Building Material Costs

Hi Everyone,

Just about to embark on building a house. The plans are sortrd have the builder lined up. He is working for a fixed price p/s/m. I am purchasing the materials. The question is has anybody who is building at the moment noticed a drop in material costs. Most of the materials that go into a house are energy intensive to manufacture and energy prices have fallen considerably.

Regards David

David-How big is the house sq mtres,what area in Thailand- single or two story and how much labour costs have been quoted /sq.mtre please?

The House is being built in Chai Nat province, about 250 sq/m. It is single story, quoted 2500 baht per sq/m building costs.

Sorry for the dumb ? Does this include the car parking area and cover. how much sqm is house and how much car park . I just started looking into building.

I would like to build a small 2 bedroom home with about a 2,5 car park area with western kitchen and outdoor cooking area.

I was looking at 4m by 4m bedrooms I think in inches and feet seeing I am from America so metrics mess me up .

What is your estimate material cost ?

No idea what the OP has in mind, but for standard brick and tile construction, budget the following per sqm including materials and labor:

8-9K/sqm for very, very basic finish using the cheapest materials

10-15K/sqm for 'standard' finish

15K-25K/sqm for high standard finish

David-How big is the house sq mtres,what area in Thailand- single or two story and how much labour costs have been quoted /sq.mtre please?

The House is being built in Chai Nat province, about 250 sq/m. It is single story, quoted 2500 baht per sq/m building costs.

Hi David, your price is right on the mark. Well done.

Materials did not change much.

Your cost will greatly depend on what grades you use.

No idea what the OP has in mind, but for standard brick and tile construction, budget the following per sqm including materials and labor:

Good info re the costs at the several grades. Now, does this include all electrical and plumbing items? Also will need doors & locks, windows, ceiling fans & aircon, electrical fixtures, sewage tank, toilet fixtures, kitchen cabinets and appliances, probably others I forgot.

Re cabinet work I have had good experience with the premade wood cabinets at HomePro and HomeWorks, good design and quality which beats most of the custom work I have seen here.

Good info re the costs at the several grades. Now, does this include all electrical and plumbing items? Also will need doors & locks, windows, ceiling fans & aircon, electrical fixtures, sewage tank, toilet fixtures, kitchen cabinets and appliances, probably others I forgot.

Re cabinet work I have had good experience with the premade wood cabinets at HomePro and HomeWorks, good design and quality which beats most of the custom work I have seen here.

Those price guides are to lockup stage and include electrical, plumbing, bathrooms with toilet and shower, sewer, doors, windows etc.

They do not necessarily include things like fitted kitchens, built-ins, furniture, bathroom accessories like towel rails, water heaters, mirrors or other add-on like ceiling fans, air conditioning etc unless you work on the upper price ranges. Those are things you normally arrange after the builder has left.

As for kitchen cabinets, kvik.co.th are our favorite vendor, and are available as DIY flatpack, DIY partially assembled, or full-service. Their prices, quality and warranty are unbeaten in TH.

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

Those price guides are to lockup stage and include electrical, plumbing, bathrooms with toilet and shower, sewer, doors, windows etc.

They do not necessarily include things like fitted kitchens, built-ins, furniture, bathroom accessories like towel rails, water heaters, mirrors or other add-on like ceiling fans, air conditioning etc unless you work on the upper price ranges. Those are things you normally arrange after the builder has left.

As for kitchen cabinets, kvik.co.th are our favorite vendor, and are available as DIY flatpack, DIY partially assembled, or full-service. Their prices, quality and warranty are unbeaten in TH.

Good info guys.....

I'm a fan of Kvik...great stuff.....

On another note, I am going to completely renovate a condo in Bangkok, floors, ceilings, the lot. Can I expect that the labour costs alone then would be similar to a "build" at 2500 baht per sq.m? Or would that be on the high side?

thanks in advance....

• 2 weeks later...

I'm putting something up soon.

Thermalite blocks and sheet roof but fairly nice finish but no Euro style kitchen more concrete and tile.

I don't expect to pay more than 7-8000 all in of which no more than 2000sqm for building labour.

Edited by cheeryble