72 Lao women rescued from prostitution dens in Suphan Buri

webfact

So the Nation says they were 18-22, Coconuts (unreliable) says 13-20...

I'm leaning towards the former, from my experience the vast majority of these brothel girls are sexually mature, have chosen to do the job and are quite happy about it, far from 'human trafficking'.

13 years old??? and tipped off by a 15 year old victim, so sad.

Hope they find the ring leader of the gang and serve proper punishment.

But I know asking for proper judgement here is merely a wish that will never come true.

So much to Thainess

If you had been in Bangkok 30 years ago, you would have seen many young girls in the bar areas, 14/15/16, nearly all Soi Cowboy bars had girls this age. It would have been more difficult to find a girl over 20.

However, on Laos girls in the upcountry brothel scene, it's a given that local patrons like them young, virgins are offered for 10000 baht plus.The girls stay about a year and are allowed home to Laos every couple of months. They are not sex slaves, and can turn down any customer they don't like the look of. I know nothing about the Karaoke scene. The popular brothel girls will save a couple of hundred thousand baht in a year. Most of the brothels in Udon Thani and Nong Khai have been closed down in the last year.

Are you trying to say that this is ok or what? Just because it was ok 30 years ago... You obviously don't have any daughters then do you? facepalm.gif

You're right, we don't hear much going on in muang Suphan, song phi nong is approx 60 km away,, although in saying that a couple years back one of the local resteraunts was raided and if I remember correctly were found to be operating a brothel although I'm happy to be corrected on that,,,

quote name="salavan" im very suprised at this peice of news as suphan buri used to have a zero tollerance of prostitution in the past

Thainess = 'gob nai kala'

I was thinking it too. This ain't the spotlight on the world stage by any means.

I don't know why we as posters are reduced to phonetics here, and aren't permitted to type a few Thai characters from time-to-time. I mean, we are in Thailand for cryin' out loud. When I type it, they edit it out.

Edited by gemini81

I'd love to know how this Lao woman contacted the Pavena foundation. A friend of my girlfriend was raped , beaten and left for dead and we tried to contact this foundation bit it's not possible. She still seems to show up for any high profile case like this though.

Was'nt it just yesterday that they hoped the US would be fair when they realise what great strides have been made to counter human trafficking?

Yep. And today they report another bust in the crusade.

Seriously, I've met Kunying Paveena and she and her charity do really good work for women. But what now will happen to the 72 victims? How will they be helped?

Some 13, 14, 15, 16 - will these men or their customers be charged with rape? This is not only forced prostitution but seems to include pedophiles too.

How many more "dens" like this are there and who really runs them?

So many unanswered questions from these stories. But, I bet the customers of these 4 dens weren't foreigners.

Charged with Rape?? No, the I think the law specifically says "Thai Girls under the age....." I remember when it was unlawful to check into a hotel with a girl that wasn't your wife - we had to rent two rooms, one for you and one for her if she was Thai, so papasan can call up if they were being raided. Khemer girls were okay.