Private schools in Thailand on shaky ground

webfact

My personal background - teaching at Gov't schools.

My children never went through a Private school.

Both of them got excellent results at school and entered their first choice Uni (very competitive courses).

Well, I must admit it was not in Thailand!

I wrote the above not to wave the flag but to explain and support my firm belief:

- private sector provides better facilities at exuberant prices but not a better education;

- a good gov't school can and often does beat private 'elite' school in quality education delivered;

- the emphasis is on 'good' - meaning - academic orientation, dedicated teachers, motivated parents and students;

- to achieve the above the gov't school must be:

* strictly senior (last 4 years);

* unisex (boys or girls, but not mixed);

* entry by exams (judged strictly objectively);

* each year 5% of students showing weakest results must leave to allow mobility and maintain high standards;

* such gov't schools must teach to International curriculum.

Conditions above only can be achieved if the Gov't is serious about uplifting the Ed. Standards in their country.

1. You can't compare developed countries and developing ones.

2. Depends on level (curriculum) and majors.

In France, the best senior high schools are public.The best graduate school (engineering) is public: Polytechnique. The top business schools are private: HEC, ESSEC, ESCP. To study medicine, law, etc. you have to go to public universities. And so on.

I studied @ public school and junior / senior high schools, then went to public uni + private business school and got 2 masters.

In Thailand, for primary curriculum, roughly, you can go to temple schools, demo schools (public), private schools and international private schools. Choice's based on location, money and kid skills (sometimes, "tea money" will help).

Last but not least, society is mixed (women and men), so schools should reflect this fact.

Surely, the real problem is, is that having a private sector in education that is as large as Thailand's is the problem.

Basically, any institution that is private is bound to operate on profit, profit being the main motive. And once profit is the main motive, yes, the most important thing is to tell parents that they are paying for a good education for their kids. And if the quality of the education is very low, well, as long as parents think it's good, they will carry on paying. And anyway, even if parents do think they're not getting their money's worth, the system can still imply to people "well, at least the standard is better than a government school (no fees to pay in a government school), do you want to send your kids to a government school, do you want to save money by cutting back on your kid's education, we know you're not going to do that".

And the fees being paid, they might seem expensive, but how much is the salary for a 'good' teacher ? Bear in mind profit, cost of maintaining the school building, etc, what standard do you expect bearing in mind the fees you are paying. Okay, if you're paying top wack fees, you might get some 'decent' teachers.

So what's the solution ? Well, it simply isn't going to happen. The solution : pump a stack of government (tax-payers) money into government schools, to try and improve standards of the teachers. As the number of private schools drops, well, it doesn't matter, parents can still send their kids to government schools. Maybe carry on handing government money to private schools, and boost these grants, but if they're private profit making institutions, well, I'm not sure about doing that.

Eventually, if they actually do this, give it time, most of the private institutions will end, more people will be sending their kids to government schools. A far smaller number of private schools will exist, and those private schools will charge top wack fees, but mega-rich Thais will still be able to pay those fees and send their kids to those schools.

But we all know, they'ill never actually do this, as in pump in serious cash into government schools. Why ? Because Thailand is controlled by the richest two to five per cent of the Thai population. These people simply don't want their tax money being used to fund education for other other peoples' children. The basic comment "why should lots of tax money (paid mainly by rich people like me) be used to subsidise your kid's education, pay it yourself if you want a decent education for your kids". This is the comment lots of rich people secretly (and sometimes, not so secretly) make.

At our (private) school, Thai teachers haven't had a summer holiday for years, not even a day. Now, they are being told they must work weekends as well until the start of the new semester (through summer).

...thats exactly why Trade Unions were formed 140yrs ago. However, in a Feudalistic,hierarchal society the concept of an organized "union" designed to benefit the worker at the cost of the employer is as comprehendible as the popular Prathon pastime of shooting rubber bands at the sun.

• Like 1

Idnguy..... I would say you had a point if they didn't accept government subsidies.... once they do that politicians and and the people have a responsibility to ensure that money is spent wisely and a good product is offered. As teachers are the "talent" you get what you pay for. You can't recruit and retain the best and brightest and supply the best product with low wages.... if they want to cut corners to increase profit get off the governments dime....

I doubt whether private schools will vanish if the national schools are anything to go by,

My step daughter who is 12 and came to live with us back in the uk about 18 months ago spoke to her 16 year old friend back in thailand recently and my stepdaughter was doing a higher level maths at 12 year old in the uk than her friend who is a quite inteligent 16 year old.

she says they never learn hardly anything about geography, RE, science's.

