Bank Account!

I want to open a bank account in Bangkok I have the form already filled out so the British Embassy only have to stamp and I am happy do they charge just to stamp and how much? Any other advice to what I need like passport, marriage certificate etc would be helpful I go this time on 30 tourist vsa waiver.

There are numerous threads in the Jobs, Economy, Banking, Business. Section, including a Pinned Topic, just for opening a bank account. Perhaps you could get your question moved there, or read the available information from the people that have gone through the same process. It doesn't seem to be a complicated process if you follow their advice.

Edited by beechguy

My experience has been and your mileage may vary is that each branch has their own rules on opening accounts. As mentioned previously having your passport, a mailing address and some money is needed.

If one branch refuses you i/e work permit, etc., just move on and try another branch. It would probably worthwhile to concentrate on bank branches located in Farang populated areas as they would be most likely to understand you and are more receptive to doing business with you.

Like I said, your mileage may vary. Myself, I tried 3 different branches of Kasikorn in Chiang Mai before I had any success, the first one being in their main shopping mall there.

My experience has been and your mileage may vary is that each branch has their own rules on opening accounts. As mentioned previously having your passport, a mailing address and some money is needed.

If one branch refuses you i/e work permit, etc., just move on and try another branch. It would probably worthwhile to concentrate on bank branches located in Farang populated areas as they would be most likely to understand you and are more receptive to doing business with you.

Like I said, your mileage may vary. Myself, I tried 3 different branches of Kasikorn in Chiang Mai before I had any success, the first one being in their main shopping mall there.

Thank you Roger I will take my Passport, driving License, Marriage certificate and my new home details in Chiang Rai... I will go into the branch near terminal 21 I think it is called nana Bangkok.. I will see what happens!! I think if I go to Brit Embassy they will charge me... But I need a Thai bank account now

Why would you want or need to go to the British consulate prior to opening a bank account? It has nothing to do with them.

The most the bank will ask for is a certificate of residence (which is a proof of address and has nothing to do with whether you are actually resident or not) and you should be able to get this at Immigration in return for a tip/bribe that varies from 0B to 500B according to which office you go to.

It is entirely down to the individual bank branch whether they want to open an account for you, so if the one you go to is difficult just try another. Hint: the easiest ones are usually the ones with many farang customers in locations popular with farangs.

Why would you want or need to go to the British consulate prior to opening a bank account? It has nothing to do with them.

The most the bank will ask for is a certificate of residence (which is a proof of address and has nothing to do with whether you are actually resident or not) and you should be able to get this at Immigration in return for a tip/bribe that varies from 0B to 500B according to which office you go to.

It is entirely down to the individual bank branch whether they want to open an account for you, so if the one you go to is difficult just try another. Hint: the easiest ones are usually the ones with many farang customers in locations popular with farangs.

The OP is in Bangkok and on a visa exempt entry. Bangkok Immigration will not issue a certificate of residence unless you are doing 90 day reports with them, which the OP isn't being here visa exempt.

Sophon

The OP is in Bangkok and on a visa exempt entry. Bangkok Immigration will not issue a certificate of residence unless you are doing 90 day reports with them, which the OP isn't being here visa exempt.

Fair enough, though a real nuisance if banks insist on it.

BKB website quite clear (although success, or otherwise, will depend on the helpfulness - or otherwise - of the branch you choose):-

Apply at the branch

Simply print out an application form and take it into your nearest branch (or obtain a copy of the form at your branch and fill it out).

Foreign customers registering should provide their passport and evidence of a local residential address (not a PO Box or Hotel), a list of accounts to be registered, together with the following identification documents.

Customer Status

Documents Required

You have permanent residency in Thailand
  1. Valid passport or Alien Certificate or Certificate of Residency
  2. House Registration document
You are working in Thailand and hold a non-immigrant B visa
  1. Valid passport
  2. Valid work permit

You hold a tourist visa or non-immigrant visa e.g. ED, EX, F, IB, IM, M, O, O-A, R, RS, D, F, SE, MT, S

(except non-immigrant L-A visa)

1. Valid passport, and
  2. ONE of the following documents:

2.1 An identity card with your photo issued by a government institution or university as such as:

- Your driver’s license, Foreign Identification Card, University Student/Professor Card

2.2 A letter of recommendation from

- Embassy, International Organization, Customer’s home bank to Bangkok Bank via the SWIFT message, a person acceptable to Bangkok Bank (such as BBL staff, customer, government officer, company executive, private firms), or home country institutions (such as pension receipt)

2.3 Other documents issued in Thailand showing your name such as:

- Bank Statement, lease agreement, utility bill, documents showing owners of a fixed asset Condominium e.g. Sale/Purchase Agreement