Which Island

crazyfalang

Depends what you want, bars, nightlife, resort with spa, 5 star or basic cabin.

For me its getting away from the seething masses and Koh Chang in Ranong suites me just fine.

Koh Phayam was very relaxing and scenic. I did not try Koh Chang (Ranong)....is it really nicer?

Been to the one in Trat....a good mix of everything.

Depends on if you want nightlife or just to relax. In the south I like Ko Racha (Raya) 12 miles south of Phuket. Has four cheap (relatively) to expensive resorts, a few cheap restaurants, no bars or massage shops. Lovely beaches and diving. Coral island a few miles from Phuket is only two (?) resorts and nothing to do but relax. If you want nightlife and girls then Phuket and Patong Beach is the place. Phuket has family beach resorts too. Like I said...depends. If you are looking for total seclusion try Cape Chao Mai on the Andaman Coast west of Trang. Still on the mainland but only a couple of cheap resorts and a two km lovely white sand beach with NOT A SOUL and not a building on it. This was during Xmas holiday. Incredible. Several offshore islands that you can get out to. To me, Phi Phi Island 25 miles east of Phuket is only worth a day trip on a cattle boat. Worth a look though. Get yourself a Thailand guide book and look up 'Beaches and Islands' for more information. Happy travelling.

Koh Chang, Koh Samet, Both are very nice and look at Agoda.com for booking deals. Just stayed on Koh Samet for $ 42 US after taxes and was very nice. Vongdeuan Resort , peaceful and relaxing.

+1 for Samet.

I have read all the comments on here...NOT one for Samui....with VERY GOOD REASON...I have been a Samui man for 30yrs now[live in Lamai]...the scams are getting worse by the day taxis/beach vendors.shops/bars etc..do your self a favour give it a widw berth.

I would not have been saying this 5/7yrs ago..its a shame & breaks my heart to say it now,but its true.

The reason for this...95% is all the scum from ISSAN have descended on Samui...they think it's TREASURE ISLAND...bar girls/shop workers in particular...I could go on & on...any one who wants to know more...PM me

I prefer the west coast islands. Koh Lanta is a good base for day trips to smaller lslands or diving. If you really want to get away from it all Koh Ngai is nice, no roads, no 7 11 only resorts. Take every thing you need though because they charge a premium at resorts for booze smokes snacks etc.

• Like 1

I have read all the comments on here...NOT one for Samui....with VERY GOOD REASON...I have been a Samui man for 30yrs now[live in Lamai]...the scams are getting worse by the day taxis/beach vendors.shops/bars etc..do your self a favour give it a widw berth.

I would not have been saying this 5/7yrs ago..its a shame & breaks my heart to say it now,but its true.

The reason for this...95% is all the scum from ISSAN have descended on Samui...they think it's TREASURE ISLAND...bar girls/shop workers in particular...I could go on & on...any one who wants to know more...PM me

I think all people who live in Thailand have learned to stay away from jetskis by now, no matter where they are, and yes taxis are a big problem on Samui and Phuket etc. which is why most tourists rent a car or bike.

Besides the taxis and jetskis I do not think there are many scams. Could you elaborate?

A beach vendor or shop trying to charge a high price for something is hardly a scam is it? And even if it is, it is easily avoided, just say no thanks.

As far as nightlife goes, especially in Lamai, I think anyone who is used to say Bangkok nightlife, will be quite pleased with the prices for everything nightlife related in Lamai and Samui in general.

In any case, most people who live on or visit Samui seem quite happy, and quite alot of tourists are repeat visitors.

Edited by monkeycountry

We have been coming to Thailand for 40 years; gave up on Pattaya and Hua Hin (too big now) - but currently live in Phuket and love it. Tho' it sure has changed a lot. Near Laguna is fun - and Bang Tao beach is very nice.

Rawaii is OK but a bit far.

We hear many good things of Koh Samui too. Maybe best to come in Jan/Feb after the Xmas/NY rush has gone.

• Like 1

We have been coming to Thailand for 40 years; gave up on Pattaya and Hua Hin (too big now) - but currently live in Phuket and love it. Tho' it sure has changed a lot. Near Laguna is fun - and Bang Tao beach is very nice.

We hear many good things of Koh Samui too. Maybe best to come in Jan/Feb after the Xmas/NY rush has gone.

You are joking right ? 40 years and find Phuket nice ? I needed 3 weeks to know what shiiteplace it really is. And I checked every single beach or spot, so don't tell me that you know a secret Phuket...

• Like 2

I recommend Koh Mak (East Border, cool place), Koh Similan (for camping and diving, 100% contact with nature), Koh PP (best landscape, but to busy nowadays), Phuket (Ao Nui and Nai Harn are nice to swiming and snorkel), Ko Kai (small island around tatutao park, also tarutao is nice and quiet to stay few days).. if you like diving then your best bet is koh Surin.. so many places in thailand.. I personally like some island around chumphom, but the last time I went there the water was blurred, without saying the amount of plastic (cups, bags, bottles, all types of plastic) in corals .. good trip!

You are joking right ? 40 years and find Phuket nice ? I needed 3 weeks to know what shiiteplace it really is. And I checked every single beach or spot, so don't tell me that you know a secret Phuket...

I agree Phuket is a shithole except by 2 beaches (Ao Nui and Nai Harn), really cool places that I like, but the phuket town, patong (it is a copy of pataya) and the rest is bad.. traffic in the island sucks.. no way I can live there for more than a week.. haha

Cant believe some of the comments on Phuket, have just visited 16 beaches before running out of time.

Freedom beach one can stand in the sea and watch tropical fish swim around ones legs.

Naiyang is a plane spotters dream as all flights fly in over the ocean.

Paradise beach is private and costs a 100bht but get deck chair and can watch occasional young lass showering topless at outdoor shower.

Surin, Bang Thao, Nai harn are all great beaches.

Left helmet on bike 24/7 and back pack on all beaches on its own and never had a problem.

• Like 2