Facebook group against Thai superstition stirs debate

webfact

....I always wondered why they chose zebras....

...considering they hardly ever respect zebra crossing....and even stop signs and red lights at times......quite absurd...

...I thought it was some spiritual cultural thing......

I always thought the question "When you hear hoof-beats, who thinks of zebras?" was rhetorical, but now I have an answer. Thais.

BTW I am reliably(?) informed that whistling at night attracts ghosts. Who would have thunk it?

biggrin.png Man I have got into trouble so many times for whistling at any time because it will attract ghosts.

Even my mat. students look at me with distaste.wai.gif

It's the brain dead mentality of western people, whose conditioning makes it incapable for them to look outside the box.

These shrines work similarly to accident black spot signs that we have in the west.

If a Thai is driving at a fast speed on a stretch of road and sees one of these shrines, then they are more likely to slow down and thus reduce accidents in this area.

Get it now?

Get off the Kool-Ade. ....it's clouding your senses.

Maybe need some at Suvarnibhumi to ward off the evil spirits there. Was only recently they had some sort of show there to try and chase away the bad spirits. I have always thought that people who believe in all this crap have no belief in themselves. This relates to religion too.

Come on, chaps, you can make this work in your favour. I've told everybody I know, and all the security men and staff at my condo, that my apartment is haunted by a very powerful, malicious spirit.

I now have absolutely no fear of burglary.

Hope you're not planning to sell it on. You may have a long wait.

Edited by Bluespunk

Not easy for a third world country to enter the 21th century!!

Specially with a "leader" believing in black magic!!

Welcome to Disney-land.............................

At least he has to pretend to because his predecessors are well known for using it

Come on, chaps, you can make this work in your favour. I've told everybody I know, and all the security men and staff at my condo, that my apartment is haunted by a very powerful, malicious spirit.

No Prob. Sell it to a farang

Zebra statues are a common sight at locations where road fatalities occur under the belief that their stripes -- which remind people of pedestrian crossings -- will fend off the ghosts that many believe cause crashes.

Which remind people of pedestrian crossings that they rarely, if ever stop at?!

Perhaps real zebras would be the answer

Not easy for a third world country to enter the 21th century!!

Welcome to Disney-land.............................

Back home in the US most people believe in a sky wizard and his zombie son that will send you to paradise forever if you follow all the rules in his 2000 year old dungeons and dragons guidebook. Every president I've lived through has regularly call on this sky wizard to grant them powers and gifts and mystically guide our nation through danger.

However, combining the belief in the sky wizard and his zombie son with common sense driving and adherence to driving/ crosswalk regulations appears to prevent numerous road and pedestrian fatalities. Thus proving common sense, where it really counts, does work.

Hmmm, I wonder the benefits of combining stupidity and ignorance with intelligence and understanding.

No Prob. Sell it to a farang

Still a problem if the farang has a Thai other half. Flats with view of a cemetery rent very cheaply, I'm told.

It's the brain dead mentality of western people, whose conditioning makes it incapable for them to look outside the box.

These shrines work similarly to accident black spot signs that we have in the west.

If a Thai is driving at a fast speed on a stretch of road and sees one of these shrines, then they are more likely to slow down and thus reduce accidents in this area.

Get it now?

Yet the same locations continue to claim lives.

Do YOU get it now?

As do accident black spots in the West

I am so happy to see this thread. For many years now I have been completely mystified

by the presence of those little zebras, an alien animal to Thailand. Zebra pedestrian

crossings? That seems a bit odd, as to the best of my knowledge those are a pretty

recent farang idea here..... They have killed more than a few farangs, as new tourists

here actually expect the Thais to stop when they start to cross the road . cheesy.gif