12 Month Rental Contract Nearly Over - Renewal Question

Hi guys,

The contract agreement at my current apartment was 12 months and it is nearly over now but I was wondering what is the standard procedure of renewing it. By that I mean if I want stay do I have to sign another 12 month contract?

I will speak to the landlord on Sunday but I want to be prepared to know where I stand if he says I must sign another 12 month contract.

Cheers,

Matt

Most lease agreements would require the tenant to notify the landlord 30 days before the end of the contract of his intention to extend the lease or not.

Similarly, a landlord would do the same if terms of the lease are to be changed, eg. increasing the rent.

This would allow both parties to prepare for any change.

• Like 1

I am in a similar position, the tenant has already indicated he wants to stay and to be honest given that he will have been there for 12 months I would be happy to sign a rolling 1 month contract. Better the devil you know than the devil you don't. We both speak English which makes it much much easier

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Thanks for the very helpful replies. smile.png

A one month rolling contract would be ideal as I would like to stay where I am a little bit longer while I look elsewhere but not more than 6 months (probably 2 more max) and certainly not commit to another 12.

Dean008, better the devil you know but do will my landlord think the same.. we shall see rolleyes.gif

Cheers again!

Matt