Confused!

thecynic

Thanks again.

I bought a new trek mtb with no back suspension and I believe 8 or 9 gears this evening for 16k.

I got tired of thinking about it too much. Will get the tyres changed if find it too uncomfortable.

I am not nearly as overweight, just got bored of the gym.

Thanks again for the help. Hope I made the right choice.

Cheers!

The important thing is, you now have a bike. Personally, I ride Trek so support your choice. My first Trek was more of a starter bike and as my interest grew and I got stronger, my needs changed and the bike evolved with me.

Hopefully your bike will not end up being a piece of exercise equipment which ends up in some dark dusty corner but there is no way to know until you have had it for a while. Riding is a great way to explore areas too far for walking or inconvenient with a car. It is also a good form of exercise.

Some people find it motivational to have a buddy or a group to ride with but for now just enjoy your new bike. Let us know how you feel about your choice after a few rides.

I found getting a tracking app on my phone a great motivator; as well as boundless statistics, I can relive the trip again once I get home, check out all the wrong turns and alternatives, and spend hours planning future rides. I use Runtastic, recommended by a fellow-poster here

SC

But Strava is better than Runtastic!

Another good tracking app is Endomondo, which also lets you setup personal challenges as well.

I use all of them, but Strava is my primary training aid (if you subscribe to premium, you even get some training videos from The Sufferfest for when you're in the gym or on the turbo trainer), soon you'll be wanting to add another bike, upgrade parts and thinking that those Lycra shorts are a great idea and before you know it you have a cupboard full of jerseys and matching bibs/shorts........or is that just me? ;-)

could you, respectfully tell me why you think that Strava is "Actually" better then runtastic, my mate rob say the the same as you but cannot tell me why?

I run runtastic and would change if I knew why it was better

Thanks again.

I bought a new trek mtb with no back suspension and I believe 8 or 9 gears this evening for 16k.

I got tired of thinking about it too much. Will get the tyres changed if find it too uncomfortable.

I am not nearly as overweight, just got bored of the gym.

Thanks again for the help. Hope I made the right choice.

Cheers!

The important thing is, you now have a bike. Personally, I ride Trek so support your choice. My first Trek was more of a starter bike and as my interest grew and I got stronger, my needs changed and the bike evolved with me.

Hopefully your bike will not end up being a piece of exercise equipment which ends up in some dark dusty corner but there is no way to know until you have had it for a while. Riding is a great way to explore areas too far for walking or inconvenient with a car. It is also a good form of exercise.

Some people find it motivational to have a buddy or a group to ride with but for now just enjoy your new bike. Let us know how you feel about your choice after a few rides.

I found getting a tracking app on my phone a great motivator; as well as boundless statistics, I can relive the trip again once I get home, check out all the wrong turns and alternatives, and spend hours planning future rides. I use Runtastic, recommended by a fellow-poster here

SC

But Strava is better than Runtastic!

Another good tracking app is Endomondo, which also lets you setup personal challenges as well.

I use all of them, but Strava is my primary training aid (if you subscribe to premium, you even get some training videos from The Sufferfest for when you're in the gym or on the turbo trainer), soon you'll be wanting to add another bike, upgrade parts and thinking that those Lycra shorts are a great idea and before you know it you have a cupboard full of jerseys and matching bibs/shorts........or is that just me? ;-)

could you, respectfully tell me why you think that Strava is "Actually" better then runtastic, my mate rob say the the same as you but cannot tell me why?

I run runtastic and would change if I knew why it was better

The hint is in the name of the app, Runtastic was developed with running in mind, cycling was an afterthought and although not bad, if you're in to training as well the data and challenges provided by Strava are more focused on cycling. I would even say Endomondo is better than Runtastic, for similar reasons.

• Like 1

I use the Tomtom Mutli sport cardio when I exercise. When I get home I automatically upload to Strava and Endomondo. I have the premium membership at Endonmondo bc it seemed like they have better stats, but I like to use the segment feature at Strava. I check a few of the sections of my commute every day to see how it compares to previous times.

http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sports/multi-sport/products/multi-sport-cardio-gps-watch/white-red/index.html

I doubt it, but would something like the Wahoo Fitness RFKLT work with the watch? (it has blue tooth , but I've never really used blue tooth before except to try and fail at connecting to a few things). I need just the data from the watch, not navigation. I prefer not to have to have the mobile in the mix if possible, to keep things simple. Also, the watch have my HR data etc, so I don't need a separate HRM to pair with the phone/Wahoo.

Edited by taony

I use the Tomtom Mutli sport cardio when I exercise. When I get home I automatically upload to Strava and Endomondo. I have the premium membership at Endonmondo bc it seemed like they have better stats, but I like to use the segment feature at Strava. I check a few of the sections of my commute every day to see how it compares to previous times.

http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sports/multi-sport/products/multi-sport-cardio-gps-watch/white-red/index.html

I doubt it, but would something like the Wahoo Fitness RFKLT work with the watch? (it has blue tooth , but I've never really used blue tooth before except to try and fail at connecting to a few things). I need just the data from the watch, not navigation. I prefer not to have to have the mobile in the mix if possible, to keep things simple. Also, the watch have my HR data etc, so I don't need a separate HRM to pair with the phone/Wahoo.

The RFKLT is just a dumb head unit that relies on your smartphone to do all the processing and provide the GPS fix. So no it won't work in the way you describe unfortunately.

