Poll: Dudes, how much CASH do you typically carry in your wallet in Thailand?

Jingthing

Dudes, how much CASH do you typically carry in your wallet in Thailand?  

84 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

A side issue here is whether people are paying everything or most things in CASH or are using credit/debit cards more. Personally, in Thailand it's all cash for me even very large amount purchases. When I was a tourist I would use cards for hotels though. It does feel very retro using cash so much considering the trend is actually the opposite.

Credit cards are deadly in a pub. 8 of you out on the Lash for 10 hours and There you are waving your card , "I'll get it . I'll get it"

Done some serious damage in the past like that

Edited by ExPratt
  • Like 1

Usually 10,000 and if down to 4,000 get another 10,000....just looked and 14,000 in there now...been a week since last ATM withdrawl...wife has own money/budget my wallet is not checked....was more but spent a bit yesterday.....ATM fees are the same so don't/rarely take out smaller amounts.....

bangkokjulia, on 14 Jan 2015 - 15:50, said:

100 baht-just enough to get me a "decent" 99 baht breakfast in Pattaya. Slightly more in Bangkok.

Julia you won't get any change in Konying's place unless you are prepared to wait at least half an hour.

• Like 2

Guess I shouldn't put my number looking at the replies so far.

But theres only so much that will fit in it right , hehehee

I don't get it. Why would you need a massive amount of walking around cash everyday?

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Guess I shouldn't put my number looking at the replies so far.

But theres only so much that will fit in it right , hehehee

I don't get it. Why would you need a massive amount of walking around cash everyday?

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Dear dear JT , of all the people to bite didn't think it would be you.

Shouldn't you also confirm how big the wallet is in the first place ? ;-)

In my case, because of where we live, I don’t "walk around" everyday. I may go to town a couple times each week and usually have errands to run and shopping to do, so carry enough to cover any possible expenditures. When I am accompanied by my lovely wife, she pays for everything but I carry cash as a backup in case she runs short.

Edited by villagefarang

I guess how much you're not too worried about being robbed of is a sign of your wealth.

As I usually carry roughly 2500 I know I wouldn't be very upset if that was robbed.

Not asking for it but life would go on!

For some dudes, leaving the money at home with the girlfriend would be the bigger robbery risk than keeping it in the wallet

• Like 2

I guess how much you're not too worried about being robbed of is a sign of your wealth.

As I usually carry roughly 2500 I know I wouldn't be very upset if that was robbed.

For some dudes, leaving the money at home with the girlfriend would be the bigger robbery risk than keeping it in the wallet

I feel for those dudes.

2500 baht is probably enough incentive for a yaabaa addicted baht bus driver to stab you.

2500 baht is probably enough incentive for a yaabaa addicted baht bus driver to stab you.

The fare is 10 baht. Exact change suggested.

Dont like to carry stuff, so, no wallet.

I'm not a tourist and i know what expenses i have when leaving the house. It will be that amount + 300 - 1000 ฿ extra.

In case of an emergency i wear a heavy gold chain (over 15 years already).

Our money is in the bank/with the missus.

and then tutsi is back at the ranch and per ususal there is no internet signal ...tutsi sighs and then yells at the step daughter after she gets home from her 12 hour shift at the local 7-11...'whattsamatta widye? this is your responsibility!...' she then makes some inquiries and sez: 'they'll fix it now, but I'm gonna need some dough...' and then tutsi gestures to the drawer on his computer table where the wallet is...

the internet comes back and then later, tutsi checks his cash and 4k is missing and then 'whaaa??? you needed 4k to re-establish the connection???...' and then she screams at me and sez: 'you tole me to take what I needed from yer wallett, goddamit!!!' (please observe: the internet connection and the amount of money that she took from my wallet are not related...)

god...I love this girl and I would be totally lost without her and she is very aware...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I don't like having less than 5,000 in my wallet. More if I'm on a night out.

That's a good point ... if going out for a night on the town you would want to be prepared. I suppose I carried more when I was a tourist. Probably should have separated tourists and expats in this. Regardless I am kind of surprised by the results so far. More people are carrying more than I would have predicted.

Staying in Bangkok on Friday and Saturday meeting some old colleagues. 15K cash and various cards. One of them is bringing his Missus who won't go out , so we'll probably be drinking for the first half of the night in the Hotel bar, which are usually a rip off

About 1000 baht on a daily basis for everyday stuff. I tend to find whatever's in my pocket I'll fritter away on stuff I don't really need so I try and keep as little as possible in cash on me.

• Like 1

That's a good point ... if going out for a night on the town you would want to be prepared. I suppose I carried more when I was a tourist. Probably should have separated tourists and expats in this. Regardless I am kind of surprised by the results so far. More people are carrying more than I would have predicted.

I don't understand why you would separate this, not sure what your trying to infer, I typically have Thb 10 to 15k in my wallet at any given time and been here 14 years so guess I must be a tourist then ?

• Like 2

I don't understand why you would separate this, not sure what your trying to infer, I typically have Thb 10 to 15k in my wallet at any given time and been here 14 years so guess I must be a tourist then ?

I'm "inferring" that as a generality, for tourists every day is a spendy holiday and that as a generality for long term residents, every day is just a regular day.

• Like 1

I go to the bank at the start of the month, and top up whatever is left at home, from the previous month..to make up 100K... I then leave that locked up at home. On a daily basis, I like to have 10k in the wallet... But I can't remember the last time I spent that in a day... I top up daily, sometimes as little as 1 or 2 k. from the 100k at home.. I just like to have the money (10k) with me, in case I decide I want to buy or do something....

Rinse and repeat