O-A Visa

Ok he was talking about not being able to get a retirement visa if the person was already in thailand and that he must apply while he is in the US which is incorrect. Come on over and you can do everything here and skip all the crap required when you do it in the states. Thats the jist of this post not the proper wording geesh you guys....

you can not get a retirement visa in Thailand, you can get an extension of your permission to stamp for one year, as long as you had a Non Imm 'O' visa or a Non imm 'O' 'A' to start the process, either issued abroad or in the case of a non imm'O' visa issued in Thailand as part of a conversion process.

The only 'retirement' visa ( using the term retirement loosely) you can get, a non imm 'O''A' is from your home country or a country where you have residence, using money from within that country, which would give you, a one year permission to stay stamp on each entry within the validity of the visa.

These are two different kettles of fish

Ok he was talking about not being able to get a retirement visa if the person was already in thailand and that he must apply while he is in the US which is incorrect. Come on over and you can do everything here and skip all the crap required when you do it in the states. Thats the jist of this post not the proper wording geesh you guys....

you can not get a retirement visa in Thailand, you can get an extension of your permission to stamp for one year, as long as you had a Non Imm 'O' visa or a Non imm 'O' 'A' to start the process, either issued abroad or in the case of a non imm'O' visa issued in Thailand as part of a conversion process.

The only 'retirement' visa ( using the term retirement loosely) you can get, a non imm 'O''A' is from your home country or a country where you have residence, using money from within that country, which would give you, a one year permission to stay stamp on each entry within the validity of the visa.

Steve187, it is possible to apply for an O visa for the purposes of retirement from within Thailand if you arrived here on 30 day visa exempt status. You'd submit TM Form 87. If you have a tourist visa you could convert it to a 90-day O visa using TM Form 86. It used to be possible to do this in several provinces popular for retirement, but now it has to be done in Bangkok. It's not necessary to leave the country.

So yes, you can get an "O" visa issued on the basis of retirement here in Thailand.

The O-A visa is simply a special subcategory of an O visa. That's all it is. An O visa granted on the basis of retirement is a "retirement visa", just like an O visa granted on the basis of marriage is a "marriage visa" All an O-A visa is is a "retirement visa obtained in advance of coming to Thailand" The head of CM Immigration told me the "A" stands for "already approved" for 12-month permission to stay.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

All the quibbling on retirement, permission to stay, O vs. O-A probably does absolutely nothing to help the OP.

As far as I have ever found, in Thai it does not mention anything about "retirement"... It does say something to the effect of "spending the rest of life". The English translation used to say, "to spend the rest of life in the Kingdom". I don't think there is any requirement to actually be retired.

Immigration officers speaking English probably only say "retirement" because foreigners cannot understand anything else and it gets the job done. Even stamping "Retirement" over the permission to stay means nothing except giving Immigration a heads up as to the reason someone has the extension.

Everyone needs to get over their I-know-more-than-you attitudes.

Edited by hml367

All the quibbling on retirement, permission to stay, O vs. O-A probably does absolutely nothing to help the OP.

As far as I have every found, in Thai it does not mention anything about "retirement"... It does say something to the effect of "spending the rest of life". The English translation used to say, "to spend the rest of life in the Kingdom". I don't think there is any requirement to actually be retired.

Immigration officers speaking English probably only say "retirement" because foreigners cannot understand anything else and it gets the job done. Even stamping "Retirement" over the permission to stay means nothing except giving Immigration a heads up as to the reason someone has the extension.

There is no need to be actually retired, but you cannot work in Thailand.

As far as I have every found, in Thai it does not mention anything about "retirement"... It does say something to the effect of "spending the rest of life". The English translation used to say, "to spend the rest of life in the Kingdom". I don't think there is any requirement to actually be retired.

Agreed. That is also normally stamped with the permission to stay I think.

If these general questions were answered only by people like you and a few others I think it would be more beneficial to questions like the OP's. All the other people jumping in is what confuses things.... not the different ways of being able to get a long term permission to stay.

Edited by hml367

I got my O-A visa in the US in Jan 2013 and got nearly two years stay from it. I did not need to transfer any funds to Thailand. I got the police report from my county sheriffs office for free in about ten minutes. I went to my usual doctor and dropped off the medical paper in the morning. Picked it up that afternoon. No charge. Sent the required documents into the Thai embassy Washington DC. None of the documents were notarized. I got my passport back in exactly one week from the day I sent it in.

I had to post this because I am always seeing the posts about how difficult it is to get the O-A visa. Probably posts from persons who have never even tried to get it. It was not difficult at all and it was very fast.

• Like 2

I am Murican.

I came to Thailand and entered on 30-day visa exempt.

