Why Your Orange Juice Is Slowly Killing You

stopthegreed

I thought all of this was common knowledge that fruit juices should be avoided as everyone knows you get fat from it. But given the state of the average farang in Thailand overweight and such it might not be common knowledge. But I thought it was the beer that did it for most, doubt those guys would even drink orange juice.

Shit! Am I going to die, as I have orange juice with my morning fry-up and 3 coffees? ohmy.png

Good reply. LOL. I am still waiting for someone to post that they drink the juice of 4 freshly squeezed broccoli heads each morning.

I used to drink that and pressed kale and garlic and stuff, but not as often now, as its quite a bit of work to slow juice it all. Takes quite a bit of time going to the market and get a selection of veggies then press them and clean the machine. But i still do it at times, gives a good health boost.

But face it most guys don't care about how they look they pay for their honey and once paid they are good at faking it and telling you your a handsome guy.

100 % Juice is usually a bit more than 100 %.

Production usually: Press it (or on apple you just destroy the cell walls with enzymes which is cheaper). In case of Orange juice disable the natural enzymes else it get bitter. Extract the aroma from it. Get rid of the water and make concentrate.

Than: Mix the concentrate with water. Add the aroma back, add Vitamin C you lost in the process (doesn't need to be declared as you just fill up to the natural levels). In case of orange juice add a little bit of oil from the peel as it compensate a bit for the lost aroma.

The sugar: If you drink a glass of orange juice in the morning it won't be a problem. Also a glass of coke won't be a problem. Problem is that people drink 2 liter coke and it lots of sweet and icecreame at the same time.

Exactly, but, instead of going through all that trouble, just eat a small bowl of Broccoli, you have everything you need.

I can't recall when I last eat broccoli.........terrible thing....

Then try my Mum's receipe. Cut the fresh broccoli into edible sizes. Fill a microwave bowl with a fingerful of water, then add a piece of KNORR broth (chicken, mushroom, vegetarian or beef, your choice) Add the broccoli, pour a little, very little bit of olive oil over the broccoli and put the bowl into a microwave, set the timer to 7 minutes. While it simmers, grate some cheese powder from a slab of Padano Cheese or use a ready to serve Parmesan. After 5 minutes, take the bowl from the microwave and top the broccoli with grated Parmiggiano or Parmesan. Put it back into the microwave for another 1,5 minutes.

You will love it, it is a great meal and the preparation method leaves a lot of all the vitamins in the broccoli. If you had ever disliked broccoli, this is the 180 degree turn of your life !

I understand that some may love that. It sounds good. But not my thing, specially as it lacks the meat. And after you heat the broccoli, it won't have Vitamin C anymore.

Still healthy but Vitamin C is destroyed by heat.

I thought all of this was common knowledge that fruit juices should be avoided as everyone knows you get fat from it. But given the state of the average farang in Thailand overweight and such it might not be common knowledge. But I thought it was the beer that did it for most, doubt those guys would even drink orange juice.

Please explain how someone gets fat from drinking fruit juice. Or, are you talking about bacon fruit juice?

Please explain how someone gets fat from drinking fruit juice. Or, are you talking about bacon fruit juice?

You seriously don't know ? Ok ill explain its full of sugars. Normally when you eat an orange you eat fibers too so you would not be able to eat 3-5 oranges (that is what is in one glass of orange juice). Now you get all that sugar at once and it will cause an insulin spike. (bad thing diabetic ect), so anything you eat at that point get stored as fat too. (insulin is the mechanism that helps store food / sugars as fat).

Basically anything that causes huge insulin spikes is bad.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/jan/17/how-fruit-juice-health-food-junk-food

Then try my Mum's receipe. Cut the fresh broccoli into edible sizes. Fill a microwave bowl with a fingerful of water, then add a piece of KNORR broth (chicken, mushroom, vegetarian or beef, your choice) Add the broccoli, pour a little, very little bit of olive oil over the broccoli and put the bowl into a microwave, set the timer to 7 minutes. While it simmers, grate some cheese powder from a slab of Padano Cheese or use a ready to serve Parmesan. After 5 minutes, take the bowl from the microwave and top the broccoli with grated Parmiggiano or Parmesan. Put it back into the microwave for another 1,5 minutes.

Exactly, but, instead of going through all that trouble, just eat a small bowl of Broccoli, you have everything you need.

You will love it, it is a great meal and the preparation method leaves a lot of all the vitamins in the broccoli. If you had ever disliked broccoli, this is the 180 degree turn of your life !

I understand that some may love that. It sounds good. But not my thing, specially as it lacks the meat. And after you heat the broccoli, it won't have Vitamin C anymore.

You should google your opinion further, as it's a fairy tale ! Most studies find still 50% of Vitamin C in Broccoli still intact even after gently boiling or steaming in broth, water or in the microwave. And then there are vitamins left in the liquid, which you should eat as well. And Vitamin C isn't the only healthy ingredient of broccoli. Glucosinolates that have antioxidative properties are still intact, as are Vitamin A's

You seriously don't know ? Ok ill explain its full of sugars. Normally when you eat an orange you eat fibers too so you would not be able to eat 3-5 oranges (that is what is in one glass of orange juice). Now you get all that sugar at once and it will cause an insulin spike. (bad thing diabetic ect), so anything you eat at that point get stored as fat too. (insulin is the mechanism that helps store food / sugars as fat).

