 100% outright.

I'm guessing because some people buying land are possibly investing a large percentage of their assets and want to make sure that they are protected. If you loose everything in a divorce in the UK you will still have the Government there to back you up, I can't quite see the Thai Gov rushing to a farangs aid anytime soon.

Right or wrong we come from a culture that no longer seems to view marriage as a permanent thing, and some (including myself) are uncertain of the law if the divorce occured over here. I guess with so many changes and people getting ripped off, some people will not be able to rest easy unless they know they own the land 100% outright.

Interesting points but..

I have ready many members posting advice not to invest anything in Thailand you cannot afford

to lose. Maybe because laws may change in a fairly unpredictable fashion and foreignors are

always more vulnerable in a difficult legal situation.

Also I have always understood that divorce can be fairly painless in Thailand , both parties

being willing , there is just 50/50 split of assets.

Also I have always understood that divorce can be fairly painless in Thailand , both parties

50/50 on everything, EXCEPT the land. When registering land in wifey's name, you must sign a declaration stating that you have NO claim on it.

Not all Buying of LAnd . and ownership End up profit .

Sometime . in a investment , is best kept as a Distance . A proxy .

eg. rental .

IF money is what you are after . - Owning land in Thailand is not alway profitable .

Be it you buy it in thename of your wife . or a business . unless you are able to juice it to it max .. alot

of the deal really just give average or below average return .

The trick is balance your spending and earning . and think long term ..

In business sometime .. you get stuck just cos you want mroe secure . buying it . don't alway give you a 100 % sure sale .. when you want to SELL IT .

be smart . work smart . protector yourself ..is easy to spend but hard to spend wisely .

Ta22

I started a Business thread . looking for investor and partner ..

E-mail me if you are keen . let me friends first and talk more

Admitted , the law in Thailand on foreignors not owning land is AFAIK fairly unique.

There seems to be huge interest in using company structures etc. to "alleviate" the problem.

If your single and don't want to be commitment to a wife and land then I see little point, yes money can be made but for the land prices going up nowadays you'd be better off investing it in something a little more safe, like the bank.

I guess some people who retire just fancy the novel idea of paying for land, even if they are basically squatting at the whims of their other halfs!

Interesting points but..

I have ready many members posting advice not to invest anything in Thailand you cannot afford

to lose. Maybe because laws may change in a fairly unpredictable fashion and foreignors are

If there is a 50/50 split at divorce of all assets, what happens when you have a business together? If I am not wrong, any business would have to have a Thai partner most likely with the majority percentage of ownership. :o

For me, I would like to own the land.

Whether business, or residence, if I invest time, money and labor, in a structure (especially a business that becomes successful) then I would want something that I can sell, and recoup my troubles.

30 years is a long time, and I have many clients with less than 30 year leases here who would be hurt if their leases weren't renewed. They still continue to build and invest, but.......................................

Because my husband will inherit his land from his father and I believe that if something happens to him before I die I will be out on my ass in the cold. So, having lived my entire adult life in Thailand, I will be a homeless old lady. Scares the heck out of me.

migrant, what is that in your avatar??

It's hard to see, but it is a poor wayward cat that is resting after a few beers and cigs. I tryed to get him to a mission, but the son of a gun scratched me.

Last cat I neuter

Looks a cat who has been beaten to death with a cricket bat

migrant, what is that in your avatar??

It's hard to see, but it is a poor wayward cat that is resting after a few beers and cigs. I tryed to get him to a mission, but the son of a gun scratched me.

Last cat I neuter

I think the person who had the few beers and cigs was infact the same person in charge of focussing the camera! :o

After a few two many my whole perspective on life takes on that kind of clarity.

Because my husband will inherit his land from his father and I believe that if something happens to him before I die I will be out on my ass in the cold. So, having lived my entire adult life in Thailand, I will be a homeless old lady. Scares the heck out of me.

Time to get Thai citizenship and a will. That will free you of that problem. And it is not that difficult if you are a female married to a Thai man and live as long in Thailand as you do. Get it sorted!