Applied/received a 90-day NON O.

Then applied/received a 1-year extension of stay based on retirement.

For the purpose of obtaining a "retirement visa" O/A and O is same same. Difference is O/A is obtained outside Thailand and O is obtained inside.

You can do everything inside or outside the borders.

Steve187, it is possible to apply for an O visa for the purposes of retirement from within Thailand if you arrived here on 30 day visa exempt status. You'd submit TM Form 87. If you have a tourist visa you could convert it to a 90-day O visa using TM Form 86. It used to be possible to do this in several provinces popular for retirement, but now it has to be done in Bangkok. It's not necessary to leave the country.

So yes, you can get an "O" visa issued on the basis of retirement here in Thailand.

The O-A visa is simply a special subcategory of an O visa. That's all it is. An O visa granted on the basis of retirement is a "retirement visa", just like an O visa granted on the basis of marriage is a "marriage visa" All an O-A visa is is a "retirement visa obtained in advance of coming to Thailand" The head of CM Immigration told me the "A" stands for "already approved" for 12-month permission to stay.

did you not see the second line of my post quote '' or in the case of a non imm'O' visa issued in Thailand as part of a conversion process.''

Difference is O/A is obtained outside Thailand and O is obtained inside.

Both Non'O' and Non'O''A' are obtained outside Thailand, a Non'O' can also be obtained in Thailand, BUT only as part of a conversion process be that 'retirement' or 'Thai spouse'

• Like 1

did you not see the second line of my post quote '' or in the case of a non imm'O' visa issued in Thailand as part of a conversion process.''

I sure nough did. Didnt say or imply anything you wrote was wrong. I just wrote of my own personal experience, nothing more nothing less.

I sure nough did. Didnt say or imply anything you wrote was wrong. I just wrote of my own personal experience, nothing more nothing less.

My reply was to the post by NancyL

Edited by steve187

Agreed. That is also normally stamped with the permission to stay I think.

If these general questions were answered only by people like you and a few others I think it would be more beneficial to questions like the OP's. All the other people jumping in is what confuses things.... not the different ways of being able to get a long term permission to stay.

I find that posts often generate other questions and discussions and perhaps they are not directly pertinent to the OP's original question, but it is how many of us get a bit smarter about the often convoluted rules and routes towards living in and/or visiting Thailand.

• Like 1

I got my O-A visa in the US in Jan 2013 and got nearly two years stay from it. I did not need to transfer any funds to Thailand. I got the police report from my county sheriffs office for free in about ten minutes. I went to my usual doctor and dropped off the medical paper in the morning. Picked it up that afternoon. No charge. Sent the required documents into the Thai embassy Washington DC. None of the documents were notarized. I got my passport back in exactly one week from the day I sent it in.

I had to post this because I am always seeing the posts about how difficult it is to get the O-A visa. Probably posts from persons who have never even tried to get it. It was not difficult at all and it was very fast.

I'm sorry Issanman, but the experience of my husband and me in attempting to obtain O-A visas from the Chicigo Consulate in the U.S. was quite the contrary.

Our doctors insisted on testing for every disease listed on the medical form. Cha-ching! Our financial manager couldn't simply sign-off on a copy of our investment account and the home office of the investment firm gave us a big run-around. In the end we had to get our lawyer involved to get a statement of our retirement accounts that was acceptable to the Chicago Consulate Cha-ching! Our little local township police dept. acted like they'd never had law-abiding citizens ask for a criminal background check. At least that problem didn't cost must money, just a lot of time consuming phone calls. All this while we were trying to sell our home, business and unwind our lives to get ready to move to Thailand.

Then, when we finally got all the paperwork together and FedExed to the Chicago Consulate, they didn't return it in the time promised. Our flight to Thailand was very soon. In the end, our passports arrived about two weeks later than we'd been promised and we were shocked to discover that Hubby had received an O-A visa, but I'd been given just a multi-entry O visa. What an insult. I was qualified to receive a retirement visa in my own right. Over age 50, funds in my own name in excess of 800,000 baht and yet I received a stinking multi-entry O visa! Two days before our flight to Thailand!

After 38 hours of travel, we arrived at Swampy and Hubby's passport was stamped with entry for 365 days, while mine was stamped for 90 days! I asked they Immigration officer why I had a different visa than my husband's when we'd submitted identical documents and paid the same fee. He said "go back to Chicago and ask them" That's when I became a Thai visa warrior and made it my business to learn everything possible about retirement visas.

And no -- in that era, a wife wasn't able to go to Immigration and get an extension to match her husbands permission to stay. That is a very recent enhancement.

So Mr. Issanman, I'm indeed speaking from very raw personal experience when I say that the O-A visa isn't for everyone.

