Worth it: 92 flights at Don Mueang delayed for kids to watch planes fly

webfact

Worth it: 92 flights at Don Mueang delayed for kids to watch planes fly
By Coconuts Bangkok

donm.jpg

Lesson learned: Don’t book a flight on the day a bunch of kids take over the airport.

BANGKOK: -- Ninety-two flights were reportedly delayed between 20 minutes to three hours on Saturday as the sky above the airport was restricted for a military air show on Children’s Day.

"Many airlines could not answer how long the planes would be delayed!” raged celebrity fortune-teller Lak Rekanithet on Facebook. “This has affected thousands of passengers!"

Lak shared photos of a crowded Don Mueang airport where fliers faced delays of up to three hours and complained there was no prior notification.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2015/01/12/worth-it-92-flights-don-mueang-delayed-kids-watch-planes-fly

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-01-12

"Many airlines could not answer how long the planes would be delayed!” raged celebrity fortune-teller Lak Rekanithet on Facebook."

He didn't see it coming? Some fortune teller... whistling.gif

Exactly!!

He of all persons should keep his mouth shut.......................rolleyes.gif

It seems to me ( and yes I was a big mouth supporter PREVIOUSLY) that htis NEW government SPOKE ALL THE RIGHT THINGS and it seemed so great and all they are doing now is setting Thaialnd back CENTURIES into the days Of European Feudalism.

Foreigners are getting tossed off at every point and he says YOU ARE WELCOME TO VISIT THAILAND.

This place is more and more a joke day by day.

This, along with the drop in tourism numbers is certainly going to bode well for RETURNING tourists hahahah

Shoot yourself in the foot and eventually you lose heaps and we ill get cheaper prices. Because Thailand is heading to a banana economy!

• Like 2

"Many airlines could not answer how long the planes would be delayed!” raged celebrity fortune-teller Lak Rekanithet"

Isn't that your role in society?

Actually Khun Lak made a rather accurate "prediction" when he "foretold" his fellow travellers that today they will be unlucky in terms of their travels. He also correctly predicted that a man of tall to medium height, possibly wearing a uniform, will eventually rectify the travellers' misfortune. blink.png

Edited by Morakot

Went there with my kid. He had a blast.

Apparently it's been like that every year for the past decade, so I don't know why the airlines can't figure it out.

It probably was not much of an issue until last year, since traffic has almost quadrupled in 2014 from 2012 numbers.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Mueang_International_Airport

• Like 1

Lesson learned: Don’t book a flight on the day a bunch of kids take over the airport.

Are they referring to children's day or to yellow shirts?

IQ wise it wouldn't make much of a difference!!

Sorry childrenwai2.gifwai2.gif

• Like 1

I took a flight up to Chiang Mai on Friday leaving from Don Muang. They were practicing pretty much all day and my flight was delayed for 2 hours!

It was pretty much chaos in the terminal, barely any room to move around or sit. And no real updates from the airlines, was just told to watch the displays to see what gate to use and if flight was delayed. I guess is what happens when you pay for budget. To make things even worse, Air Asia kept on moving gates for each flight making it more chaotic.

On top of that because of the delays, when we got to Chiang Mai there was another 2 hour wait at the airport just to get a taxi, as most of the flights for DM arrived within 5-10 mins of each other.

You would think there should've have been better planning for this, I for one won't be flying budget anymore.

Perhaps when they receive the delay bill for connecting flights, loss of slot times at other airports and placing flight crews on longer hours ,they may decide next year to take the kids and do it in China, immature and inappropriate for any major airport to even think of this sort of stupidness. bah.gif

• Like 1

A couple of thoughts on this...

"No prior notification" This is Thailand, we live for the moment and never plan ahead.

It is kind of nice to make children the priority, but this is entertainment.

If you can delay so many flights for the sake of entertainment, why can't they delay flights twice a year ( New Years and Songkran ) for , the sake of passenger safety?

They have expressed much concern lately about the danger of a hot air balloon causing a jet to crashand it hasn't happened yet

Even when prohibited, all Thais will not stop launching balloons on these holidays.

It makes sense not to fly on these occasions and only at night when the balloons are launched..

If you can do it for fun, why not do it to save lives too?

There could be ample prior notification too!

Edited by willyumiii

I hear next years children's day is going to be at Swampy. Its supposed to be even a better cockup show than this years disaster event.

Does the Thai Air Force have an airport not attached to an international airport sending and receiving scheduled flights?

Nothing new here. I recall about 4-5 years ago being held up on an incoming to SVG on Thai Airways on Jan 10 - stacked over BKK for more than one hour - flight deck told us it was because there "was an air show at the airport for children's day". Could see many other planes in the stack above and below us. TIT. It's good for the environment............