Very hard to find a cab that agrees to turn on the meter

Lukecan

Having used taxis hundreds of times in Bangkok, the only times when they've refused to use the meter for me have been...

Outside Pantip Plaza at 5pm. Saw ten people in a row (mostly Thai) walk away because the only taxi waiting there wanted to cherry pick his destination... I hope he's still waiting... mad.gif.pagespeed.ce.z6RtN005qsrqHQ4roTc

I was smarter... got a passing taxi from outside the Indonesian Embassy and just to be sure checked he would take me on the meter and where I wanted to go, no problem... loaded all my boxes... get in and after 20 metres and now, in the middle of 4 lanes of traffic, tells me the price is 300 baht for what should be a 150 baht fare... driver 1-0 bah.gif

Very late one night on Suk, monsoon rain so get in the first cab nearest the curb... driver wants 2000!!! baht for a 250 baht trip, next guy wanted 1000... I guess they factored in their compensation knowing they would be unlikely to get a fare back in to Bangkok... walked a couple of minutes down the road and meter no problem... gave that driver a 100 baht tip smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqNPM4cy2e

Had some airport drivers refuse to turn on the meter after leaving the rank... and it's not easy to get out and walk with four pieces of luggage... but apart from one they all turned the meter on eventually.

Overall probably less than one percent of drivers have been a problem so I can live with that.

Your info on Mo Chit is nonsense. SNIP

I would have agreed with you had I not seen it for myself. You would not recognize that part of MoChit - there is no taxi queue. Well, a very small one with way more passengers than taxis and it's in a different location. We ended up in a minivan to South Bus Station as we could not find a meter or afford to wait our turn in a long queue.

I don't understand that you have to wait 1 hour to find your transport at mo chit ?, its full of buses, skytrains and taxis, if you don't know ask info at skytrain ticket office, they can tell you what train, or bus you have to take. tell your destination to the money collector on the bus, they will tell you where to get off, halt a passingby taxi, get in let hem start driving and say where you have to go. 9/10 he open meter, if not say you want meter KRAB. if he stop just get out. speaking Thai and be soft and polite helps.

I suggest that you go to Mo Chit and see how it has CHANGED. I've taken taxi's there many times with no stress but when I was there in mid December the old efficient taxi queue with plenty of metered taxis was no more. That spot was empty. I am not a noob but I'm sure those who are will appreciate your help.

Yes, send us a photo of your tatoo and we can use it like a chop for other posts. Open the door tell them where you want to go in pigion Thai (eg bi Siam Square my crap) and if they nod get in. After a couple of mins if the meter is not on say 'meter' if they dont turn it on say 'uit' and 99% will turn it on. For the 1% who don't keep saying stop,+ uit and get out when they do. You may have to wait for a short while to get another cab, especially when wet and you have to bear in mind drivers going off shift who will not want to go a long way. Buy an umbrella and jai yen yen

Sorry about this, it was supposed to be attached to 'ROTARY's post. Thanks ROTARY, it's very apt.

Also apologies for crap Thai and inconsistent punctuation, damn mobile phone again. Myfingers are too big and (allegedly) brain too small, plus fading eyesight.............and so on.

Finally, Say 'Stop by the Police Post over there'. (There's always one near, look for the adverts and you will soon see one).

I notice that speaking thai seems to help...politeness as well.
Sometimes when I go out with friends, I see them trying to hail a taxi...they fail like 4-5 times...then I decide to take care of it, and i get the meter at the first or second taxi, might just be lucky, don't know ?

The thing is that it's getting worst and worst.

Being living here for 7 years now, close to Phrom Phong, and even with the recent fare increase, it's not getting better.

Sometimes I can understand, too far, too much traffic... but when they refuse... as yesterday evening to do a mere 1 kilometer.

When this happens, I walk away without closing their back seat door.

Edited by xtof2

its illegal for them not to run the meter remind them and take their picture and cab number then tell them you are reporting them they shit themselves now......

Well that's no good. I don't want to ride in a cab with a driver who's shat his pants.

• Like 1

its illegal for them not to run the meter remind them and take their picture and cab number then tell them you are reporting them they shit themselves now......

Well that's no good. I don't want to ride in a cab with a driver who's shat his pants.

Possibly an improvement over the standard issue taxi air freshener !!!

But really, take a pic and write their number down ? When they pull their machete from under the seat, it would be me shitting my keks !!

I doubt that you've ever done exactly as you suggest others do, remind them they're breaking the law, take their picture and cab number then tell them you are reporting them? No way, unless you have photos of course.

• Like 1

Re: Airport. I have to say that on my own I will catch a taxi back from the airport no problems. Just stand up to their rubbish and you'll be fine. With my family (all English) it is a different story, they see a tired white family and they know they've got you. Even when speaking Thai they will not budge and try to set flat rates that are roughly double the meter. After a long haul flight back from Blighty there is only one answer and that is http://www.limousine.in.th/

Well worth the extra money to walk out of customs and have all our bags taken. The next time we touch them they are inside our house. No begging for tips, easy pass on the expressway and a polite, safe, well-dressed, considerate driver. I have learned the hard way on that one. Well worth the extra cash after travelling for 24 hours with a well meaning but SERIOUSLY tired toddler.

A complete rip off!!

Just walk out to the taxi meter stand and get a meter taxi.How hard is that??

