New Numbers To Cell Phones

mumbojumbo

I'm also confused in some ways.

This is how I understand it from news reports:

Sep. 01 '06 mobile numbers will change to 10 digits (an additional '8' after the initial '0') but apparently this only applies to calls from mobile to mobile and mobile to land line. Does this mean you have to use the ten digits when calling a land line from mobile?

What do I have to dial when calling a mobile number from a landline (9 or 10 digits)?????

It is my understanding that both (9 and 10 digit) systems will be operational until Nov.30,'06 to give us time to update our SIM cards, is this correct?

Why can't they change the entire system (mobile and land lines) to ten digits?

It looks like now we have to give people two numbers: 'if you call me from a land line use this number, from a mobile line call that number'............. and what do people have to dial from abroad?

opalhort

According to everything that's been published to date, along with the several threads here, everyone expects the new 10-digit dialing plan for mobile phones to be implemented on 1 Sep. 2006 at 00:01.

Only your mobile phone number will change. If people want to call you then they should use the new 10-digit number. It doesn't matter if they're calling you from another mobile, a land-line or a tin-can/string.

A grace period, until 30 November 2006, has been mentioned. However it is unclear if this will be extended to all calling parties regardless of location. I've seen mention of this definitely applying to in-bound international calls. Usually when such a change is implemented, the calling party is reminded of the change with a recording, and then the call is completed, during the grace period. Given that my call-completion percentages hover around 10% (One-2-Call/Pre-paid, 16:00 - 22:00 are the trouble times for me) I'd be pleasantly if my calls would go through, dialed with either 9- or 10-digits, but expect to see "Network Busy" or "Error in Connection" even more as of 1 Sep.

Thye are not running out of fixed lines so no need for a change there.

From outside Thailand they would dial +66 8 5 555 1212 as of 1 Sep., if you're mobile number were 05 555 1212, or 085 555 1212 as of 1 Sep.

Edited by lomatopo

Given that my call-completion percentages hover around 10% (One-2-Call/Pre-paid, 16:00 - 22:00 are the trouble times for me) I'd be pleasantly if my calls would go through, dialed with either 9- or 10-digits, but expect to see "Network Busy" or "Error in Connection" even more as of 1 Sep.

Maybe not... since a lot of calls will not get through because people are dialing wrong numbers, maybe AIS network will get a break and breathe for some time :o

I'm really wondering about AIS anyway... with such a crappy service, if it were not for the unfair privileges they have over their competitors, they'd be heading for bankrupcy soon. But these are due to go away some time.

Guess this business was sold right when it was worth the most money. It might not be worth as much a in few years unless the singaporeans kick out most of the management and put able people instead.

--Lannig

I'm really wondering about AIS anyway... with such a crappy service, if it were not for the unfair privileges they have over their competitors, they'd be heading for bankrupcy soon. But these are due to go away some time.

Guess this business was sold right when it was worth the most money. It might not be worth as much a in few years unless the singaporeans kick out most of the management and put able people instead.

--Lannig

It may not take so long

(Bangkok Post) The NTC says that if Kularb Kaew, the company that indirectly owns Shin Corp, is ruled a proxy of Singapore's investment arm Temasek Holdings, it will face a criminal charge that may consequently force the closures of Shin and its businesses.
Full Story

I tried it today.

Land line to mobile, mobile to land line ( no change ) and mobile to mobile all work with the new 08

prefix right now.

No need to give out 2 sets of numbers.

I tried calling my mobile number (1-2-call) from a landline and another mobile, as well as having someone call it from the USA. Right now, only the old format works (07-xxx-xxx). The new format (087-xxx-xxxx) gives a recording "the number is not assigned".

Perhaps they are still implementing and it will be working on Sept 1.

Guest Reimar

I tried it today.

Land line to mobile, mobile to land line ( no change ) and mobile to mobile all work with the new 08

prefix right now.

I tried calling my mobile number (1-2-call) from a landline and another mobile, as well as having someone call it from the USA. Right now, only the old format works (07-xxx-xxx). The new format (087-xxx-xxxx) gives a recording "the number is not assigned".

Just tested at this moment: from a VoIP No. from CAT over the Internet the new 10 digits no. works well. If I call to anothe handy and type in the no. with the 10 digits, my handy also shows the right name which still is bundled with the old 9 digit no.

So, the system works already.

I tried it today.

prefix right now.

Mine is half and half. I can call my mobile or my wifes mobile from the TT&T landline and it works using both 9 or 10 digit number. But if we call mobile to mobile we get "number not assigned" :o:D

Sep. 01 '06 mobile numbers will change to 10 digits (an additional '8' after the initial '0') but apparently this only applies to calls from mobile to mobile and mobile to land line. Does this mean you have to use the ten digits when calling a land line from mobile?.....

Land lines are unchanged Mobile numbers are changing to add the 8 so it will be like this

Old Number -----> New Number

01 111 1111 ----> 081 111 1111

03 111 1111 ----> 083 111 1111

04 111 1111 ----> 084 111 1111

05 111 1111 ----> 085 111 1111

06 111 1111 ----> 086 111 1111

07 111 1111 ----> 087 111 1111

09 111 1111 ----> 089 111 1111

There are no 02 based mobiles as that is a fixed line range for Bangkok and the area

What do I have to dial when calling a mobile number from a landline (9 or 10 digits)?????