Gladly my stepdaughter is exelling beyond all her teachers expectations as coming here not speaking a word if English.

PS Ask a thai kid anything about dinosaurs, :)

Edited by cookie1003

"Jirapan Pimpan said there were now about 4,000 private schools in the country and fewer than 1,000 of them were famous."

That's a lot of famous private schools. I can only name three.

I think you can assume famous is an example of a Thai trying to write correct English instead of hiring a native speaking English editor. Famous being translated as well known.

Edited by thailiketoo

Teachers who complete the four-year bachelor degree programme or the equivalent advanced certificate in Buddhist theology are meant to be paid Bt13,300, compared to the old rate of Bt11,680.

The Thai government is paying private school teacher salary bonuses to teachers who have completed an advanced certificate in Buddhist theology????

And anyone wonders why the education system here is c**p...

Maybe because it's equivalent to a bachelor degree! Its a 4 years education and they might not be the best English or mathematics teachers but I would guess they can teach a subject like religion far better than you and me!

This is exactly why government school is the best, as it strictly follow Prayuth 12 core Thainese value.

Thai government school now even have Farang teacher.

Not sure if they managed to get the full 15,000 Baht / month or not.

not having a go at you but honestly all posts I've read are total BS talking about 15000 baht. That is peanuts in real international system here where even lowest qualified forang teacher gets at least 60-80,000 baht a month in Bangkok and elsewhere at least 60,000 and many can earn 150,000 in top international schools. The thai assistants however are lucky if they get 15,000-20,000 and to be honest most of them aren't worth any more in my experience of having sent our 2 kids to several schools here including bi-lingual thai private and good international schools. I know friends who think 400,000 a year fees are crazy but international schools we've sent our kids have in each class properly qualified forang teachers or if not ones with many years forang experience. Amongst other things I'm a fully qualifies teacher but know that does not make a good teacher. Problem is most Thai teachers (except at some of very top) dont teach children to question and dont understand

" even lowest qualified forang teacher gets at least 60-80,000 baht a month" hahahahahah.

Please see here: http://www.ajarn.com/

A quick look confirms that the only salary of less than 20,000, which is more than the 15,000 Thai teachers allegedly make, is for Fillipino teachers. I have yet to see a salary on there of less than 20,000 for farang teachers. However, icare999 was referring to international school salaries, which are not advertised nearly as much as government/private schools on that site, and his estimates are correct.

OMG- I have just responded to an obvious troll. Why the hell did I do that?

A westerner working in a government school (primary and secondary school) have about 20-40,000 depending on the school (more in the city and less out in a small village), qualifications and experience. .

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

it is sad how the children and lower class are treated in this country...''THAILAND NEEDS A COMPLETE MAKEOVER''...starting with the education system...the goal of the ciriculum is to teach them a few national songs a few proverbs,everything about the monarchy, and don't forget to say ''crap or ka''....then they go out in the world...sawadee no crap

Have you ever read the Thai curriculum. From your comments I would say no.Just comment on something without any idea what you are talking about.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

At our (private) school, Thai teachers haven't had a summer holiday for years, not even a day. Now, they are being told they must work weekends as well until the start of the new semester (through summer).

But the farang teachers don't? Why not? Is it because they have complained in the past and the management knows they can't strongarm them?

Just a guess, but if that is correct, it goes to show that, if you don't complain about something and just accept it, you deserve to have to put up with it. Thai teachers like this don't get much sympathy from me on this matter, as they won't do anything to change it. Sounds like your school's teachers have to do work for work's sake, probably to fulfill some management power trip, and are completely whipped; harsh, but if you don't stick up for yourself, what do you expect?

It's not just about them, either; the stress they let themselves be put under probably affects their performance and reduces their effectiveness in the classroom, and the students often don't want to do these after school/weekend/summer course extra-curricular activities and complain of being tired/bored. (It must be said, though, that many of the Thai teachers I know do actually get paid for extra work; off the official books, of course).

Well two things

1 Foreign teachers get more money

2 You have no idea of Thai culture just another Farong with why don't they do it like they do in my country menttality.

I agree. He's totally clueless.

This is exactly why government school is the best, as it strictly follow Prayuth 12 core Thainese value.

Thai government school now even have Farang teacher.