• Like 1

Re: Airport. I have to say that on my own I will catch a taxi back from the airport no problems. Just stand up to their rubbish and you'll be fine. With my family (all English) it is a different story, they see a tired white family and they know they've got you. Even when speaking Thai they will not budge and try to set flat rates that are roughly double the meter. After a long haul flight back from Blighty there is only one answer and that is http://www.limousine.in.th/

Well worth the extra money to walk out of customs and have all our bags taken. The next time we touch them they are inside our house. No begging for tips, easy pass on the expressway and a polite, safe, well-dressed, considerate driver. I have learned the hard way on that one. Well worth the extra cash after travelling for 24 hours with a well meaning but SERIOUSLY tired toddler.

A complete rip off!!

Just walk out to the taxi meter stand and get a meter taxi.How hard is that??

Please re-read my post.

It helps to immediately look at their taxi number and their license number which is on the dash, pretending to write it down as if to report them.

I have a high success rate with the meter activation when they think they may be reported

Btw, I did ask a few drivers last week how much they make, and the average driver struggles to take home 1500/baht, so

Have a heart, and tip them

It helps to immediately look at their taxi number and their license number which is on the dash, pretending to write it down as if to report them.

I have a high success rate with the meter activation when they think they may be reported

Btw, I did ask a few drivers last week how much they make, and the average driver struggles to take home 1500/baht, so

You think taxi drivers deserve tips when only earning THB 45k a month, in a country where the average wage is circa THB 15K, please spare us!

• Like 1

You think taxi drivers deserve tips when only earning THB 45k a month, in a country where the average wage is circa THB 15K, please spare us!

Even IF drivers are making 45k a month (and I suspect many don't) most drivers don't own their cab but rent it, so 500-1000 baht a day needs to be deducted... least that's what I have been told before.

Your 'maths' is based on working 7 days a week and without taking into account the number of hours worked...point is, driving a taxi is a tough gig. If you get good service, drop em a few baht..simple......we all compain when the service is crap or were being ripped off, so we should also show appreciation of the opposite :-)

Never had any problems with drivers not turning on the meter when I lived in BKK. But I stayed away from tourist areas, maybe that got something to do with it.

Edited by balo

Even IF drivers are making 45k a month (and I suspect many don't) most drivers don't own their cab but rent it, so 500-1000 baht a day needs to be deducted... least that's what I have been told before.

There is no chance that a taxi driver will ever tell you what he really earns. If it really was such a woeful occupation how come there are 100,000 registered taxis in Bangkok? Not one taxi driver is forced to do the job, they wouldn't do it if it didn't make them money, obviously.

• Like 1

the taxi drivers can "smell" if you are easy prey.

In approx. 1.500 rides I had not more than 2 or 3 cases where the driver refused to switch on the meter. I got off the cab and hailed down another one. never ever in my entire life I was using a Cab in BKK by agreeing to a flat fare. I would only do so in case of an emergency.

while I admit it may be a challenge to get a Taxi automatically switch on the Meter next to a tourist attraction or in front of a Hotel that sees 99% clueless tourists (Suk Soi 3 for example, where all the Arabs stay), it may at least help to:

1) just open the door, mention the destination, and if the Taxi driver agrees, get in and say NOTHING. If he does not automatically switch on the Meter, tell him " BOERT METER NOI KRAB" and make a correspending sign with your hand in case he does not understand your less-than-perfect Thai pronounciation. if he does not AUTOMATICALLY switch on the Meter now and starts discussing things, GET OUT on the spot and hail down the next cab.

2) NEVER EVER IN LIFE open the door and ask "HOW MUCH" or "DO YOU USE THE METER".

this is the same like asking the Cabbie "could you please rip me off if you don't mind?"

3) the dishonest drivers can only be fought if they are beeing REPORTED by passengers. therefore, write down their licence and plate number and, FOR HEAVENS SAKE AND THE SAKE OF FUTURE PASSENGERS, call the Transport authorities and report them. The more complaints a Cabbie gets, the more likely is it that one day he will lose his licence or at least get's (ridiculous, I know) 500 Baht fine.

yes I am aware it may be a hassle to do all that - but how are we going to get rid off this HYDRA if nobody takes action. Kudos to the Japanese guy at Swampy this week ! this is the way to do ! Next time the Cabbies will think twice to scam - they do not wanna see their face in facebook or on the local TV after all.

• Like 1

tried to find a cap to airport around 3 am from a major hotel on sukhumvit. not even the doorman could get one to agree on the meter.

finally found one who agreed on a low set price, still no meter though.

tried to find a cap to airport around 3 am from a major hotel on sukhumvit. not even the doorman could get one to agree on the meter.

finally found one who agreed on a low set price, still no meter though.

Try the Grab Taxi app next time. Today a friend was going to the airport from Glow Hotel near Chong Nonsi BTS and no taxi would use the meter. Even the hotel staff were in on the scam by trying to get my friend to pay 500 baht to use a taxi that was waiting near the hotel. When we couldn't find a taxi that would use the meter we used the Grab Taxi app and we had a taxi in about 5 minutes who used the meter. With Grab Taxi you pay the meter plus 25 baht booking fee.

I thought it was disgraceful that the hotel staff were contributing to the scam. My friend enjoyed the hotel, but based on this he said he will not be staying there again in the future.