Prayuth vows to bring 'smiles' to 2010 crackdown site

webfact

Prayuth Vows to Bring "Smiles" To 2010 Crackdown Site
By Khaosod English

14213024991421303308l.jpg
A parade-goer takes a photo a performer in the TAT's "Discover Thainess" parade in Bangkok on 14 Jan 2015.

BANGKOK — Standing a block away from the site of a bloody military crackdown on Redshirt protesters in 2010, junta chairman and Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha kicked off last night’s "Thainess" parade in Bangkok with a vow to bring smiles back to the capital city.

"The government is doing everything to make the people happy," Gen. Prayuth said. "As for this area, in the past there were problems with vendors and political rallies, but today, I will make it a place of smiles."

Gen. Prayuth, whose speech marked the launch of an extravagant cultural parade organized by the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), was referring to the Redshirt rallies in 2010 that took place on Ratchaprasong Intersection, a block away from where he was speaking last night.

The protests lasted from April to May 2010 and were eventually squashed by series of military operations that Gen. Prayuth helped lead. More than 90 people, mostly civilians, were killed in the unrest.

However, Gen. Prayuth insisted that those violent episodes are a thing of the past.

"When I was visiting foreign countries, foreigners asked me if Thailand was stable and peaceful yet, whether the protests were over," the junta chairman said. "I told them with pride: they are all over. It's all peaceful now."

Shortly after seizing power, Gen. Prayuth imposed martial law and banned all political protests and gatherings. Violators have been sent to face trial in military courts.

"Whoever causes chaos to Thailand or takes peace and order away, they should not be recognized as Thais, because Thais don't destroy each other," the junta chairman said in his speech last night.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1421302499

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-01-15

100 people murdered and this is shrugged off as problems with vendors and rallies? Maybe happiness will occur when all parties, including the military, take ownership of past transgressions.

Gen. Prayuth said. "As for this area, in the past there were problems with vendors and political rallies"

And while they're at it, the red-shirts can take responsibility for shutting down businesses, burning a mall, and placing hundreds of thousands of workers in harm's way during their lawless occupation of downtown Bangkok.

• Like 1

"Whoever causes chaos to Thailand or takes peace and order away, they should not be recognized as Thais, because Thais don't destroy each other," the junta chairman said in his speech last night.

Given the annual murder and road kill stats I'd say Thais are pretty good at destroying each other.

• Like 1

100 people murdered and this is shrugged off as problems with vendors and rallies? Maybe happiness will occur when all parties, including the military, take ownership of past transgressions.

Gen. Prayuth said. "As for this area, in the past there were problems with vendors and political rallies"

And while they're at it, the red-shirts can take responsibility for shutting down businesses, burning a mall, and placing hundreds of thousands of workers in harm's way during their lawless occupation of downtown Bangkok.

Yes I agree. Whilst I have no affiliation to any childish colour, that (above) should stand for the those closing down of the airport and disruptions to the streets in Bangkok for many months in 2014. Both sides should be made accountable.

Still haven't seen anything of value in change though. still waiting.coffee1.gif

• Like 2

I will make it a place of smiles."

says the general who, himself, was leading the military assault against red shirt protesters killing dozens in the 'clean-up' operation.

Is this guy that tone-deaf? For a red shirt, this must be the equivalent of the infamous only-ugly-tourists-are-safe-in-bikinis comment. coffee1.gif

Annicca - some day, too, this old dinosaur will be gone.

• Like 1

I am speechless. He actually had the temerity to say that, and with a straight face?

This guy must have had his head buried in the sand (or someone's nether regions) for the last 10 years. With people like this in charge, there is no hope for Thailand.

he was in charge in 2010. His head is not buried. He knows what he is talking about but he says it anyway. In any case, I agree with your last sentence whole heartedly.

I'm very Happy now with you General.

Please keep on bringing the smile on my facethumbsup.gif

Considering the current political and economic situation in Greece, any political leader, except your own, should bring a smile to your face!!

Robert Mugabe......................

Yes, good general, just keep telling yourself that.

Second highest road fatality rate in the world;

Second highest gun murder rate in the world;

Vocational students waging quasi-wars against each other;

Almost a fifth of the population addicted to illicit drugs or involved in the drug trade;

Another large part of the population hopeless alcoholics;

Embezzlement and fraud at the highest levels of society;

Headlines about murders, rapes, kidnappings, illegal gambling, modern-day slavery and what not on a practically daily basis.

But hey, "Thais don't destroy each other".

And if the culprits "should not be recognized as Thais", as what should they be recognized then, dear general? Foreigners perhaps?

Sometimes the crazy nationalistic rhetoric in this country just makes me want to puke, honestly.

I also wonder how many locals brandished a smile yesterday as they got stuck in the horrific traffic jams that reportedly had locked down the inner city.

I love you, Mr. Whisper! Couldn't have said it better myself! Your post rounds it all up perfectly! thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

The soldiers would be the ones that need to be cheered up.