Not sure if they managed to get the full 15,000 Baht / month or not.

not having a go at you but honestly all posts I've read are total BS talking about 15000 baht. That is peanuts in real international system here where even lowest qualified forang teacher gets at least 60-80,000 baht a month in Bangkok and elsewhere at least 60,000 and many can earn 150,000 in top international schools. The thai assistants however are lucky if they get 15,000-20,000 and to be honest most of them aren't worth any more in my experience of having sent our 2 kids to several schools here including bi-lingual thai private and good international schools. I know friends who think 400,000 a year fees are crazy but international schools we've sent our kids have in each class properly qualified forang teachers or if not ones with many years forang experience. Amongst other things I'm a fully qualifies teacher but know that does not make a good teacher. Problem is most Thai teachers (except at some of very top) dont teach children to question and dont understand

" even lowest qualified forang teacher gets at least 60-80,000 baht a month" hahahahahah.

Please see here: http://www.ajarn.com/

A quick look confirms that the only salary of less than 20,000, which is more than the 15,000 Thai teachers allegedly make, is for Fillipino teachers. I have yet to see a salary on there of less than 20,000 for farang teachers. However, icare999 was referring to international school salaries, which are not advertised nearly as much as government/private schools on that site, and his estimates are correct.

Probably because you are one yourself. You have talked enough nonsense on this thread to be considered a troll.

Probably because you are one yourself. You have talked enough nonsense on this thread to be considered a troll.

Ummm... How is anything I said above incorrect? In fact, everything I have said on this thread is correct, or at least debatable, from experience. I would assume you know absolutely nothing about what you are talking about. "Nonsense", indeed. Tell me what I have said which is nonsense, then.

Ummm... How is anything I said above incorrect? In fact, everything I have said on this thread is correct, or at least debatable, from experience. I would assume you know absolutely nothing about what you are talking about. "Nonsense", indeed. Tell me what I have said which is nonsense, then.

On second thoughts, I have just realized, somewhat belatedly, that I replied to a troll again. Fool me twice...

But the farang teachers don't? Why not? Is it because they have complained in the past and the management knows they can't strongarm them?

Just a guess, but if that is correct, it goes to show that, if you don't complain about something and just accept it, you deserve to have to put up with it. Thai teachers like this don't get much sympathy from me on this matter, as they won't do anything to change it. Sounds like your school's teachers have to do work for work's sake, probably to fulfill some management power trip, and are completely whipped; harsh, but if you don't stick up for yourself, what do you expect?

It's not just about them, either; the stress they let themselves be put under probably affects their performance and reduces their effectiveness in the classroom, and the students often don't want to do these after school/weekend/summer course extra-curricular activities and complain of being tired/bored. (It must be said, though, that many of the Thai teachers I know do actually get paid for extra work; off the official books, of course).

Because they know we won't do it or just leave.

Many of the Thai teachers have worked their way up from 10k to 15k plus and if they leave to go to another school, they will probably drop down to around the 10k mark again. For farang the drop would not be so much.

Also, we are very short stocked of young non-backpacker NES teachers with degrees and teaching certificates here in this part of Isaan, so the school has to play more carefully with us.

The last time they tried something like that one of our western teachers, he came in with the Thai Labour Law in his hand and said, " No way!". But Thainess comes before law and their rights. They will do as each other do. If one teacher doesn't do as the rest of them, they will be hated and shunned. Us farang here try to adopt that attitude also and we are willing to put up with so much to keep harmonious with our Thai colleagues. For example, if they ask us to do one or two Saturdays per year without extra pay, we do. But they can only go so far with us.

Another thing is, every school has pros and cons. Our school pays a little better (for Thai teachers) than others. Our class sizes are below 20 students and there is little pressure. Also, a decent discount for teachers kids to study here. But things are changing for the worse. It will be interesting to see how long they can continue treating the staff this way. Most of the Thais are probably hoping it will go back to normal (i.e weekends and summers holidays again). And other schools treat their staff badly too (e.g forced "donations", cutting pay, and other kind of unfair treatment). So the Thai, as well as westerners have to weight up the pros and cons. I know we complain less that other teachers round about these parts.

Well two things

2 You have no idea of Thai culture just another Farong with why don't they do it like they do in my country menttality.

1. More money, in the short term, but depends on the type of school, the individual school, the seniority of the teachers, the relationships the teachers may or may not have to the management etc. Long term, maybe not- knew a perfectly ordinary old teacher in a relatively rural school on 82,000 bath/mth base salary (saw the contract with this in). How you play the game, maybe. Not to mention benefits and "perks". Not everyone is on less than 15,000 baht a month, you know.

2. I do know of the reluctance to unionize and the cultural/political reasons why, and I disagree with them, at least in some cases such as this, where obviously it would do some good- sometimes change isn't a bad thing. They do it in many other countries, not just my own. Not even saying unionize, just stick up for yourself en masse on occasion, if you are in a ridiculous situation such as one described in the post I commented on. Give it a go, at least? Up to them.