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/jan/17/how-fruit-juice-health-food-junk-food

I bet all the antioxidants contained in fresh fruit juices act as a balance against your "diabetic" effects. If you watch over your daily sugar intake and avoid all this oversugared stuff and 4 teaspoons of sugar in your coffee, why should the sugar contained in three oranges ruin your health ?

I love all these incoming fairy tales to the thread !

Edited by crazygreg44
  • Like 1

I drink freshly pressed orange juice in the mornings (healthy!) and in the evenings, I drink a lot of beer (not so healthy!)

It is called work/life balance !laugh.png

• Like 1

I bet all the antioxidants contained in fresh fruit juices act as a balance against your "diabetic" effects. If you watch over your daily sugar intake and avoid all this oversugared stuff and 4 teaspoons of sugar in your coffee, why should the sugar contained in three oranges ruin your health ?

Its called science.. and if you have no idea what an insulin spike is google it. I have no idea how someone can think that anti oxidants can counter diabetic but I am sure you can write a thesis on it and stun the medical world with your knowledge.

I knew a teacher who drank two bottles of street orange juice in the morning and after 4 months had type 2 diabetes.

It probably contributed, I doubt that this is the only cause. That said much of the street orange juice has added sugar to make it taste even sweeter.

Juices are not great but if all other things are in order a bit of juice wont set you over the edge. But combined with other stuff who knows.

Its called science.. and if you have no idea what an insulin spike is google it. I have no idea how someone can think that anti oxidants can counter diabetic but I am sure you can write a thesis on it and stun the medical world with your knowledge.

it depends on the quantity. I think a glass orange juice for breakfast isn't a problem at all. And it is less likely that someone drinks 2 liter orange juice per day than someone drinks 2 liter coke per day.

(and the coke drinker will also eat many other sweet things during the day).

You should google your opinion further, as it's a fairy tale ! Most studies find still 50% of Vitamin C in Broccoli still intact even after gently boiling or steaming in broth, water or in the microwave. And then there are vitamins left in the liquid, which you should eat as well. And Vitamin C isn't the only healthy ingredient of broccoli. Glucosinolates that have antioxidative properties are still intact, as are Vitamin A's

Yes it will depend on how long you'll boil it. Do you have any link to a study?

I never went into detail of the Vitamin C stability but when I studied even pasteurizing things was an issue.

it depends on the quantity. I think a glass orange juice for breakfast isn't a problem at all. And it is less likely that someone drinks 2 liter orange juice per day than someone drinks 2 liter coke per day.

(and the coke drinker will also eat many other sweet things during the day).

Of course it depends on the quantity, but its just to dispel the myth that juices are great for you. I had quite elavated blood sugar because I ate too much oatmeal at one sitting (just to give an example how other presumed healthy things can give you the same problem).

Your completely right about the comparison with coke.. its much more likely to drink more of it. I have yet to find people who drink 2 liters of juice a day.

as the OP has already said stay away from packaged fruit juices they are nothing but garbage.Even the water we drink is quite acidic,to neutralize the acidity squeeze some fresh lime juice or just add baking powder.Of course if you are "neverdie" it does n't matter,just grab a leo out of the fridge.

as the OP has already said stay away from packaged fruit juices they are nothing but garbage.Even the water we drink is quite acidic,to neutralize the acidity squeeze some fresh lime juice or just add baking powder.Of course if you are "neverdie" it does n't matter,just grab a leo out of the fridge.

Wish I'd read this comment first you old Coote .

I don't drink that stuff.

what's your poison neverdie..............carbolic acid in the outback?

hope you are well.

what's your poison neverdie..............carbolic acid in the outback?

hope you are well.

Yaks pissss. That's why I'm well.

You need to post more often. Try and balance some of the rubbish these under 80 y.o. Go on with ;)

From the Mayo Clinic website :

Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) is an essential nutrient. Still, it's possible to have too much vitamin C.

Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin that supports normal growth and development. Vitamin C also helps your body absorb iron. Because your body doesn't produce or store vitamin C, it's important to include vitamin C in your diet. For most people, a large orange, 1 cup (about 165 grams) of sliced strawberries, chopped red pepper or broccoli provide enough vitamin C for the day. Any extra vitamin C will simply be flushed out of your body in your urine.

For adults, the recommended dietary reference intake for vitamin C is 65 to 90 milligrams (mg) a day, and the upper limit is 200 mg a day. Although too much dietary vitamin C is unlikely to be harmful, megadoses of vitamin C supplements may cause:

• Diarrhea
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Heartburn
  • Abdominal bloating and cramps
  • Headache
  • Insomnia
  • Kidney stones

Remember, for most people, a healthy diet provides an adequate amount of vitamin C.

