Why motorhomes are not popular in Thailand?

umbanda

Seems to me that most Thai likes to tour its country, and it is very common to see buses and van with groups and families from far away provinces on the roads. With so much public parks and camping spots around, I wonder why it is very rare to see a motorhome around. I had one in the US, and I will have one here if was easy and cheapy to get. Probably will be very expensive because not second hands on the market, but may be a good market to start a motorhomes production. Or not?

Edited by umbanda

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have thought the same thing but came to a very simple answer - Cost.

It's much cheaper to stay at the numerous hotels / guest houses etc around the country....

Import taxes on such vehicles would price them out of the market.

If there were some made locally (of decent quality) the rental would have to compete with hotels etc...

Up country, hotels and guest houses are very cheap (i.e. commonly less than 1000 baht per night for something quite reasonable)... the motorhome rental can not compete with this....

KHAO YAI: -- A bull elephant stressed out because he can’t get laid took his frustrations out on the vexing vehicles swarming his domain Saturday.

Maybe the Thai know more than the farang in this case. Maybe they think the mobile home looks too much like a big elephant. Not much fun sleeping in your mobile home as it is being bounced around outside. cheesy.gif

I saw one today with a Japanese number plate driving along Sukhumvit in Chonburi.

Richard Smith is right. They don't make them here so they would need to be imported at exhorbitant cost. Protectionism strikes again.

Too expensive...Cheaper to get 3 sheets of tin and a Bamboo pole...throw it in the ute and head off down the "Highway to Hell"...

Jeez that sounds familiar ! biggrin.png....hey bloke, pass the plonk...cheesy.gif

Edited by weegee

As pointed out, problem with theft/robberies (locals wouldn't feel safe doing it) and the many cheap hotels around anyway, while most Thais tend to go on short sojourns as opposed to touring. There is also not the infrastructure of decent campgrounds with the right facilities here, but the biggie that people are forgetting is FACE... i.e. no self-respecting Thai would suffer the ignominy of bunking down in an oversized 'van' on or near the road or in a field. whistling.gif

Another reason motorhomes would not be popular IMO is that apart from in cool season up north being stuck in a metal box all night would need aircon and you would need to run the engine all night to power the air.

Carryboy do make a motorhome baised on a pickup but not popular for the reasons stated.

cheers

post-57474-0-19470200-1421062891_thumb.j

Have you ever driven over half the roads here? best of luck in a large motorhomesmile.png

All those touring busses with groups and families will be heading for hotels and resorts at the end of the day. No nice caravan parks with all facilities to pull into. The infrastucture just is'nt here.

I have thought the same thing but came to a very simple answer - Cost.

It's much cheaper to stay at the numerous hotels / guest houses etc around the country....

Import taxes on such vehicles would price them out of the market.

If there were some made locally (of decent quality) the rental would have to compete with hotels etc...

Up country, hotels and guest houses are very cheap (i.e. commonly less than 1000 baht per night for something quite reasonable)... the motorhome rental can not compete with this....

In any case, who would be game enough to hire an expensive camper van out to any 'Somchai' who is interested. It would probably be smashed up within months.

I know plenty of Thai's in 4x4 clubs that just love to get off the beaten track and set up a tent for the night.

Motohomes are for grey nomads or for those too lazy to camp properly.

Edited by Don Mega

Another reason motorhomes would not be popular IMO is that apart from in cool season up north being stuck in a metal box all night would need aircon and you would need to run the engine all night to power the air.

Carryboy do make a motorhome baised on a pickup but not popular for the reasons stated.

cheers

attachicon.gifmotorshow2010_048.jpg

If you ever go to Australia, go to Queensland. When the cold winter hits the southern states, Queensland is full of "Grey Nomads" in their motor homes fleeing north for the hotter climate. In fact, many retirees rent out their homes for a couple of years and trip around oz for the period. So learn something and forget the "metal box" syndrome. rolleyes.gif

In the US we had thousands of beautiful camping areas. Many were on State land and very well maintained. Land was not the major issue so each site normally had lots of room so you were not on top of you neighbor. Camp fires, fishing, hiking .. Etc. great fun for the entire family.

Thailand has many camping areas but they are all for profit and tents are almost on top of each other. I mean one meter apart ! They are also not so cheap. A tent with 2 sleeping bags can set you back 500 to 1000 baht. Mobile campers or vans also just would not have many places to go that would be worth the effort. In the north around Chiang Rai the roads have so many twists and turns and mountains that traveling would be almost impossible in many areas.