Do you know more than Thai culture than me? I'm not saying you don't, because I don't know who you are, but how are you so sure of my knowledge on it? Even so, I can know about it and, at the same time, not agree with it...

Well maybe you do know about Thai culture more than I do. You just don't accept it. You want it to be like it is in your country. I accept it even at times when it is illogical to my western mind. I have been here long enough to know that it is changing on it's own merit and speed. I recently had to buy my two Thai Granddaughters a new computer and printer for school. That was unheard of when I first started visiting Thailand 9 years ago. I know enough about Thai culture that trying to impose change on it from an outsider will not help. Accept it and do what you can to help change it when you see the chance.

As for the first statement could be I was replying to one posters school policy. I have no idea of the other schools.

• Like 1

They charge huge fees and pay the teachers peanuts

This article is about PRIVATE not INTERNATIONAL schools. Fees in Bangkok are around 25 to 40 000 a term (same calendar as government schools so only 2 terms) Hardly HUGE fees as you describe.

International schools on the other hand start with a registration fee of around 50 000 and then you start paying...

In Sri Racha's Dara Samutr PRIVATE School, NOT International School registration fee is 45,000 "and then you start paying". Seems that chooka is spot on re HUGE fees. Assumption Private School fees are even higher.

School ends at 3.30 but if you pay more children can stay until 5.00 to "learn more". In fact they do their homework supervised. How is this "learning more"?

The article mentions that government are prepared to pay 100% of the fees. Hmmmm maybe they actually do pay 100% and the private schools add a bit more on top.

Over 3,000 pupils at Dara Samutr with 30 to 40 pupils in each class. Seems like a very good business to me.

1st hand experience.

Edited by hugh2121

Well two things

1. More money, in the short term, but depends on the type of school, the individual school, the seniority of the teachers, the relationships the teachers may or may not have to the management etc. Long term, maybe not- knew a perfectly ordinary old teacher in a relatively rural school on 82,000 bath/mth base salary (saw the contract with this in). How you play the game, maybe. Not to mention benefits and "perks". Not everyone is on less than 15,000 baht a month, you know.

2. I do know of the reluctance to unionize and the cultural/political reasons why, and I disagree with them, at least in some cases such as this, where obviously it would do some good- sometimes change isn't a bad thing. They do it in many other countries, not just my own. Not even saying unionize, just stick up for yourself en masse on occasion, if you are in a ridiculous situation such as one described in the post I commented on. Give it a go, at least? Up to them.

Do you know more than Thai culture than me? I'm not saying you don't, because I don't know who you are, but how are you so sure of my knowledge on it? Even so, I can know about it and, at the same time, not agree with it...

Well maybe you do know about Thai culture more than I do. You just don't accept it. You want it to be like it is in your country. I accept it even at times when it is illogical to my western mind. I have been here long enough to know that it is changing on it's own merit and speed. I recently had to buy my two Thai Granddaughters a new computer and printer for school. That was unheard of when I first started visiting Thailand 9 years ago. I know enough about Thai culture that trying to impose change on it from an outsider will not help. Accept it and do what you can to help change it when you see the chance.

As for the first statement could be I was replying to one posters school policy. I have no idea of the other schools.

I will deal with your final statement first- you used language which indicated a generalization ("foreign teachers get more money"), which seems to negate your "could be". The other part- I know nothing of Thai culture- was an assumption, which you have climbed down and gone sideways from, even though the rephrasal is also an assumption..

You might not believe me, but I agree with you about not imposing change. Some questions-

1. Why did you have to pay for the computer? Presumably kindness, but...

2. By paying for the computer, why should the government/Ministry of Education feel they have to pay for anything? This allows them to ignore their responsibilty.

You can obviously disagree, but isn't buying the computer for the school, not your own granddaughters, foreign interference? I'm not trying to have a go, but as I said, I agree with you- it is the job of Thailand and Thai people to change things if they want to.

I don't want to change Thailand any more than they want to change it themselves. If they didn't want to change, for instance, workers rights, why do they have all of the employment laws and courts that they have, and have had for a while? A cynic might say it was to pay lip service to modernization, for whatever reason. YMMV.

However, is protecting the rights of workers anti-Thai culture? Is speaking up against injustice and other problems, in itself, anti-Thai culture? I would say no. Recent years (and even decades before then) have shown that Thais do not not accept some things now that were unquestioned before. This is more and more prevelant, and is not necessarily due to foreign interference.

I am not, as some dubious personage suggested, a troll. However, every way of behaving that I suggested the teachers of the affected school use has already been used in Thailand, by Thai people, before, to varying degrees of success. It is true that I would like Thailand to change in many areas, but they are actually changing in many of these areas by themselves (over years, sure, but change is evident).

