WATERMELONS ! injecting water into watermelons. PLEASE HELP!

easybullet3

does anyone know about this practice ?

is it true that some watermelon farmers inject water into watermelons to increase their selling weight ?

I have heard mixed stories:

some people told me they inject water + sugar + red colour dye

some people said they just inject water (and no sugar)... thus leaving a bland tasting watermelon.

some people said its total rubbish and it NEVER happens.

does anyone have any DIRECT experience if this really does happen or not ??

of course,, i am sure that if I asked a watermelon farmer,, he would tell me "NO",, (even if he did do it).

There was a thread similar to this a few weeks ago. I was told over a month ago by some friends operating a mobile laboratory for the health dept that farmers were injecting a colouring agent into the watermelons. I was under the impression it was a dye of some sort as their tests at that time couldn't detect what the growers were using.

Ive seen alot of watermellon grown around here (ISSAN), usually in rice fields in the dry season. One farmer told me they grow watermellon because it doesnt need as much water as other crops. That sounds strange but I guess its true.

I also notice, scattered around the fields, lots and lots of empty pesticide bottles, and there is a strong odor of poison in the air. A neighbor farmer told me he wont grow watermellon because it required too much poison.

I also smell poison when driving by some sugarcane fields. This is a concern to me because we are organic and a field behind us was just planted with sugarcane.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've seen a lot of watermelon grown around here (ISSAN), usually in rice fields in the dry season. One farmer told me they grow watermelon because it doesn't need as much water as other crops. That sounds strange but I guess its true.

I also notice, scattered around the fields, lots and lots of empty pesticide bottles, and there is a strong odor of poison in the air. A neighbor farmer told me he wont grow watermelon because it required too much poison.

I also smell poison when driving by some sugarcane fields. This is a concern to me because we are organic and a field behind us was just planted with sugarcane.

That is very interesting.

and yes,, i would be a bit worried if someone was putting lots of pesticides near to my organic farm too!

about the watermelons, i'm still on a mission to find out if anyone has any 100% evidence that they are injected with maybe Water+Sugar+Red food Colour (to increase their weight and market value).

Also: I have heard that if the seeds in the Watermelon are all White, then it means it was ripened too fast with a Growth Accelerator or Hormone or something.

Has anyone heard about that too ?

on the subject of farming: I also just found out 100% for sure, (directly from MANY market sellers mouths)... almost all of the bananas in Bangkok Street Markets are Dipped in a "Chemical water dip" (Nam Yaa) to speed up the ripening process.

apparently you can tell the 'chemically dipped bananas' because they DON'T develop black spots when they are very ripe.

from my research,, bananas are either dipped in ethephon (ethrel solution) or Calcium carbide (which is dangerous and banned even in india).

- again, if you know any info, please let us know ;)

Hi it is somthing to make a young melon look ripe the injection made my daughter sick and had to have a needle. And antibiotic. 4years ago now only buy from market stall that can trust reg Russell

I didnt really understand your post. and you said that your daughter got sick.

This sounds quite serious. can you give any more information. How did you know your daughter was sick from Watermelon Chemicals?

did the hospital identify the exact chemical that caused this to your daughter ?

also: what is Reg Russell? is that your name?

PS: you said you 'now only buy from market stalls that you can trust' - how can you tell that a Watermelon is injected or not?

or,, are you just buying watermelons from the supplier who's previous watermelons didn't make you feel sick, coz if thats the case, then you still have no idea if there is Water+sugar+Red Food Colouring added. (the growth accelerator would be a different subject which is also worthy of discussion).

• 2 months later...