100 grams of Oranges contain 51 mg of Vitamin C. Two oranges squeezed in the mornings is absolutely recommended. Remember, it says, all surplus Vitamin C will be washed out of the body untouched. Any Vitamin C supplement that contains more than 200 mg of Vitamin C is harmful

100 grams of Broccoli contain 69-75 mg of Vitamin C. 250 grams of Broccoli steamed in the microwave in finger high broth for less than 8 minutes will still hold 50% of intact Vitamin C.

And yes, antioxidants are responsible for your wellbeing, healthy cell structures and general organic functions. I never said they help against diabetes . . they help to BALANCE out a lot of malfunctions, which summed up eventually lead to diabetes. In the same sentence I say that you have to watch your overall sugar intake, the main culprit that causes diabetes II. I hope you can agree with this. Don't need to write a medical essay on it, it has been discussed over the internet many times. Sharpen reading between the lines and finish reading the whole text, greatly helps.

Edited by crazygreg44

Shit! Am I going to die, as I have orange juice with my morning fry-up and 3 coffees? ohmy.png

Good reply. LOL. I am still waiting for someone to post that they drink the juice of 4 freshly squeezed broccoli heads each morning.

Raw food advocates do exactly what you mentioned ! One glass of freshly squeezed mixed green vegetables (broccoli, spinach, cabbage,beans) mixed with a low fat non-sweetened yoghurt. Followed by a steak for lunchtime . . . !! Lot's of peoples favourite !

Beats bottled stuff by equatorial lenghts . . . .

From the Mayo Clinic website :

Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) is an essential nutrient. Still, it's possible to have too much vitamin C.

Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin that supports normal growth and development. Vitamin C also helps your body absorb iron. Because your body doesn't produce or store vitamin C, it's important to include vitamin C in your diet. For most people, a large orange, 1 cup (about 165 grams) of sliced strawberries, chopped red pepper or broccoli provide enough vitamin C for the day. Any extra vitamin C will simply be flushed out of your body in your urine.

For adults, the recommended dietary reference intake for vitamin C is 65 to 90 milligrams (mg) a day, and the upper limit is 200 mg a day. Although too much dietary vitamin C is unlikely to be harmful, megadoses of vitamin C supplements may cause:

• Diarrhea
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Heartburn
  • Abdominal bloating and cramps
  • Headache
  • Insomnia
  • Kidney stones

Remember, for most people, a healthy diet provides an adequate amount of vitamin C.

100 grams of Oranges contain 51 mg of Vitamin C. Two oranges squeezed in the mornings is absolutely recommended. Remember, it says, all surplus Vitamin C will be washed out of the body untouched. Any Vitamin C supplement that contains more than 200 mg of Vitamin C is harmful

100 grams of Broccoli contain 69-75 mg of Vitamin C. 250 grams of Broccoli steamed in the microwave in finger high broth for less than 8 minutes will still hold 50% of intact Vitamin C.

And yes, antioxidants are responsible for your wellbeing, healthy cell structures and general organic functions. I never said they help against diabetes . . they help to BALANCE out a lot of malfunctions, which summed up eventually lead to diabetes. In the same sentence I say that you have to watch your overall sugar intake, the main culprit that causes diabetes II. I hope you can agree with this. Don't need to write a medical essay on it, it has been discussed over the internet many times. Sharpen reading between the lines and finish reading the whole text, greatly helps.

Megadoses are beyond several gram per day. There is still a discussion if high doses may help if you are sick, drink/smoke a lot, do extreme sport that generates a lot radicals (spelling??) in your muscles. Vitamin C as antioxidant is helping there.

I read a paper that the heritage matters also. People in tropic area may need up to 200 mg per day, while Inuit may have enough with lower than 10 mg.

In general you can't be wrong with a 500 mg tablet per day. And 2000 mg when sick.

Well, I am pushing 65 and have been drinking a glass of Minute Maid orange juice from concentrate every morning and another one in the evening for most of my life. When I was a youngster I used to sneak into the kitchen and grab the frozen concentrate out of the freezer and eat it with a spoon.

I have been a runner for 37 years, my weight and BMI are excellent, all my vitals are great and I take no prescription medicines.

I had tried stopping but absolutely love it and quickly bagged that idea. I wonder when those bad effects will begin kicking in?

I think people over think this stuff.

Lo-carb, good fat/bad fat...it's all over done.

I've been told rice, potatoes, bread, pasta etc will all kill me. I've been told to only eat heavy protein and nothing else.

It changes every six months fer Chris's sake.

I just buy the best ingredients I can and balance between veggies, fruit,nuts, meat and breads.

I try to minimalize sugar intake but I'll make a fresh squeezed oj in the morning.

Cleanses and detoxes that many people advocate are total BS science.

The trend for non-gluten this and non-gluten that is crap as less than 1% of people are gluten intolerant.

When I hear people bitch about msg giving them problems, I wonder, as it occurs naturally in tomatoes, many veggies, mushrooms and some cheeses.

It's innocuous and shouldn't cause anyone issues.