New Chiang Mai Lamphun highway cutting through residential areas

Bung

^ Any updated maps?

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Come out on it's side for some reason but the info is there.

Any chance of a link to that map? It doesn't show baan wangtan
Certainly does. Bottom left hand corner with the map on it's side. Top left hand corner with the map upright!

(-:

Whoops! I mistook the outer ring road for the inner. Its the logical route through the area. Those water ponds wont be touched either way

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Might want to find out if they're planning to erect powerlines along the road. Not that locals will believe the EMF dangers judging by the phone masts in back gardens splitting DNA 24/7

I'm 600m from the proposed bridge.

http://www.bcmj.org/bc-centre-disease-control/living-near-power-lines-bad-our-health

a more recent study showed an elevated risk of leukemia among children living in homes with distances much greater than 60 m from high voltage power lines.[3] This study involved close to 30000 matched case-control pairs of children living in the United Kingdom. It was found that children living in homes as far as 600 m from power lines had an elevated risk of leukemia.

Edited by whiterussian

I read sometime ago that his is because Lumphun residents have problems getting to the airport. Unfortunately so do most people these days. It would seem odd to have a new 6 lane highway when the SUPERhighway only has four and as we all know is blighted with traffic lights stopping numerous vehicles for the sake of one or two. Not quite as bad as the Hangdong Road these days but it certainly adds to the frustration and pollution. The obvious answer would be to uprate Route 11 or move the airport. The airport was supposed to have been relocated years ago but as the land was owned by a famous fugitive the plan was shelved. As it is, common sense may prevail. It may not come to pass and as the other side of my wall is BWT village I certainly hope not.

I heard that there was a new airport planned for Ban Thi, which is the reason for this new road. Anyone else hear the same?

Rumours abound abound a new airport, San Patong, Sankamphaeng etc . As CM Airport is no where near capacity can't see it happening in the next 10 year.Add to that that the airport is now open 24/7

According to the map and the u tube the road stops short of the main highway to Lampang, which is crazy. What's that about?

There's another road being built heading south to Baan Hong and the 106 will be improved to connect with the number 1 close to Tak. A new route to Bangkok.

According to the map and the u tube the road stops short of the main highway to Lampang, which is crazy. What's that about?

There's another road being built heading south to Baan Hong and the 106 will be improved to connect with the number 1 close to Tak. A new route to Bangkok.

Open already, some 2 months ago. Canal road right through to south of Baan Hong 108 and 106 on to Lamphun.

Road from Baan Hong to Lamphun is still the standard 106, a six lane highway is having foundations laid to the west of Lamphun hospital right now. This will link with the highway this thread is about then continue south from Baan Hong.

There is some work going on at the airport south of the terminal. Looks like they are extending the apron and possibly the terminal as well so i doubt it is beng moved any time soon.

Also noticed while travelling along the 121 today where it intersects the chiang mai Lamphun road there is a big sign showing the future works. That intersection (and its a nightmare) will have a flyover and it will be all two lane. The two bridges further east (over the railway line and hwy11) are already having the foundations laid to widen them, you can see the pile drivers there.

Might want to find out if they're planning to erect powerlines along the road. Not that locals will believe the EMF dangers judging by the phone masts in back gardens splitting DNA 24/7

http://www.bcmj.org/bc-centre-disease-control/living-near-power-lines-bad-our-health

a more recent study showed an elevated risk of leukemia among children living in homes with distances much greater than 60 m from high voltage power lines.[3] This study involved close to 30000 matched case-control pairs of children living in the United Kingdom. It was found that children living in homes as far as 600 m from power lines had an elevated risk of leukemia.

Elevated. How high. .01% 10% or what your statement is useless with out a base to work from. They had an elevated risk but did any of them get it?

Elevated. How high. .01% 10% or what your statement is useless with out a base to work from. They had an elevated risk but did any of them get it?

If you click on the link whiterussian conveniently provided, you will see the answer to your question: "An increased risk of 69% for leukemia was found for children living within 200 m of power lines while an increased risk of 23% was found for children living within 200 to 600 m of the lines." It also quotes other studies as saying the risk increase is 100%/double if living within 60m.

I don't think you can can do a study like this, measuring the increased risk of getting cancer from <something>, without some of the subjects exposed to <something> actually getting cancer.

Edited by Awk

The Thais with means seem to think this road will happen as planned, as any available land bordering the proposed route is being snapped up. The unfortunate owners have started to receive government notification of land appropriation too.