I had to immediately bring 800,000 baht into Thailand, two years before I planned, to avoid doing border runs every 90 days when I'd already invested countless hours and hundreds of dollars in attempting (and failing) to obtain an O-A visa.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

I'm sorry Issanman, but the experience of my husband and me in attempting to obtain O-A visas from the Chicigo Consulate in the U.S. was quite the contrary.

Our doctors insisted on testing for every disease listed on the medical form. Cha-ching! Our financial manager couldn't simply sign-off on a copy of our investment account and the home office of the investment firm gave us a big run-around. In the end we had to get our lawyer involved to get a statement of our retirement accounts that was acceptable to the Chicago Consulate Cha-ching! Our little local township police dept. acted like they'd never had law-abiding citizens ask for a criminal background check. At least that problem didn't cost must money, just a lot of time consuming phone calls. All this while we were trying to sell our home, business and unwind our lives to get ready to move to Thailand.

Then, when we finally got all the paperwork together and FedExed to the Chicago Consulate, they didn't return it in the time promised. Our flight to Thailand was very soon. In the end, our passports arrived about two weeks later than we'd been promised and we were shocked to discover that Hubby had received an O-A visa, but I'd been given just a multi-entry O visa. What an insult. I was qualified to receive a retirement visa in my own right. Over age 50, funds in my own name in excess of 800,000 baht and yet I received a stinking multi-entry O visa! Two days before our flight to Thailand!

After 38 hours of travel, we arrived at Swampy and Hubby's passport was stamped with entry for 365 days, while mine was stamped for 90 days! I asked they Immigration officer why I had a different visa than my husband's when we'd submitted identical documents and paid the same fee. He said "go back to Chicago and ask them" That's when I became a Thai visa warrior and made it my business to learn everything possible about retirement visas.

And no -- in that era, a wife wasn't able to go to Immigration and get an extension to match her husbands permission to stay. That is a very recent enhancement.

So Mr. Issanman, I'm indeed speaking from very raw personal experience when I say that the O-A visa isn't for everyone.

I had to immediately bring 800,000 baht into Thailand, two years before I planned, to avoid doing border runs every 90 days when I'd already invested countless hours and hundreds of dollars in attempting (and failing) to obtain an O-A visa.

Sorry to hear your difficulties. I have gotten a non imm o-a via the LA consulate in each of the last two years and found it very easy. A half hour visit to my doctor where we chuckled about the questions, a simple letter from my bank, photos from Walmart, and I obtained a police report via a request on their internet site.

Each year we spend most of the winter in Thailand and I plan on continuing to obtain a non imm o-a prior to leaving the states each time. It makes it easy when I am here in that I am beholden to no one for an extension of stay and merely drop in twice during that time for 90 day check ins.

• Like 2

I got my O-A in Honolulu while waiting for my flight. I did have the required documentation when I went in. The documents were extremely easy to get.

Just goes to show that not everyone's experience is the same. Also, things can change rather quickly. Honolulu, which is an Honorary Consul, had to stop issuing these (many Consuls were stopped), then they were issuing them again. I'm not sure if they can issue the O-A now.

• Like 1

I got my O-A in Honolulu while waiting for my flight. I did have the required documentation when I went in. The documents were extremely easy to get.

Just goes to show that not everyone's experience is the same. Also, things can change rather quickly. Honolulu, which is an Honorary Consul, had to stop issuing these (many Consuls were stopped), then they were issuing them again. I'm not sure if they can issue the O-A now.

The fact that you got your O-A from the Honorary Consulate in Honolulu "while waiting for my flight" is exactly the reason why Honorary Consulates are not allowed to issue them anymore. They were not following the MFO's guidelines for issuing them so the ability was taken away from all Honorary Consulates, not just Honolulu

They did follow tge guidelines when I got mine.

Like I said, I had all the required documentation. I knew what was needed because Immigration in Bangkok would not do a conversion for me. At the time you could not convert in Chiang Mai.

Waiting for my flight and getting the visa had nothing to do with the reason Honolulu or any other Consul had to stop. I think the biggest reason was people mailing paperwork and passports from Thailand to get the visas. Could certainly have happened in Honoluku also.

Dear Visa Experts,

I am a UK citizen and I obtained a Non Immigrant Long Stay O-A Multi Entry (Retirement) Visa in London on 20th January 2014. The visa states that I had to enter Thailand before 19th January 2015, which I did.

