Battle of the brands

MJP

I couldn't upload the Jpeg.

So here's the link. http://petapixel.com/2014/12/15/chart-shows-badly-digital-camera-sales-getting-hammered-smartphones/

Apple or Nokia should not be included on this IMO as they don't specifically make photographic equipment.

Sony need to pull more lenses out the bag IMO.

Nothing new is being developed by most of the companies, they are all just playing out the megapixel/ISO war or other gimmick stuff.

I'd like to see other manufacturers adopt the, see as its being took live view for long exposures, which I believe the OMD-EM1 does.

Also firmware updates that add new features that are useful, like Fuji does and now Nikon are following suit but only for their full frame cameras D600 and above.

Whether the features they will provide are a gimmick or useful to people...I don't know.

Interesting times. I'd like to shoot medium format film if it was affordable.

post-43222-0-01800600-1421189073_thumb.j

Edited by rhythmworx
  • Like 2

^^^ M & RW...I agree. Not much or anything "new" from the big players.

Saying that I took my 810 & D4s (both new) to Burma and they were

flawless in performance. However they're not really "new" IMO...just

upgrades to existing models. That said I expect to hear brickbats

concerning the 810....but think about it before hand, please. It's

not a brand new camera...just an 800E with some really neat new

features tucked inside.

On the other hand...Fuji & Oly seem to pushing for new stuff all the

time & are getting great reviews on that gear.

^^^ PE....I was trying to remember the 3rd camera maker on my list

of innovators but just couldn't pull Pana outta me head for some

reason. Panasonic rank up there with Fuji & Oly IMO and for what

Pana is doing in the 4K realm...I reckon they're at the top for that.

A camera phone with a 1" sensor? Geez....

• Like 1

Always nice to see some new kids on the block too . . . Venus Optics (a new Chinese lens manufacturer) have announced a new 60mm f/2.8 Ultra Macro . . .

Venus-Optics-60mm-f2.8-Ultra-Macro-lens-

it's the worlds first 2:1 (very handy!) with infinity focus . . . APS-C and FF (macro only). Read more + some nice looking sample shots taken with it here . . http://photorumors.com/2015/01/05/venus-optics-announced-new-60mm-f2-8-ultra-macro-lens-the-worlds-first-21-magnification-lens-with-infinity-focus/

nice price too !

• Like 2

Having had the time now to take the 3.8 seconds required study the chart, my only conclusions are 1. Sony sales performance is a myth. 2. I think the K-3 may be the last consumer grade camera Pentax will make. Wouldn't be surprised if Ricoh just stick to the 645z and dump all the other lines. It appears Pentax now has no sales at all.

I couldn't upload the Jpeg.

So here's the link. http://petapixel.com/2014/12/15/chart-shows-badly-digital-camera-sales-getting-hammered-smartphones/

Apple or Nokia should not be included on this IMO as they don't specifically make photographic equipment.

Sony need to pull more lenses out the bag IMO.

Nothing new is being developed by most of the companies, they are all just playing out the megapixel/ISO war or other gimmick stuff.

I'd like to see other manufacturers adopt the, see as its being took live view for long exposures, which I believe the OMD-EM1 does.

Also firmware updates that add new features that are useful, like Fuji does and now Nikon are following suit but only for their full frame cameras D600 and above.

Whether the features they will provide are a gimmick or useful to people...I don't know.

Interesting times. I'd like to shoot medium format film if it was affordable.

No Apple indeed !!. sad.png Tut Tut,my 6+ saves me carting Bags O Bits about, super ting all be it a tad limited.Wait for the 7+ next year with twin lenses.biggrin.png

Having had the time now to take the 3.8 seconds required study the chart, my only conclusions are 1. Sony sales performance is a myth. 2. I think the K-3 may be the last consumer grade camera Pentax will make. Wouldn't be surprised if Ricoh just stick to the 645z and dump all the other lines. It appears Pentax now has no sales at all.

"It appears Pentax now has no sales at all." How can this be; they have you?!

• Like 2

Always nice to see some new kids on the block too . . . Venus Optics (a new Chinese lens manufacturer) have announced a new 60mm f/2.8 Ultra Macro . . .

Venus-Optics-60mm-f2.8-Ultra-Macro-lens-

it's the worlds first 2:1 (very handy!) with infinity focus . . . APS-C and FF (macro only). Read more + some nice looking sample shots taken with it here . . http://photorumors.com/2015/01/05/venus-optics-announced-new-60mm-f2-8-ultra-macro-lens-the-worlds-first-21-magnification-lens-with-infinity-focus/

nice price too !

SOLD !

Next month Olympus are introducing a micro four thirds camera which achieves 40 megapixels by shifting the sensor while the shot is being taken. Remains to be seen how effective it is, but at least they are innovating.

Re...the Oly shifting the sensor....

Hassie has this on a few of their cameras which have the designator MS after the

model....such as H4D-50MS. This stands for...Model-H4D...50-Megapixels...

MS- Multi Shot. Where as when MS is selected on the menu the camera will

take a user defined number of frames with each frame the sensor moves by

a fraction of a millimeter then it's all magically stitched together incamera with

a resulting output...say... 7 frames into one....350MB. Simply wonderful for

extreme hi-res product shots such as expensive cars, jewelry etc.

Strictly tripod mind you! And it worked flawlessly...as one would expect from

Hassie.

I wonder what Oly's pricing is gonna be like? Competive with their other models

I hope.

"It appears Pentax now has no sales at all." How can this be; they have you?!

"Had". Operative word.

Always nice to see some new kids on the block too . . .

. . . nice price too !

SOLD !

was thinking of you in particular Goomps when i posted that . . i thought it may appeal, considering all that "buggery" you get up to . . .wink.png(ya know what i mean tongue.png)

• Like 1

Well, it really doesn't say that Sony's sales are bad, it shows that the percentage of Flickr users with Sony cameras has not grown wink.png. Indeed, if we were to go by the first chart, the camera maker that had the biggest sales was Samsung.

Now, if we go to the financial reports, we see Sony has sales of about 740,000 million yen for the 12-months ending in March 2014.

For perspective, Canon had sales of about 1,450,000 million yen for 12-months ending December 2014. Fuji had about 375,000 million yen in sales for the 12-months ending in March 2014.

Now, these aren't directly comparable, especially if you want to look at consumer cameras. Both Canon and Sony include their professional video in the numbers. Sony's sensor business to other manufacturers isn't include in the imaging division. Canon includes their high-end inkjet printers. Fuji includes their film and related print businesses in theirs, which is still a lot -- about 50% of the imaging.

If you try to factor all of these out, but it is really rough to do, both Sony and Canon get about 60% of imaging from consumer cameras and video. Fuji gets under 50%. So, Canon is about twice the size of Sony in sales and Sony is about three times the size of Fuji. Canon also appears to be a lot more profitable.

The sales numbers have been relative stable despite the lower volume of units sold, so it looks like they are all successfully moving towards the higher end camera market. Moreover, these were all before mirrorless was really getting much respect, so would be interesting to see how this changes for the March 2014 numbers (although, I'm actually not expecting too much of a change).

Edit:

Decided to look up some other manufactures:

Nikon: 750,000 million yen, but this appears to be all from consumer cameras, unlike Canon, Sony, and Fuji

Olympus: 96,000 million yen, not sure if this is all consumer cameras or not.

Panasonic: 304,000 million yen, not really sure on the split for cameras as this include professional broadcast equipment.

Edited by vaultdweller0013