Why do we keep coming back, and back, and back.....?

puukao

"my gf stole my bike and burned my passport, should i marry her?"

By all means have a large traditional Thai wedding...

Hide all the kitchen knives...and sleep with one eye open...

I love your sense of humor...you will do just fine navigating all the Thai-made hassles aimed at making a farangs life a living paradise...biggrin.png

Vietnam is the place I can't stop going back to! As much as I enjoy living in Thailand, Vietnam is the place that fascinates me the most!

. Why Vietnam, I haven't been ???

Been going to Vietnam since 2004...will be going back in Feb for 3 months. People (foreigners) I talk to either love it there or hate it...I am one who loves it. I just find the country, people, culture, etc. much more interesting. And personally I find most Vietnamese much friendlier than most Thais. After more than 3 years living in Chiang Mai, I'm making plans to move to Vietnam either later this year or next year if I can work out getting visas and some other things. I think it's all a matter of personal preference so I can only suggest that if you haven't been there, go check it out and form your own opinions.

• Like 1

The reason why so many people (not all) stay , is because they havn't been anywhere else.

They get to Thailand, and its so different from where they come from, and so liberal, in many ways, they think its paradise. But they havn't seen the other paradise in other places, so they don't know any better.

Thailand is a great country, But after spending over 9 years there, it is, sadly, not the place it used to be. Probably the most important thing is expense. Thailand is no longer considered cheap, like it used to be. In fact its expensive if your not careful.

The people seem to have lost a lot of their charm, (and I know people will winge and say "well where I live in this little village in Issan, everyone is so nice",) it's not what it used to be. and they are money driven, ......... your money.

So my advice would be, go to Thailand its a wonderful country, there are still a lot of nice people, in certain areas. But before you make a final choice, do go and visit the other Asian, countries, like Philippines, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia. Then make an informed choice.

Spot on! I'm considering signing up with another nik in order to 'like' this again. thumbsup.gif

A large swathe can't (won't) understand this and don't know any better.

I keep coming back because this is my home and has been for a very long time. Sure we go on holiday from time to time but this is home so of course we always come back.

You come back because you live here, that is perhaps the best of the worse reasons I have ever heard.

• Like 1

I keep coming back because this is my home and has been for a very long time. Sure we go on holiday from time to time but this is home so of course we always come back.

You come back because you live here, that is perhaps the best of the worse reasons I have ever heard.

Still, it is my reason.smile.png

After reading a recent post about the benefits of having Permanent residence in Phillipines I am seriously consideringh moving there,I am really tired of all the visa non-sense here-the work permits necessary even for residents etc,the non-sense re-entry permit,90 day report,certificate of residence which is never confirmed.Gawd,what a flippin nightmare.

the Philippines is one of the fastest growing economies in Asia.

The people speak English, and the beaches are truly stunning.

Apart from rental accomodation, (In the Big Cities, Such as Cebu). which gets you a great rental price if you want to buy. Everything else is about half the price of Thailand.

The ladies are great, its so refreshing to take someone out and have a laugh, because they understand you.

There are exceptions of course. But in the main these girls are not money driven, they just want a better life, than the slums they are in at present. Give that to them and they will be so grateful, and what a turn on, to have someone speak to you in English when your having sex hahaha.

I left Thailand, where I still have many friends after 9 years to go to the Philippines and I have not looked back one bit.

i will return to Thailand to visit my friends, but the Philippines is my home now.

And, by the way, dont believe all the crap you hear about it being dangerous, the people are great, just dont go where not not suppose to, same same as in Thailand.

I agree with your comments about the Philippines, especially concerning the women. Wish I could live there but I just can't warm up to the idea of living on an island or group of islands, plus I can't get used to Filipino food. But I definitely like going there for holiday...2 weeks next month. Enjoy!

• Like 1

Vietnam is the place I can't stop going back to! As much as I enjoy living in Thailand, Vietnam is the place that fascinates me the most!

i'm spending more and more time in vietnam as well. thailand has become to westernized/sexpat for my taste.

especially bangkok, hated living in the sukhumvit area even for just a couple months and watching all these old prunes act like goofballs.

Edited by fey
  • Like 2

if you are not a beach person,then i too would ask that question,''why thailand '',vietnam is far better place to live (in my opinion),mui ne,vung tau and nha trang even siagon.

I have also been to Vietnam a few times, and to the places you mention. Next time you go try Da Lat, its fabulous. the climate is so mild, they grow strawberries and raspberries, and all the things called Summer fruits. that would be the place for me in Vietnam.