If it's what they want, it has nothing to do with me- it is just that a lot of what I want happens to correspond with a lot of what they appear to be moving toward, of their own volition...

it is sad how the children and lower class are treated in this country...''THAILAND NEEDS A COMPLETE MAKEOVER''...starting with the education system...the goal of the ciriculum is to teach them a few national songs a few proverbs,everything about the monarchy, and don't forget to say ''crap or ka''....then they go out in the world...sawadee no crap

Have you ever read the Thai curriculum. From your comments I would say no.Just comment on something without any idea what you are talking about.

Whats in the curriculum & what is actually taught in Thailand is 2 totally different things from what my step daughter has said about her schooling & her friends schooling down near Trang, Mok199 is correct in everything he said.

Whats in the curriculum & what is actually taught in Thailand is 2 totally different things from what my step daughter has said about her schooling & her friends schooling down near Trang, Mok199 is correct in everything he said.

So they have told you nothing about the maths, science, social and all the other subjects they have to learn. Do you really believe that 40 hours a week is spent on what Trang Mok199 said. I would suggest that you should take an active role in what your stepdaughter is studying at school. You might be surprised.

• 1 month later...

I have never seen.

So many.

Paragraphs in one.

Article.

My kids go to a bilingual school in Khon Kaen and that school is on a huge pilot of land as well. I have always thought it would be worth upwards of 20 million baht, but when ASEAN comes it will be worth a lot more. At least they are getting "dividends" on it in the form of student fees until they do eventually sell.

Just shocking the way teachers are treated in Thailand. My son goes to a private thai school. It costs 100,000 baht per year. 20 kids. 2 million per year.

3 classes. 6 million per year.

The teachers are paid around 150,000 per year.

6 teachers 900,000 per year.

Add in a few expenses guards and stuff. 600,000.

1500,000 per year.

Cool profit 4 million.

Times that 6 grades

24 million. Add on kindergarten

12 million.

36 million per year.

Add to that government subsidies and grants. (Unknown )

36 million all tax free.

His school is very small. In the bigger schools, you can quadruple that.

The teachers work 10 to 12 hour days. They must also work week ends (unpaid) there used to be 2 teachers for 40 kids. Now it is 1. Most of the classes now also have at least one handicapped child with no special helper. The teachers are now required to contact teach 25 hours per week. All prep time and marking is done unpaid on their own time. And they can forget about lunch breaks.they can forget about holidays too. During that time they must do maintenance around the school, order books, get the uniforms done, have meetings, have more meetings and have more meetings . The teachers are exhausted. .the kindergartens used to have 3 or 4 assistants . Now the teacher is lucky to get 1. To help care for 40 kids. The private schools hire non qualified teachers at very low pay. Then force them to study for a degree at teachers own cost. Then force them out by making difficult work conditions, so they can hire another low pay person.

The parents pay. The teachers are dedicated. The kids want to learn.

The directors are cheating them all and making huge profits.

Absolutely shocking.

They charge huge fees and pay the teachers peanuts

I agree and speak from 10 years experience at a private school in Bangkok but I am speaking about Thai teachers here not farang. The hours they have to do is also horrendous. Its easy to say they dont have to accept it but they do as there is little alternative. Like most Thais many are in debt and have no choice but to take what they are offered. Many of the teachers at the school I worked had also taken out "cheap" car loans offered by the MOE which kept them trapped in the job. Thai teachers have my full sympathy.

Anyone with a degree that is expected to work for 15,000 THB a month has my sympathy.

This country needs to start paying people a more reasonable wage. A teacher with a degree should be worth 50,000 at least.

No, they should not. You can get a degree in English in Thailand without knowing even basic conversation in the language. How are you supposed to teach???

I have never seen.

So many.

Paragraphs in one.

Article.

My kids go to a bilingual school in Khon Kaen and that school is on a huge pilot of land as well. I have always thought it would be worth upwards of 20 million baht, but when ASEAN comes it will be worth a lot more. At least they are getting "dividends" on it in the form of student fees until they do eventually sell.

That plot if its the school I am thinking of is a legacy of 97. Thats how long its been around.

My Thai grandson who speaks native English, was this week called to front of the class and thanked by his American teacher for helping him during his classes during this last year, in translating to his fellow pupils what the teacher was trying to put across.He also commented that some of his fellow Thai teachers, teaching English were teaching children what they thought was English but having a completely different meaning.It must be very frustrating for him, and other teachers to witness this and be unable to correct it.