The thing is.. I have seen this on Phuket where roads could not be completed, even one case where a owner refused to 'donate' the same few meters as everyone else and had his crazy building out reducing a 2 lane rd to a one lane bottleneck.. for a decade..

When this was questioned in the press various government bods claimed there was no way to force a sale and sellers were holding out for mega bucks.

Seems like an immense waste of money considering that highway 11 already exists. Wonder who's pockets will be getting lined with ฿฿฿?

11 Is way over capacity, but they could probably build another lane either side and flyovers cheaper than a whole new road, however, that would remove the incentive ( and we all know what that is, don't we! ) for the new road, so they will build it.

The Thais with means seem to think this road will happen as planned, as any available land bordering the proposed route is being snapped up. The unfortunate owners have started to receive government notification of land appropriation too.

Can you post a link to this "appropriation" please as I thought the route has yet to be given final royal approval?

Can you post a link to this "appropriation" please as I thought the route has yet to be given final royal approval?

There is no "link".....

This is the wife telling me that a land owner has received a letter informing them of the situation.

Seems like an immense waste of money considering that highway 11 already exists. Wonder who's pockets will be getting lined with ฿฿฿?

11 Is way over capacity, but they could probably build another lane either side and flyovers cheaper than a whole new road, however, that would remove the incentive ( and we all know what that is, don't we! ) for the new road, so they will build it.

hwy11 over capacity? I travel that road everyday at peak times. There are a few delays due to traffic lights & police controlling u-turns. But seriously, no way is it over capacity. Extra lanes would allow faster travel to gain a few minutes.

Where I do see congestion is on the road linking hwy 11 & airport in the morning. Probably because of Varee school?

How long before the whole valley is concreted over? Then all those folk from BKK who've bought homes here out in the rice fields will be able to pretend they're living in BKK w00t.gif

Pretend ? Thats they way its going now.facepalm.gif Just need a few more glowing reports by TA and LP.whistling.gif

hwy11 over capacity? I travel that road everyday at peak times. There are a few delays due to traffic lights & police controlling u-turns. But seriously, no way is it over capacity. Extra lanes would allow faster travel to gain a few minutes.

Where I do see congestion is on the road linking hwy 11 & airport in the morning. Probably because of Varee school?

Obviously your idea of overcapacity and mine are rather different then. I call nose to tail from Lamphun to C M overcapacity. However, surely you can't think there is no need to put in flyovers across the intersections. They are ridiculous on a supposed expressway.

BTW, the Thais obviously don't share your views, or they wouldn't be considering building this new route.

I would argue that the 11 isnt over capacity, its just very poorly designed with multiple traffic lights and choke points which should be free flowing.

If they sorted the flow of the road out, most of the nose to tail delays would be removed.. Flyovers and slip rds.. Removing u turn points and forcing vehicles to use the flyover locations..

Cheaper than a new rd, tho less commissions probably.

I would argue that the 11 isnt over capacity, its just very poorly designed with multiple traffic lights and choke points which should be free flowing.

If they sorted the flow of the road out, most of the nose to tail delays would be removed.. Flyovers and slip rds.. Removing u turn points and forcing vehicles to use the flyover locations..

Cheaper than a new rd, tho less commissions probably.

Adding an extra lane would also be cheaper than a whole new expressway, but as said, commissions rule!

I think there is one thing that everyone is missing and that's that even though it's billed as 'a new road to Lamphun' that doesn't mean that even the main goal is facilitating higher capacity all the way to Lamphun.

It also means there will be another main road in the suburban areas around the city center. As we all know Chiang Mai is expanding, and the goal is to channel development away from the old city center. Which is great, and there is a large area that will become (is becomign) more and more urbanized: what is de facto happening is the establishment of a larger city, an extended metropolitan area in the villages and districts surrounding the 'traditional' town area (roughly what's inside the Superhighway and Mahidol).

The above is happening no matter what: that's all the development of business and housing communities that are going up. To make sure however that you don't end up with "Bangkok" you need to make sure you have enough roads for people to get around. Currently most roads are narrow concrete rural roads, about two lanes wide (if that). And they all end up at the existing larger roads such as the Hang Dong Road, Old Lamphun Road, the Ring roads, etc. That means a lot of pressure on those roads, and delays as traffic needs to make U turns. You can see this on the Hang Dong road during rush hour already every day.

So having another proper road will facilitate the growth of the city (specifically away from the center), and keep surrounding sub-urban areas from becoming an congested mess.

It's not too crazy an idea to have another road there. More and more people live and work in those areas, and they need to get around.