Bangkok’s Multi-Colored Taxis

Neilly

Something I didn't know until today...

Unlike the rest of the world, where taxis are usually yellow and black, Bangkok’s taxis come in a full range of colours. There are pink taxis, orange taxis, purple taxis, green taxes, yellow taxis and taxis in various combinations. While taxi colour in other countries signify nothing in particular, Bangkok’s taxis are actually colour coded. The single-colour are company taxis, personal taxis in cooperation or alliance and rental company taxis. These colour include bright green, bright sky blue, red, orange, yellow, blue, pink, purple, violet and tan. The bi-coloured taxis are in 3 kinds including yellow-green, red-blue and yellow-orange. The yellow-green are the personal private taxi. The red-blue are the rental taxi. The yellow-orange are the company taxi. Taxis are abundant in Bangkok so you can pick any colour you like, but the yellow-green taxis are generally reckoned to be better, being owned and driven by the owners themselves.

bkktaxi_zps508bb206.jpg

• Like 1

Nice post, but you're gonna have to expand on this a bit b/c you say the single-color taxis are company taxis, but you also say the yellow & orange taxis are company taxis. And I'm not even sure what's the difference between a company taxi and a rental one.

I saw an old yellow and black taxi forlornly decaying in a garden/bit of roadside wasteland the other day near Mor Chit.

I'd not seen one of them old things for donkey's years. Was probably in better nick now than when it was in service.....

Edited by ThePlant

I saw an old yellow and black taxi forlornly decaying in a garden/bit of roadside wasteland the other day near Mor Chit.

I'd not seen one of them old things for donkey's years. Was probably in better nick now than when it was in service.....

These 25-30 year old taxis still run from some big C's. But they are not allowed to pick up on the roads, they just take shoppers home. They have the same meters, quite good fun to ride in one.