Thai rules.?

tgeezer

As my post on gambling shows I haven't spent much time trying to work out the logic of 'matchplay' golf played by my group of friends, but here is one which I think that I can rationalise.

Lateral water:

Very often on older less landscaped courses drainage is the main problem, so a tree lined fairway will have ditches running through the trees. Farang friends have objected to people interpreting a drop from lateral water as a drop in the middle of the fairway, I believe the logic behind this is that one option of a yellow staked penalty drop says "in line with the flag" which provides for; 'green in regulation plus one penalty stroke'. In the case of lateral trees, a chip out sideways provides for; 'green one over regulation', effectively the same score.

If a lawful drop is taken from lateral water in trees it is a double penalty for one mistake; effectively "two strokes", obviously unfair since a two stroke penalty is applied for in the rules of golf to egregious breaches of the rules! Personally I think it would be more fair, if the water is to be ignored, to treat it as an obstruction or G.U.R.

At the army Ram Intra, the caddies see a to apply the aforementioned procedure to OB also.

I wonder if anyone has any comment on this or has noticed any other variations of play here, or anywhere in fact.

Generally most Thais 'play it as it lies' after of course it been lobbed out into the middle of the fairway. Whether they add two, one or even no shots seems arbitrary in my experience.

Of course, as you know, Rule 26 applies ... not many of the locals will ever have read the Rules of Golf, never mind applying them. Of course if there is a 'Local Rule' it will tell you about it on the back of the card. A caddy knowing the rules ... don't make me laugh!

Edited by JAS21

Generally most Thais 'play it as it lies' after of course it been lobbed out into the middle of the fairway. Whether they add two, one or even no shots seems arbitrary in my experience.

Of course, as you know, Rule 26 applies ... not many of the locals will ever have read the Rules of Golf, never mind applying them. Of course if there is a 'Local Rule' it will tell you about it on the back of the card. A caddy knowing the rules ... don't make me laugh!

I am just trying to rationalise something I and other Farang have seen and used as an excuse to bash Thai golfers. When I first started playing with my group I insisted on following the rules of golf but realised after a few years that my behavior was putting my partners at a disadvantage. I don't maneouvre the ball to a fair lie or away from trees with the club but I now conform to my groups amended relief from a water hazard.

Fortunately it isn't the job of a caddy to know the rules of golf.

Here is something on caddy's duties.

I was playing at Mueang Ake vista and they have a feature green on the 18th which they are very proud of, called the Banana green; ninety yards long curved and with a bunker in the curve. My ball was at one end 'very short!' and the hole at the other with the bunker in between. The caddy was horrified when I pitched off the green. I am sorry to say that I was just trying to make a point and as a result went off the green and made a complete hash of the hole. I suppose that the intention is that you play a dogleg putt which in the event would probably got me a better return anyway! but I refuse to do it.

I wonder if the caddy has instructions, neglect of which would jeopardise her job. Do Thais think that caddies are there to regulate the game, do we think it?

W are members of Muang Ake 1 so have played Vista quite a few times. Yes the Caddy can get into trouble if you do something that is deemed wrong. In fact she can get suspended or even sacked.

If you play the ball too soon and it goes close to the group in front and they complain to the management she will be in big trouble.

Chipping on the green is pretty well a No No and anyway you have to be really good or really lucky to do better than a putt. Pitch marks are easy to sort but divots aren't!

It is difficult trying to understand what rules are being played ... Normally my wife and I just play together .. I totally refuse to gamble when playing with others ... just let them get on with it and if they aren't happy we will play on our own.

Anyway I frequently find that they seem to have a 13 handicap when actually they play much much lower. Sorry but I don't have much time for the average Thai Golfer ... however we do belong to a small Society who are all Thais and they are all good guys.

OP Not sure I follow your logic on this - "one option of a yellow staked penalty drop says "in line with the flag" which provides for; 'green in regulation plus one penalty stroke'."

The rule says drop back from point of entry in line with the flag which of course does not necessarily mean you will have a shot at the green. Also I believe yellow stakes are water hazards not laterals (normally red stakes) which have more options.

Unless as JAS21 says there is a local rule your group are essentially circumventing the rules but if that is what you all want to do amongst yourselves then, as consenting adults "up to you" as they say wai.gif

PS - If it was me, and playing for money, I would show them the rules and tell em they should not be in the trees in the first place.........whistling.gif

I just searched around for you ... have a look at this guy ... http://www.barryrhodes.com/2008/11/rule-26-1-relief-for-ball-in-water.html and his other videos Barry Rhodes gives some good explanations/examples. Actually it's no wonder that Pros ask for rulings so often.

As said make up your own rules as long as you all play the same rules ... enjoy.