Read this as a good intention kick under the butt. :D

:D

One day I might want to land my helicopter on it and I aint got enough room over "ere.

Besides the next door neighbours would complain.. :o

....one day...... :D

Time to get Thai citizenship and a will. That will free you of that problem. And it is not that difficult if you are a female married to a Thai man and live as long in Thailand as you do. Get it sorted!

Read this as a good intention kick under the butt. :D

Gotta get the Surat police to learn how first. :D

As for the will, well, hubby thinks I am trying to jinx him when I discuss what might happen to me if he died. Or maybe he thinks I am trying to knock him off :D

Interesting points but..

If there is a 50/50 split at divorce of all assets, what happens when you have a business together? If I am not wrong, any business would have to have a Thai partner most likely with the majority percentage of ownership. :o

Even though the Farang can only own 49% of the shares, those shares (or a proportion of them) can be held as Preference Shares, which carry greater voting rights over the Thai 51%.

Whether or not this would actually stand up to a courts scruitiny over a land or any other business connected dispute...I dont know.

I am in the above situation - minus any previous or current disputes - and the Thai shareholders have all made out wills to return their shareholding to the company itself should anything happen to them.

By way of keeping this on-topic; I believe the standard 30 year lease can be easily extended to a further 30 years. Commonly known as a '30+30 lease' (bar slang amongst Farangs).

Hence...most of the old farts I mix with that own land, or a house and land, are all to old to worry past the initial 30 years....never mind what happens after that!

Gentlemen please!

Let's reduce tihs 30 year lease thing to a "Married Situation" with a Thai lady.

a) If the marriage holds up, you can stay in your wifes house anyway. She loves you and you love her, right? (So, why the 30 year lease?)

:o If the marriage goes to pots, why would you want to stay in your wifes house if she hates you and you hate her?

So, if (:D should develop into reality and you leave (willingly or otherwise, don't forget "the Family" that may hate you as well), what are you going to use the Document for, that states that you are "allowed" to live there?

= Regular toilet paper is a lot softer!

Cheers.

50/50 on everything, EXCEPT the land. When registering land in wifey's name, you must sign a declaration stating that you have NO claim on it.

This is true, I am about to do this.

Good Luck

Moss

Some do it for money. They are merely speculators who see land purely as an investment. Some are not married to a Thai, so have limited options.

For most though, it is simply a matter of security. You get to a certain age and you don't want to be messed about by anyone or be at anyone else's mercy, so renting is not for you.

Yes, you may be in a happy and loving relationship, but most have enough experience in life to realise that, over time things can change. So, even when love it in full bloom, you use your head and plan for a future where everyone can be secure.

If you are fortunate enough to have resources outside of Thailand to fall back on, then you may be happy to go with a lease and leave it to the wife/husband if things do not work out.

If the home you have in LOS is ALL that you have, then taking such a risk is a big deal and so all other avenues should be explored, otherwise you may find yourself as an old fart, out on your a$$ and penniless.

The Motto: Hope for the best and plan for the worst.

A) Because it's my money (why can't we both own the place 50/50 legally?)

:D because I would like my children to inherit after both of us are gone and NOT her family which I feed already at some degree and since we (thai wife) don't have children together.

Why is that so difficult to understand :o

When I buy a car it's mine, she can drive it but not sell it.

Edited by tartempion

For many of us Brits, the country which my dear lady initially used to call the 'United Condom' until I set her straight, this is a culture thing.

An Englishman's home is his castle, especially since we have no Constitution to protect us, and owning one's home has been a relatively good money-maker in recent decades.

So we tend, more than many other Europeans, to want to own our homes and the land they sit on.

This makes it harder to be thrown out of house-and-home, in our old age, when our ability to go out and earn more money has, amongst many other abilities, declined. So we feel more secure.

Which in no way means that we want to take over Thailand, but it would be nice if it were legal, to own a few rai. Which is possible for Thais in the UK - indeed DL recently bought a £4.5 million home in London - while I can't own a single talang-wah here. Equal treatment is always nice.

But I understand, and respect, Thai people's apparent fear of foreign domination, cultural or economic. Which I take the land-ownership issue to be derived from.