King endorses sacking of rector of King Mongkut's Institute of Technology Ladkrabang

webfact

King endorses sacking of rector of King Mongkut's Institute of Technology Ladkrabang

16-1-2558-10-47-52-wpcf_728x407.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The sacking of Mr Thawil Puengma from the rectorship position of the King Mongkut's Institute of Technology Ladkrabang (KMITL) was royally endorsed and announced on the Royal Gazette Thursday.

No detail was given in the announcement of the Office of the Prime Minister which was published in the Royal Gazette although Mr Thawil was sacked more than two years ago after he was found guilty in changing grades for his son by the KMITL Council with a vote of 9-4.

He was also accused of opening a doctorate course to allow politicians to attend without consent by the council.

He is currently facing probe on the alleged embezzlement of the KMITL saving fund amounted to 1.6 billion baht in which the Anti Money Laundering Office is tracing the money in bid to retrieve them back from a gang involving several staff of the KMITL, banker, and businessmen.

According to the announcement of the Office of the Prime Minister, it said the royal endorsement of the sacking of Mr Thawil Puengma, the rector of the King Mongkut’s Institute of Technology Ladkrabang , from the rectorship position, is retroactive from November 28, 2013.

The announcement, dated January 14, 2015, was published in the Royal Gazette yesterday January 15, 2015, and signed by Deputy Prime Minister Yongyut Yuthawong.

The announcement said that since Mr Thawil’s appointment as rector of the KMITL was royally endorsed on July 20, 2012 and the royal appointment was announced by the Office of the Prime Minister on July 24, 2012, but it was apparent that the 13/2013 meeting on November 27, 2013, and the 13/2014 meeting of the Council of the KMITL on December 17, 2014 had resolved to sack him under Article 31(4) of the KMITL Act BE 2551, from the rectorship position from November 28, 2013 and forward the resolution to His Majesty for endorsement.

It said now the resolution of the KMITL was royally endorsed and will become retroactive from November 28, 2013.

The announcement of the royal endorsement was countersigned by Deputy Prime Minister Yongyut Yuthawon on January 14, 2015.

(Photo : Thai PBS File)

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/king-endorses-sacking-rector-king-mongkuts-institute-technology-ladkrabang

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-01-16

Do I understand this right?

Thawil was already sacked as rector more than two years ago after he had falsified his son's grades and established a doctorate course so corrupt politicians could embellish their name cards with a "Dr." prefix.

Then he was re-instated as rector and now has been sacked in connection with the recent embezzlement scandal.

Why oh why would anyone bring this man back after his first serious transgressions and let him take up the same position again? I mean, if all those allegations are true, the man is obviously a slime ball and should have gone to prison after his first two acts of corruption.

Or did I misunderstand and this is just the typical shoddy reporting from PBS (the broadcaster you can trust)?

Edited by Misterwhisper
  • Like 2

Thawil was already sacked as rector more than two years ago after he had falsified his son's grades and established a doctorate course so corrupt politicians could embellish their name cards with a "Dr." prefix.

Then he was re-instated as rector and now has been sacked in connection with the recent embezzlement scandal.

Why oh why would anyone bring this man back after his first serious transgressions and let him take up the same position again? I mean, if all those allegations are true, the man is obviously a slime ball and should have gone to prison after his first two acts of corruption.

Or did I misunderstand and this is just the typical shoddy reporting from PBS (the broadcaster you can trust)?

No. It means he was sacked but as it was a royally endorsed position. The resignation has to be royally endorsed!

Should make some of the other dodgy rectors, administrators and the like, in unis. and schools across the country start to think!!

But in all actuality Chris, I wonder how or why you'd say that. Unless i failed to read it properly I don't see anything about the perp serving jail time or being fined a single baht. Other than him losing some face, was he really punished for what would be a serious offense in some countries?

"He is currently facing probe on the alleged embezzlement of the KMITL saving fund amounted to 1.6 billion baht in which the Anti Money Laundering Office is tracing the money in bid to retrieve them back from a gang involving several staff of the KMITL, banker, and businessmen."

Yeah it is a probe but I wouldn't be surprised if the results are similar to the Univ. matter.

• Like 1

"Do I understand this right?"

No you don't.

He was sacked more than 2 years ago for the incident involving his son's grades and he wasn't reinstated. He was also accused at the time of setting up the doctorate course without the permission of the Institute's council. There was no mention of corrupt politicians, that was you.

Fiddling his son's grades and setting up courses improperly are not criminal offences so why should he have gone to prison?

But in all actuality Chris, I wonder how or why you'd say that. Unless i failed to read it properly I don't see anything about the perp serving jail time or being fined a single baht. Other than him losing some face, was he really punished for what would be a serious offense in some countries?

"He is currently facing probe on the alleged embezzlement of the KMITL saving fund amounted to 1.6 billion baht in which the Anti Money Laundering Office is tracing the money in bid to retrieve them back from a gang involving several staff of the KMITL, banker, and businessmen."

Yeah it is a probe but I wouldn't be surprised if the results are similar to the Univ. matter.

"Unless i failed to read it properly I don't see anything about the perp serving jail time or being fined a single baht."

What should he have gone to jail for? Altering his son's examination results? Hardly. And setting up a course without strictly following the Institute's rules. Jail would be a little extreme.

"Unless i failed to read it properly I don't see anything about the perp serving jail time or being fined a single baht."

What should he have gone to jail for? Altering his son's examination results? Hardly. And setting up a course without strictly following the Institute's rules. Jail would be a little extreme.

The latter would depend upon why, and at the request of whom, he set up the doctorate course, if he was paid to do so, and who actually graduated from the course and, indeed, became a doctorate politician. The adjustment of his son's grades is small pittance concerning his remit at the time, but what followed is what needs deep probing. If he received large sums from 'certain students' then jail-time would be in accordance, and yet TIT so I'm sure he has the support of a lot of, now newly perceived as well-educated, friends in high places. ;)

Before you criticize and lecture other people you should have a look at Section 264, 265 Thai Penal Code. And if you read up about the planned course you would know that this course was more than dodgy and hardly in line with the rules of any proper academic institution. It was about politicians paying high course fees in exchange for an academic title. Edited by hanuman2543
  • Like 1

In a word .... Thainess

Should make some of the other dodgy rectors, administrators and the like, in unis. and schools across the country start to think!!

I bet that probe has a lot of KY jelly on it too!

"Do I understand this right?"

No you don't.

He was sacked more than 2 years ago for the incident involving his son's grades and he wasn't reinstated. He was also accused at the time of setting up the doctorate course without the permission of the Institute's council. There was no mention of corrupt politicians, that was you.

Fiddling his son's grades and setting up courses improperly are not criminal offences so why should he have gone to prison?

Well that's 20 years...

|

|

V

... Before the case gets to trial

Loss of face by the king's endorsement of the sacking must be a great punishment. Probably worse than a few years in jail.

Lots of us posters would be pleased not to hear about every day's news of more corrupt individuals.

News about non-currupt officials would do wonders and might even make folks happy.

The goal for some is to assume a position, consolidate power and embark on an escapade of criminal/civil abuse and moral decay.

While all this is taking place, the same people are posturing and hiding behind the teachings which run contrary to their actions.

Truly sad.