Public, media can watch Thai charter drafters at work

webfact

Public, media can watch charter drafters at work
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The public would be allowed to observe the drafting of the new constitution and the media would be allowed to broadcast portions of the event, the leader of the Constitution Drafting Committee has said.

Borwornsak Uwanno, chairman of the CDC, said the media, the National Reform Council, National Legislative Assembly, foreign diplomats and members of the public could observe the writing of the charter by article, starting today. The first

chapter of the charter features the monarchy and the people.

The media would be allowed to take video and photographs during the initial period, after which they could only observe. They would be banned from recording sessions live or reporting live what was said during the meetings.

During the drafting, the charter writers would be allowed to do alterations to the draft but must follow regulations on amendments and submit their drafts to the CDC within three days, he said. They must stage reasons for any amendment, which must not violate basic principles of the related chapter of the charter.

CDC's drafting panel spokesman Lt General Nawin Damrikan said the charter drafters should look at the whole picture of the charter before proposing amendments in any provision. He said the factors they should look at were if the draft responds to public demands and its national and international context, especially the integration into the Asean economic community at the end of this year.

He said the charter should also be a "living" one, meaning it should project visions, strategies and guidelines for a government to pass on to the next government.

He said the CDC had 90 days to draft the whole charter excluding the weekends. In order to finish the work on time, charter writers must write four articles a day.

He said public hearings and feedback on each provision were vital for public participation and consensus.

A source said Borwornsak had instructed Jade Donavanik, who heads the panel, to write organic laws that ensure Cabinet performs its duties with good governance, ethics, and following the code of conduct.

Jade had said previous governments failed to follow good governance and ran their administrations with conflicts of interest. Although there were regulations on ethics and code of conduct for political office holders, the law lacked teeth to punish wrongdoers. He said appointments of political officer holders, such as assistant ministers, had not been done according to directives and this had led to demands for kickback payments and malfeasance in the past.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Public-media-can-watch-charter-drafters-at-work-30251710.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-12

There can be nothing more exciting and educational than watching a bunch of entitled Thai drafting a charter that will have no enforcement behind it, merely the same as all other feeble attempts. I plan to schedule my day around any live sessions that may be available for viewing.

That said, it's pretty revealing when they say that none of the broadcasts can be live since it is not polite to watch people sleeping or behaving poorly. But, we all know that even the entitled elite must put on a good show from time to time.

• Like 2

Below is a whopper of a caviat.

"During the drafting, the charter writers would be allowed to do alterations to the draft but must follow regulations on amendments and submit their drafts to the CDC within three days, he said. They must stage reasons for any amendment, which must not violate basic principles of the related chapter of the charter. CDC's drafting panel spokesman Lt General Nawin Damrikan said the charter drafters should look at the whole picture of the charter before proposing amendments in any provision."

So....they only have three days to post amendments to specific setions and ALSO should wait until the whole draft is done to submit amendments, (which will be after any deadline set)?blink.png

Edited by FangFerang

The public would be allowed to observe the drafting of the new constitution and the media would be allowed to broadcast portions of the event,

Does that mean the public will now be able to observe the NCPO meetings?

No, the topic clearly mentions "CDC's drafting panel" only rolleyes.gif

BTW, even former PM Somchai is confident. He was quoted as saying

"He continued, "In my opinion, the ongoing drafting of the new constitution has help from many respectable experts. Bowornsak Uwanno [chairman of the Constitution Drafting Committee] is respected and accepted by the people. So, I strongly believe that the new charter will be impartial, universal, and accepted by both Thais and foreigners.""

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/791251-former-thai-pm-somchai-confident-in-govts-new-charter/

Edited by rubl

The public would be allowed to observe the drafting of the new constitution and the media would be allowed to broadcast portions of the event,

"He continued, "In my opinion, the ongoing drafting of the new constitution has help from many respectable experts. Bowornsak Uwanno [chairman of the Constitution Drafting Committee] is respected and accepted by the people. So, I strongly believe that the new charter will be impartial, universal, and accepted by both Thais and foreigners.""

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/791251-former-thai-pm-somchai-confident-in-govts-new-charter/

Didn't you write this in the other thread (first option referring to appease the junta during the impeachment process):

Being cynical I also suspect it's an insincere first option. The third of being serious even you don't believe. The second option is in line with the non-obstruction by non-cooperating as Thaksin told his party and UDD to give the NLA a chance, but then all know it's not about Thaksin.

So, lying through their teeth as usual comes to mind.

Time for Thai to learn self-entitlement and self-reliance.

Didn't you write this in the other thread (first option referring to appease the junta during the impeachment process):

Being cynical I also suspect it's an insincere first option. The third of being serious even you don't believe. The second option is in line with the non-obstruction by non-cooperating as Thaksin told his party and UDD to give the NLA a chance, but then all know it's not about Thaksin.

I did, I did, my dear chap. I said Somchai seemed insincere as you seem confused only.

Now back the the CDC.

Edited by rubl

I did, I did, my dear chap. I said Somchai seemed insincere as you seem confused only.

Now back the the CDC.

I was confused because "confident" is a direct contradiction to "insincere".

If I was cynical, I would say you tailor your responses specifically to be contrarian :)

So, lying through their teeth as usual comes to mind.Time for Thai to learn self-entitlement and self-reliance.

Now back the the CDC.

I was confused because "confident" is a direct contradiction to "insincere".

If I was cynical, I would say you tailor your responses specifically to be contrarian smile.png

Contrarian? No, just showing how easy it is for some to state without feeling either a need to prove or explain. But I hope that at least you now understand that the topic is on CDC meetings which can be watched under some conditions, not NCPO meetings thumbsup.gif

Of course I understand that, but I guess you missed my attempt to point out where the real decisions are being made.

Oh, you mean when the CDC has drafted it's final version and the NCPO has to rubber stamp it?

Not trying to be a smartie, but what was wrong with the last one? Where did that one fall short for the country?

I can see Rubi is pointing out this is the CDC's big day but the strings are attached to the puppeteers of the NCPO? And the NCPO boys had a big hand in the 2007 Constitution.

Sounds like they should just call it Daffodil Day as it won't even be a good puppet show.

Is this the constitution to end all constitution'?