Thai Charter drafters seeking to create loopholes for the elite

webfact

djjamie and costas will love it

all decent, honest and freedom loving peoples will hate it

But of course it will be in accordance with the often quoted but never defined "principles of democracy"!
  • Like 1

"I'll tip my hat to the new constitution

Take a bow for the new revolution

Smile and grin at the change all around

Pick up my guitar and play

Just like yesterday

Then I'll get on my knees and pray

We don't get fooled again"

"Meet the new boss

Same as the old boss"

Who wrote that? whistling.gif

Yes.

No, not Yes because...I've seen all good people wrote this...

• Like 1

Obviously they are stacking the deck to ensure they keep power. Will the Thai people accept it ?

the thai people have 3 actions they can take, #1 have a beer #2 eat some food # 3 roll over & sleep thru it. ....:-)

No no no there's a #4

Remember Prayut recently 'granted' a forum where people can go and complain about (everything???) that threatens democracy here ?

Just like yesterday
"Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss"

Yes.

• Like 2

I wonder if some people are actually as ignorant as they appear, or just want to whinge in usual Pheu-Thai supporter style.

First : Stop blaming anyone but yourselves for the coup. There would not have been one if Pheu-Thai (ie Thaksin) had not resorted very quickly to terrorism and murder to try and scare protestors away. An act which pretty much confirms what happened in 2010 (if any of you care to think about it).

Second: I've always said Prayuth will fail because of the rest of the snakes in government. This aticle is how they will do it. Pheu-Thai changed laws to allow corruption to steal from the taxpayer, now this lot will try to change them to keep power. The only out of this spiral is a third political party which supports real democracy. Unfortunately Thailand seems incapable of producing such a leader - and you people seem to prefer corruption anyway.

• Like 1

I wonder if some people are actually as ignorant as they appear, or just want to whinge in usual Pheu-Thai supporter style.

First : Stop blaming anyone but yourselves for the coup. There would not have been one if Pheu-Thai (ie Thaksin) had not resorted very quickly to terrorism and murder to try and scare protestors away. An act which pretty much confirms what happened in 2010 (if any of you care to think about it).

Second: I've always said Prayuth will fail because of the rest of the snakes in government. This aticle is how they will do it. Pheu-Thai changed laws to allow corruption to steal from the taxpayer, now this lot will try to change them to keep power. The only out of this spiral is a third political party which supports real democracy. Unfortunately Thailand seems incapable of producing such a leader - and you people seem to prefer corruption anyway.

first, stop blaming anyone but the military for the coup.

have you never heard of "taking responsibility for your own actions"?

• Like 1

this article is a rather clear and concise summary of how the 2007 constitution was manipulated to give the elite levers to pull, how those levers were pulled, and how that was not sufficient to meet the demands of the elite and now, finally, how the new constitution is being re-written to provide more levers of power to the elite.

waiting for the final version of the turd to pop out. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Long on verbiage and claims, very short on facts.

Let's just take one claim, that electing the head of the Supreme Court is more democratic. Where is this done? In the US where judges are elected in some states the result has always been rich man's justice, judges tending to side with those who provide electoral support/donations.

The claim that a fully elected Senate is more democratic is also far from cut and dried proven. There are countries with appointed senators which certainly don't lack in the measure of democracy. Others with elected senators, like the USA and Australia, have highly unequal representation in their elected senates.

"Others with elected senators, like the USA ... have highly unequal representation in their elected senates."

Under the USA Constitution each state gets two Senators. Fifty states means 100 senators. That seems highly equal to me.

Under the same Constitution, each state gets a number of House congressmen based on the population of the state. That also seems highly unequal but fair.

• Like 1

On a more serious note it`s great to see the Nation writing this stuff, a total U-turn to what they were spewing out this time 12 months ago.

The penny has dropped that although the previous lot were awful the current situation is infinetley worse. Quite why they couldn`t have predicted what was likely to happen when Suthep was walking the streets is beyond me.

I think quite a few Thais of a yellow persuasion are finally working out the current government doesn`t give a toss about them and, as usual, it`s that 0.1% that own half the wealth of the country that are the winners here.

Even posters like Seajae above (who simply couldn`t comprehend what was going on before ) seem to understand now

Tomorrow the journalist will be whisked away to the barracks, charged with LM and sentenced behind closed doors to 5 years!!

Freedom of speech is way too dangerous for the feudal masters and their mighty sponsors.....coffee1.gif

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Long on verbiage and claims, very short on facts.

Let's just take one claim, that electing the head of the Supreme Court is more democratic. Where is this done? In the US where judges are elected in some states the result has always been rich man's justice, judges tending to side with those who provide electoral support/donations.

The claim that a fully elected Senate is more democratic is also far from cut and dried proven. There are countries with appointed senators which certainly don't lack in the measure of democracy. Others with elected senators, like the USA and Australia, have highly unequal representation in their elected senates.

"Others with elected senators, like the USA ... have highly unequal representation in their elected senates."

Under the USA Constitution each state gets two Senators. Fifty states means 100 senators. That seems highly equal to me.

Under the same Constitution, each state gets a number of House congressmen based on the population of the state. That also seems highly unequal but fair.

Halloween's statement : The claim that a fully elected Senate is more democratic is also far from cut and dried proven.

is utter nonsense. I'm tempted to just call a spade a spade - alright, ... it's utter BS.

Such a comparison of an elected Senate as in the USA and an appointed Senate in a future Thailand with the intent to say that an elected Senate in Thailand may not be more democratic than an appointed is laughable ... just laughable.

It's extremely cut and dried...

• Like 1

Just like yesterday
"Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss"

Yes.

No, not Yes, Who.

Who's on first.

On a more serious note it`s great to see the Nation writing this stuff, a total U-turn to what they were spewing out this time 12 months ago.

The penny has dropped that although the previous lot were awful the current situation is infinetley worse. Quite why they couldn`t have predicted what was likely to happen when Suthep was walking the streets is beyond me.

I think quite a few Thais of a yellow persuasion are finally working out the current government doesn`t give a toss about them and, as usual, it`s that 0.1% that own half the wealth of the country that are the winners here.

Even posters like Seajae above (who simply couldn`t comprehend what was going on before ) seem to understand now

Just wondering out loud...that perhaps The Nation is awkwardly changing its stance so as to stop the hostile takeover of the NMG...change from a format that worked for years (although, a rather laughable one) to a tougher format that may see a temporary decline in NMG's desirability as a takeover target.

I dunno...?

Leung, environmentalists are a small minority? Give stuff away? Wow! I had no idea anyone could be so ignorant. The only giving away is the billions wasted in Iraq and Afghanistan. Pocketed by the shoe-in firms sent by Republicans to rebuild.

Just like yesterday
"Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss"

The Who https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYMD_W_r3Fg

Obviously they are stacking the deck to ensure they keep power. Will the Thai people accept it ?

the thai people have 3 actions they can take, #1 have a beer #2 eat some food # 3 roll over & sleep thru it. ....:-)

No no no there's a #4

Remember Prayut recently 'granted' a forum where people can go and complain about (everything???) that threatens democracy here ?

Oh you mean this recycle bin # 4 giggle.gif