6 soldiers were killed before a single protestor died. Soldiers fired rubber bullets and tear gas before a single bullet killed a protestor. Ahbisit was criticized for being too lenient on them.

A few months ago in the centre of Brisbane a man was shot by police because he had a knife in his hands.. He didn't have grenades. He didn't take police hostage. He didn't storm buildings. He didn't shot anyone. He didn't attack anyone. He didn't storm a hospital. Yet he was still shot.

In Thailand they threatened to blow up LPG truck, grenade attacks at Thai banks, attacked Thai charity with grenades, stormed parliament, attacked NPP and TPI buildings with M16 and grenades, (this was around the time tear gas and bullets were fired by the soldiers), stormed police hospital, stormed TV station (people even questioned Ahbisits control of the soldiers after the lack of resistance they offered the red shirts on this occasion), bomb attacked on electricity pylons, 2 police taken hostage, destroyed CCTV cameras, dumped tyres on sky train tracks.

​Smiles are needed, but this need to be on the poor soldiers faces.

• Like 1

6 soldiers were killed before a single protestor died. Soldiers fired rubber bullets and tear gas before a single bullet killed a protestor. Ahbisit was criticized for being too lenient on them.

A few months ago in the centre of Brisbane a man was shot by police because he had a knife in his hands.. He didn't have grenades. He didn't take police hostage. He didn't storm buildings. He didn't shot anyone. He didn't attack anyone. He didn't storm a hospital. Yet he was still shot.

In Thailand they threatened to blow up LPG truck, grenade attacks at Thai banks, attacked Thai charity with grenades, stormed parliament, attacked NPP and TPI buildings with M16 and grenades, (this was around the time tear gas and bullets were fired by the soldiers), stormed police hospital, stormed TV station (people even questioned Ahbisits control of the soldiers after the lack of resistance they offered the red shirts on this occasion), bomb attacked on electricity pylons, 2 police taken hostage, destroyed CCTV cameras, dumped tyres on sky train tracks.

Good that you have posted the truth of what happened rather than the usual red history, but there are a few things I would like to add.

It was a more than a threat to blow up the LPG tanker they actually attempted to blow it up and failed, and they did it live on TV, it should be mentioned that the tanker was outside a crowded apartment building at the time and if they had succeeded it would have killed many of the occupants, possibly demolishing the building.

There were also the buses they hijacked and burnt, again live on TV, and the attempt to blow up the fuel tank at Don Muang airport with grenades.

And who but a red could forget the hate speeches from the stage, "Each bring a bottle I have a million liters of gasoline, we will turn the country into a sea of flame"

Then there is the image that will forever stick in the mind of a young child put on top of a barricade as a target and the children being taught how to fire home made rockets at the army, again all live on TV.

The grenades fired at the sky train station which killed a lady and injured others.

Also seen live on TV and still images in the news, men in black shooting in the general direction of the army then quickly jumping into cover, I wonder how of their own people they shot ?

Then there was the TV images of the faithful protesters being paid for their trouble and the ones who had their ID cards taken from them to prevent them from leaving.

And don't forget the brave leaders, 'we will fight to the last drop of blood' (as long as it isn't our blood), who once they had spewed forth their hate on the stage retired to their air conditioned container for their hotel prepared meals then to their hotel room beds while the faithful slept, sweated and bled on the street and ate noodles.

And the leaders were richly rewarded for their bravery as they all came out of it as millionaires and most as MP's and even given cabinet posts.

And the police standing by watching all this and in some cases helping.

Who could have funded this, could it possibly have been the convicted criminal who called in regularly to encourage this attempt to overthrow a legal Government ?

• Like 1

ah, the ever-forgetful apologists.

Tell us how your truth jives with nearly 100 deaths and of those, what, around a handful were solders? First 2 days of the 'final assault' led by the current 'PM' had 29 protesters in the morgue and ... 0 soldiers. How the heck is that justified?

Don't forget to mention the civilians killed by your red friends.

Yes it is disgusting how the brave leaders at first accepted Abhisit's offer of early elections when he gave in to their demands in an attempt to avoid farther bloodshed then the next day reneged on that agreement.

All the deaths and injuries after that can be squarely laid at the door of the one who made the decision not to end the riots at that time for that decision left no alternative but to clear the protesters out, that they resisted and force was needed must be on the head of the decision maker.

Now who could have been responsible for that decision, who could possibly have needed more blood in an attempt to farther his attempted overthrow of the legal Government ?

You are right it is not justified and I don't know how the red leaders and their controller can live with knowing that their decision to continue the riots lad to so many deaths.

But of course they just deny it as do you, and it should be noted that not one of them have ever shown any remorse for all the people they go killed and injured and all they damage they caused with their completely unjustified riots.

You clearly understand nothing about Thai politics. Interesting that your home nation of Australia has banned the Junta Generals from stepping foot on its shores. Your sentiments are at odds with not only your entire homeland but also the majority of the Thai population. You clearly understand nothing about Thai politics.

• Like 2