Thanks. I was doing some research. MAybe I just need a basic GPS one to replace my old one with the magnet in the spokes. I looked at a few garmin, but they are annoying with buying maps and all. The one I saw had no map for Asia even available. The time I do need navigation, I will just need to keep using the phone.

If you just want basic GPS without maps, you should be able to find an older Garmin Edge 500 for a reasonable price. Not sure if your Tom Tom also broadcast ANT+ for the HRM, if it does then the Garmin will also pick up that too.

• Like 1

Thanks. It has bluetooth, but I don't think ANT+. I'll have to still peek at the watch to get that. I will look into the 500. I've seen them in Amarin PLaza I think. I will also check Aliexpress.

Edit: Does it export gpx files? easily? I've looked at a few reviews, but don't see much discussion on this aspect.

Edited by taony

Edit: Does it export gpx files? easily? I've looked at a few reviews, but don't see much discussion on this aspect.

Yes it does, either directly from the device itself, or exporting from Garmin Connect/Strava/Endomondo etc.

If you have a bit more cash to spend, suggest looking at the Edge 510, bigger screen and some additional functionality that you may, or may not find useful, but the best thing is it's a current model in the Garmin lineup.

• Like 1

Thanks again. The 510 looks cool. I am having second thoughts about this now, haha. Will take another week or two to decide. I have the tomtom watch so these GPS computers duplicate much of that but also without a map. I was in the market for a new basic computer so I don't have to take my hands off the bike to read the watch while riding, then thought GPS would be better, no wires or no magents. Then "GPS?", why not get one with maps then I don't need to use the phone at all! So now going over board. I like the HRM in the watch bc its on the wrist. Too bad it doesn't transmit ANT+ though.

Anyway, I will keep looking. Thanks for your advice. Yesterday I found a link on the DCRainmaker site for a way to get free openstreetmaps. Seems like the only option for the Edge Touring bc there is no map available from Garmin for Asia. Only a world map, which i think doesn't have much local detail. I will look into that too. I don't need the navigation much, like I mentioned before, but its in the same price range as the 510. I just have a bad memory when I start exercising, so when I go for long rides to places for the first time, I forget where the turns are or options for changing course out in the boon docks. When I take my phone with me , I only use it once it a while to glance at the map. But once you start researching these things, the bells and whistles look good! so maybe it would be nice to have a navigation help. The breadcrumb option in the 510 works too.

If you want maps, there is always the Edge 800/810/1000 ;-) price increases as the numbers do. Personally haven't found a use for maps on a bike so far.

Or if you want basic computer functions with GPS and a camera, Garmin VIRB is an interesting choice (no maps though).

Personally I'm saving for a Fenix3 or Epix, I have a separate Optical HRM called a Mio Link (it's actually the same unit as in your TomTom) that broadcasts ANT+ and BLE simultaneously, so I can play around with different gadgets and apps.

I've been trying without success to pair the tomtom and my mobile. The bluetooth settings say they are paired, but when I then try to use the STrava or Endomondo app, its not recognized.

So that means I will try for a separate bike computer. I guess its between the 510 and the O-Synce Navi2Coach. I can get the 510 here for a reasonable price. But would have to order the other online. I would prefer not to buy a garmin to be honest, but with the 510 it doesn't seem there are too many restrictions or proprietary things. I've read a lot of good reviews, but also some people have had issues. They sell the bundle for B10,900 in a few places. But at Amarin, they also sell the computer only for B8,490, which is the same price at back in the US it seems (surprising! usually things are more expensive). Then I could get an Ant+ cadence sensor for B1,100. I think its the only one from the bundle I would want anyway. The GPS is fine enough for me for speed, even if it doesn't get it entirely accurate until the calculations at the end of the ride. And I don't want a heart rate strap, that's why I have the watch! So in addition, I might get a Mio Link to use when on the bike for $!00 so I could stream it to the Garmin (praying that I get better results than the BT watch to mobile). I can order it in the US and have my wife send it to me. Its a shame the tomtom doesn't have Ant+. I have a feeling in another year or two I will be getting another watch haha.

So all told this is about $400. Hmm worth it? Not sure. The thing that held me from puling the trigger yesterday was that its been over two years now since the 510 was announced. Surely a 520 is coming soon?

So last night I went to Amarin and got the 510. It was between the 510 and the Navi2Coach by O-Synce (something like that). But really all you can get in the stores here is garmin, so I went that way bc its quickest. I will pick up a cadence sensor on Saturday. Sent an email to Mio Global on shipping a Mio Fuse here so I can also pair that.

This morning I rode my bike to work as usual and tested the breadcrumb navigation on the 510. It was fine! I think it will work with what I need, so I am happy. The unit seems not too difficult to manage either so hopefully the learning curve (for the things I need/want, not everything it is capable of) won't be too bad.

On the navigation this morning, at the first turn the arrow was at the turn while I was still some distance away, so I thought "oh crop, this won't work bc I won't know which road to turn at if my current position is so far off". Then suddenly two small boxes appeared "turn in 106m" "10 seconds (or something I forget!)". Woohoo! Great! I don't know how that info was in there, I just loaded in a gpx file. Hopefully, I pray, its like that with all gpx files!

That's helpful thanks. I have been looking all over with no success yet.

Do you know where iLife Shop is?

Edit: I think I found it through google, called Dot Life. I am going to Central World , they said they have one!

Thanks!

Cheers.

Edited by taony
  • Like 1