Yesterday I went to the Sriracha Immigration Office with my TM7 to apply for an extension to stay for a further year. I was informed that I did not need to do this yet as my last entry stamp was 17th December 2014, and that I am permitted to stay until 16th December 2015. It therefore appears that my O-A Visa is valid for almost two years, which surprised me. I was informed however that if I left Thailand my visa would be cancelled. Luckily I had the paperwork (TM8) with me, and I obtained a multi entry permit which expires on 16th December. I checked that the information I was given was correct with two other immigration officers, and one said something about a change in the rules.

I don't recall seeing the information about an O-A Visa being valid for more than one year elsewhere. I would welcome your views and comments.

Two other pieces of information that may be useful.

1. My 90 day address report is three months after my last entry stamp, i.e. 15th March, rather than three months after my visit yesterday, which I found a bit illogical.

2. I obtained a form entitled Receipt of Notification, after my Thai girlfriend showed our House Book and warranted that I lived at that address. Hopefully, this is enough to prove my address information in my future dealings with Immigration.

​Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Being able to get almost 2 years of stay out of OA visa has been discussed on this forum many times.

The visa itself is only valid for one year meaning you can use it for entry to the country for one year. The one year is not how long you can remain in the country. After the visa expires you can remain here on the last permit to stay you got form your last entry. To keep that permit to stay valid if you want to travel you need a re-entry permit.

• Like 1

Immigration is right. It has to do with the difference between a visa and the permssion to stay.

You had a multiple entry O_A visa. With that visa, every time you enter Thailand while the visa is valid you get a permission to stay for 1 year. Since you last entered Thailand In Dec. your permisison to stay is valid till Dec 2015.

Now you your visa has expired you canno longer use it to enter Thailand, so you will not get a new year upon entry.

My 90 year old mom just got an OA Visa in Washington DC. I am still in shock. I am on a one year extension of a 90 day Non immigrant O. I got the Non O in Savannaket..

So...you see the difference?

Non 0 (Savannaket) is good for 90 days, and then you need the one year extension. (Extension obtained in Thailand)

Non OA (Washington) is good for a year. Reporting every 90 days. After a year, she can apply for a One year Extension, but needs to transfer her money here. I do not think it is a good idea to transfer her money here. She will be staying only Eighteen months, so I will let the OA run the course of one year, and then apply for a double entry tourist visa, after that.

I am actually worried that she may pass away during that 18 months. She desires burial in the USA, so her money must be available to my brother there, who is the "Trustee" of her account and Estate. Also the "Executor" of her will. In 18 months, I will return, with her, to the USA.

Just an example of the differences, and reasons behind.

Edited by slipperylobster

She can just leave the country and re-enter the same day and will get a new 1 year extension of stay if she leaves just before the visa itself expires.

good news.. I am still reviewing everything about her OA. Without "hijacking" the OP's thread...I was just giving an example of benefits of the OA over the O.

Thanks. My brothers would not be happy about her depositing money here.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all hope its ok to post here rather than a new one as its same topic.

Having read lots of interesting and conflicting information, everyone has differing opinions and experiences hope some can help me.

Thanks in advance for any input.

I have just retired to Thailand (Phuket), I got a Non O 12 month visa from London based on marriage as it seemed simpler all they asked for was marriage certificate and the £125, I could have gone for the retirement version.

As I now understand I should have made sure I got the O/A version. Too late now!

I am now in my last 30 days of the 90 I got when I entered and not looking forward to visiting a very busy Phuket immigration office, called in briefly to ask some questions but it was chaotic…

I applied for the income letter from the British embassy which I now have so I can apply for either retirement or marriage extension any advice on which is better? It seems like it will be easier to go for the retirement extension to stay. as i was married in UK and although we have marriage certificate translated and stamped by Thai embassy im told we would have to got through another process here.

I would also add that we have a child who is registered as Thai and born in UK. was told to bring along her birth certificate which is also translated in Thai.

My main questions are what exactly will I need for retirement extension to stay?

Do I need the medical form?

Assume I don’t need Police clearance although I did have one in UK (they didn’t want to see it in UK) but it’s now more than 3 months old?

Which application do I complete 3 times? I found info on using TM22 but others say TM7?

On TM 22 it says about certificate of residence details (I thought that was issued by immigration?), I have a blue book as I have bought a house here. No yellow book yet…

so if I have my 3 forms and 3 photographs

and my embassy income confirmation letter.

my blue Tabien Baan.

will I be able to get my 365 day stamp?

Many thanks. eagerly await comments... smile.png

For a one year extension of stay based upon retirement your income must be at least 65k baht. For marriage it is 40k baht.

You use the TM7 form for an extension of stay application with one attached photo. You will only need one completed TM7 for an extension based upon retirement.

You will also need copies of your passport photo page, visa, entry/permit to stay stamp and TM6 departure card.

Your blue book should be enough for proof of residence.

No medical or police certificate will be needed.

• Like 1