From September 1 to November 30 you can dial either old or new number December 1 onwards only the 10 digit number will work

It is my understanding that both (9 and 10 digit) systems will be operational until Nov.30,'06 to give us time to update our SIM cards, is this correct?

Not Really, no. Its a Changeover period so people have time to change the numbers they dial. There is no need to change your SIM.

Why can't they change the entire system (mobile and land lines) to ten digits?

They need the space for new nubers for mobiles first, fixed lines will be later

It looks like now we have to give people two numbers: 'if you call me from a land line use this number, from a mobile line call that number'............. and what do people have to dial from abroad?

opalhort

Not at all, it does not matter where the call starts from, rather where or who you are trying to call. It is the same if the call originates from a fixed line or a mobile.

Hope that helps

I also understand that the networks are opening the 10-Digit options early, so particularly Bangkok numbers for mobiles, the 10 digit version should work this week some time

As I have said before you DO NOT need a new SIM, your SIM or Subscriber Identity Module has nearly nothing to do with your mobile number. The main thing the phone company is interested in with your Sim is the SIM Identity number, that is NOT your mobile number, but it gets translated into your mobile number. It is a fact you can have 2 mobile numbers associated with one SIM

Calling a mobile from Overseas will have similar changes applied. So a number like + 66 1 111 1111 will change to +66 81 111 1111

Please understand if you have a SIM then the Phone Number and the SIM are independant and certainly nothing to do with the Handset. In a world (ANSI or Analogue) without a SIM then you need to do stuff to the handset.

Sep. 01 '06 mobile numbers will change to 10 digits (an additional '8' after the initial '0') but apparently this only applies to calls from mobile to mobile and mobile to land line. Does this mean you have to use the ten digits when calling a land line from mobile?.....

Land lines are unchanged Mobile numbers are changing to add the 8 so it will be like this

Old Number -----> New Number

01 111 1111 ----> 081 111 1111

03 111 1111 ----> 083 111 1111

04 111 1111 ----> 084 111 1111

05 111 1111 ----> 085 111 1111

06 111 1111 ----> 086 111 1111

07 111 1111 ----> 087 111 1111

09 111 1111 ----> 089 111 1111

There are no 02 based mobiles as that is a fixed line range for Bangkok and the area

Of course this makes perfect sense and is easy to understand. What confused me is that the BKK Post two or three times over the past few months clearly stated in their reporting that a mobile to land line call has to have the additional "8" and they gave the example of 02... to become 082.... if called from a mobile.

Sorry I do not have access to older archives of the BKK Post to provide a link.

opalhort

Wasn't it reported in the press that newer phones/SIM cards (purchased this year) are prepared for the 10 digit system but older phones/SIM cards have to be taken to the shop to have the SIM cards upgraded? The free service would be available from Sep.01 according to reports.

opalhort

Wasn't it reported in the press that newer phones/SIM cards (purchased this year) are prepared for the 10 digit system but older phones/SIM cards have to be taken to the shop to have the SIM cards upgraded? The free service would be available from Sep.01 according to reports.

opalhort

Don't need to from what I understand. :o

081 insted of 01 is working now.

Oh no it's not! :o:D

As stated before, I can use the 10 digit no. from my landline but not from my mobile! :D:D

I have to agree.

It is not reliable yet.

I called to Thailand this evening using +66 81 576 xxxx

and was told the number is not allocated.

Dropping the 8 it worked perfectly.

The "Soft Launch" started a few days ago. Mine works for both DTAC and AIS.

You need to consider that some parts of the networks are still being transitioned, so some some base-stations the extra 8 will work, while others won't.

Bangkok is also being done before upcountry, so it depends on where you purchased the SIM.

received a text message from AIS one - two - call this morning informing me of the change from 9 to 10 digits from sept 1st.

for more info call 915848 free , when i called the number....there is a message saying that number is not assigned !!!!

just gotta love the organisation and efficiency here sometimes.

Just found this link to D-tac, seems they have software that can update the 'phonebook' on your mobile to the new 10 number configuation so you won't have to spend an hour adding an 8 to all your numbers. It says that they will also update SMS settings at the same time. It only takes 2-3 minutes to complete.

D-tac 10 digit phonebook updates

opalhort

Yes I read the same, but I tried dialing my mobile with an 8 from a landline and it connected!

I certainly haven't been into a shop to get upgraded.

Don't know why there is so much wrong information given out .

Just got the wife to go into a main D-tac shop, and ask about the number change, and she was told that on sept 1st D-tac will be sending out special message to all D-tac customers , and this will

automatically do the number converting ..? ..But as we all have come to know what you are told

some times is not what you get !!

WW

Just got the wife to go into a main D-tac shop, and ask about the number change, and she was told that on sept 1st D-tac will be sending out special message to all D-tac customers , and this will

automatically do the number converting ..? ..But as we all have come to know what you are told

some times is not what you get !!

WW

This mornning there is an article the Post, which says that people neeed to go to a DTAC shop to upgrade! Rather confusing as I can't see the need, my number is already working with the extra 8. As to the numbers in the phone book what the hel_l. Therefore what is there to upgrade, perhaps someone can please tell me?

The way I understand it, based on the report in today's BKK Post, the new numbers work because of the 'grace period' until Nov., 30. Unless you have upgraded your SIM card at a shop you won't be able to receive calls to the new mobile number after that date. Is this correct?

This has nothing to do with the phone numbers in the phone book.

opalhort