finding public internet-Cafes in TH with VIRUS-FREE Comps - impossible ?

THAILIBAN

sometimes I am on the road and in need to use a proper Desktop Comp.

In the recent past, it seems to be virtually impossible to find a Computer at an internet-cafe or other public place that is NOT Virus-infested (keyloggers plus all the other nasty stuff that does exist).

Even the Computers at the TRUE Cafes were usually infested, only found one at Central Bangna in the recent past that seemed to be entirely clean. I am always running several online-scans before typing in data I do not want to share with others.

But now TRUE has removed all those public Computers from all their Cafes anyway (at least that's the case at their Bangkok outlets).

unfortunately, I am too stupid / clueless to create such a USB-stick which you can boot from any Computer like your own seperate OS.

but my question is actually is: anybody know reliable places, mostly in BKK, PTY and CNX where it can be ensured there are no nasty data-stealing programs on it ?

any input would be appreciated

Edited by THAILIBAN

USB booting your own OS is the only reliable way. I never use these things, you should assume that there is malware present even if you can't find it.

It's not that hard to create a USB bootable installation, I suggest you look into that or get someone at a computer shop to do it for you.

Virus / malware scans won't show up every piece of malware or virus, they never have and never will even if they're fully updated.

If I did use one I wouldn't use it to pay for anything or login to any service I use.

I came across a system once which wiped the OS disk clean and copied a prepared disk image back over it making a clean boot every time so all you would have left is the malware / keyloggers installed by the internet cafe operator biggrin.png

If you don't have and do need a regular PC that is safe from infection and accessible everywhere do as I have done for a long time. Either run up on your own infrastructure or rent from the likes of Amazon or azure should cost not more than a 1000 THB a month. The products are usually under the VDI (Virtual Desktop Interface) and will most likely be a virtualized PC image all to yourself, if you infect with a virus you can restart again in a snap, and they provide persistent storage for your files so they aren't at risk.

I had a quick look and it would appear that Amazon have a product that maybe suitable :

http://aws.amazon.com/workspaces/ $35 a month.. Could be what you need. And it will be accessible from your tablet. PC or wherever you are.

How to access, could be via RDP (mstsc.exe) or via a web client.

Hope that helps.

As for the PCs at Internet Cafes, they are generally not safe, the operators rarely have a suitable setup to protect themselves or clients from malware and so it is usually persistent and pervasive in their environments.