leaving thailand on thai pp and reentering on british

I have just discovered a problem with my sons Thai PP.

His previous two Thai passports were issued in the UK and had correctly inserted his middle name as Proma - as stated on his British birth certificate. (he was bornin the UK)

However his most recent Thai passport and Thai ID card have written the name as Promma - adding an extra M. I understand that this is somthing to do with the way thai is translated and prounced.

Here goes the problem: We are leaving Thailand in a couple of months and the tickets have been issued in the correct - according to what is on his english birth cert. - name Proma (one M)

so this is ok at check in (with UK passport) as the his UK passport is the same name as the tickets. however when we go to immigration his middle name in the thai passport is Promma and the boarding pass will say proma (one m)

My idea is to make a short trip to Penang or some other near by country, within 30 days of our planned trip to the UK, so he can leave on his thai passport and then re enter thailand on his UK passport thus making his UK passport ok to leave thailand for the UK.

any ideas greatly appreciated

Edited by jonesthebaker

You have a couple of months left...

Probably changing or fixing this mess at the local Amphoe (district office) would be an option?

Even if a formal change of his middle name in Thai script would be necessary,

As far as I know its not a big deal and done for a small fee.

He could then get a new Thai ID card with the matching middle name and you would have to apply for a new passport.

Who translated the British birth certificate?

Unfortunately: I guess that both transcripts do not follow proper rules.

Its not desired in this forum to write Thai script, but I guess it would correctly transcribe as "phonha" rolleyes.gif

Maybe you can consult your wife about it.

Can you PM me with the Thai script?

I have no idea how strict the immigration / airline boarding would check that middle name.... whistling.gif

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

You have a couple of months left...

Probably changing or fixing this mess at the local Amphoe (district office) would be an option?

Even if a formal change of his middle name in Thai script would be necessary,

As far as I know its not a big deal and done for a small fee.

He could then get a new Thai ID card with the matching middle name and you would have to apply for a new passport.

Who translated the British birth certificate?

the British birth cert was originaly translated by theThai Embassy in London. And although it is translated as having the sound of two M's they issued his fisrt thai passport as it should be - as written on his British birth Cert and passport - with one M.

The problem goes back to when his second Thai passport was issued her in thailand. the decided that the birth cert read as two Ms and thus added the extra M although it was obvious from the existing (previous) passport that it was written as only one M.

as far as they are concerned it was the thai embassy in london that made the mistake and they have simply corrected it.

thats why i think it would be easier to leave on his thai and re enter on his british ??

Edited by jonesthebaker

thats why i think it would be easier to leave on his thai and re enter on his british ??

At the airline checkin you have to present the UK passport. Otherwise they would not let you board (no UK visa in the Thai passport).

But at the Thai immigration you must not show the UK passport (no entry stamp or visa for Thailand in the UK passport).

Entering the UK on UK passport of course.

The topic of two passports has been discussed in various threads.

The confusion of transcriptions is a well known mess. Three different script for the family name at our crowd (...jan. ...chan, ... chans) blink.png

Edited by KhunBENQ

At the airline checkin you have to present the UK passport. Otherwise they would not let you board (no UK visa in the Thai passport).

But at the Thai immigration you must not show the UK passport (no entry stamp or visa for Thailand in the UK passport).

Entering the UK on UK passport of course.

The topic of two passports has been discussed in various topics.

The confusion of transcriptions is a well known mess. Three different script for the family name at our crowd (...jan. ...chan, ... chans) blink.png

so i'm not alone :)

so i get that. i show his british PP's to check in which corresponds exactly with name on ticket. (Proma - one M). then i go to immigration and show thai passport (middle name Promma - two Ms)

so my question is: would the immigrtion officer see the discrepency from the name on the boarding pass (middle name Proma - one M) to the name on his Thai passport ( middle name Promma two M's) ?

Edited by jonesthebaker

I don't think they pay that much attention to the name on a boarding pass. A minor misspelling should not be a problem at all.

I don't recall any of my flight tickets ever showing my middle name. Normally that is optional.

I don't recall any of my flight tickets ever showing my middle name. Normally that is optional.

I use my middle name only on immigration forms.

Never used on a flight booking.

(in my country it is unusual to have/use a middle name/second name anyway)

Now you know what to do on the next booking tongue.png

Edited by KhunBENQ

I think you are worring too much. I've got two middle names in my Thai passport. Only one in my Australian passport.

My mother still uses her Thai maiden name in her Thai passport despite being married 40++ years and her very anglo-irish surname in her Australian passport.

Having differing names isn't an issue so long as one of the passports matches. A small error is no big deal. No need to do a passport swap because of it.

• Like 1

My son has Thai and Australian passports, both issued in Australia. The Thai embassy in Sydney got his birthday wrong on his 2nd Thai passport. We rang them, and they told us not to worry about it until we got back from Thailand (after several months). We left Australia on his Aust passport and entered Thailand on his Thai passport, which had a different birthday to his original Thai passport and his Australian passport.

We expected a shit-fight on arrival at Swampy; but no, in typical Thai style we told them what happened and they let us in without delay. Looking back, what else could they do? Let Mum and Dad in, and deport a Thai minor back to Australia on his own?

Don't worry about it...

Thanks for all of the usefull and encouraging advice. After i made the OP i had my wife call the passport office and explain the situation. They asked us to come back in to the office. To cut the story short. After a lot of they will change it - they can't change it - moments. The head guy decided in our favour and agreed to issue a new Thai PP with the same spelling as the British PP smile.png

We had to cancel the passport applied for this morning as it was already being processed. Then apply and pay for a new one. So fingers crossed, job done.

My real concern was that a sharp eyed immigration officer would make an issue out off the discrepency on the name of the boarding pass and the Thai passport. Although from what i gather from above posts it wouldnt have really been an issue.

Edited by jonesthebaker
  • Like 1