Better ball.

tgeezer

Can anybody explain the scoring used by some groups. I feel that we are playing a variation of a Nassau with automatic presses at two down and counting only two nines, but I can't work it out. The Thais seem to be able to keep score mentally, am I just too dim?

When the front nine is lost, they say "Yor Dor" which is short for "Yok Yord paan derm" which seems to be code for "it depends on the final hole".

I accept that their are many variations for a gamble, just wondered how peculiar this one is.

whats so wrong with playing Stableford or matchplay. I don't know what you are referring to, maybe a specific thai game or a con. Either way its not as much fun if you don't know what it all means.

My post is a question but I don't mind answering yours. There is no problem, this is matchplay with the added interest that the match can not be over in as few as ten holes. Stableford is just a form of scoring designed to reduce the time it takes to play the round by restricting the number of shots played on each hole to net bogey.

You seem to be playing two down automatic Nassaus.

A nassau is three bets in one. One bet for the front, one for the back and one for total.

If, for instance, you lose the first two holes, you will automatically press, which creates a second bet covering the final seven holes.

Should you lose three and four as well, you press again and are working on your third bet for the final five holes.

Should you lose five and six, you press again and are working on your fourth bet for the final three holes.

Should you lose seven and eight, you press again are are working on the fifth and final bet of the front nine.

If you lose the ninth hole, all front side bets are over and you are down five bets. You have the same betting process on the back nine.

If you're playing 500 baht nassaus, you could lose five bets on each nine, plus 500 baht for the total.

You have lost 5,500 baht and should consider NOT playing any future two down automatics.

This scenario will only happen if you lose each and every hole of the bet.

I think my figures are correct. We always knew where we stood in this kind of bet. At least the guy winning knew.

Edit in: This is confusing. two edits required.

Edited by chuckd

I didn't want to ask a leading question and was reasonably sure that it was automatics presses at two up, but we play two separate nines and settle after each, not a Nassau. As you probably know there are so many variations and this appears to be one of them. it's the dramatic effect of the result on the last hole signalled by that expression, "Yok yorg paan derm" which I thought meant dormy; ( 'we can't lose') and was surprised and prompted to ask by having won or halved seven holes still had to pay! I have always believed that it was impossible to keep score in your head and I guess it would be as a Nassau, especially playing four of six balls counting, best and second best. I was mulling it over on a walk today and think that I am close to at least seeing how It is possible.

We are only three next Thursday so I will have a chance to discuss the match over lunch.

Thanks for the contribution. I will post my findings to add to the knowledge of the peculiarities of Thai golf here.