Usb Car Audio Player

Sakeopete

Need advice, I want to put a USB car stereo in my 4x4 so when I'm bouncing around in the mud it I don't need to use a cd and can avoid skipping. I see there are USB car stereos available has anyone had experiance with them in LOS?

Hi

I have a 40gb ipod in my car, has a FM transmitter so you can leave it out of sight, plays for weeks, i think its 3 weeks.

HDRIDER, whats the sound quality like? I heard that FM transmitters weren't so good.

I have read similar statements on poor sound quality and occasional interference. I see E-Bay UK has players for about 5000 Baht that have USB and SD/MMC slots on the removable face. Has anyone seen them in Thailand?

HDRIDER, whats the sound quality like? I heard that FM transmitters weren't so good.

Some info on said device:

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view....;cid=9&pg=3

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/Sonnet_PodFre...6-30898731.html

http://www.macaddict.com/issues/2004/8/reviews/podfreq

User reviews are pretty mixed on it though. Either great or terrible, no middle ground.

Edited by tywais

I have an Ipod adapter in one car and you can control all ipod funtions from remote or the touchscreen.

As for the usb, I have another front in another car that has the usb function (usb plug right on the face) and i gotta say I like it better than the Ipod adapter... just plug and play, any thumb drive will work, and it reads much faster than the ipod... I don't listen to 10,000 songs anyway, although i could with traffic, and the usb is great cuz when i want to change the playlist just plug into my computer and drag a new list over...

Edited by teej

I quite like this idear of fitting an ipod in my pickup, what sort of amp do you need as the ipod cannot be connected directly to your big speakers.

It all depends on the set-up of your audio system, actually. If you have a stock stereo in your pick-up, then I assume it probably doesn't have pre-outs or rca jacks that you could use for either an ipod adapter or the simplest (100baht) rca red/white jack to headset jack fix.

That said, if you are not going to upgrade your front (head unit), then you could try the FM radio transmitters that some posters have mentioned--but you will get plenty of interference in Bangkok especially.

If you want to upgrade your front, then you have the choice of ipod adapters that range from just stealing the signal from your ipod, to all out control of the ipod from the front itself. Of course the prices for these options varies according to what level of system control you want.

Re: your questions about amplifiers, well you don't really need amplification per se if you are just looking to hook up your ipod, just changing fronts and installing an ipod adapter will do. The ipod itself has nothing to do with the amplifiers, they are rather separate components of the audio system.

Hope this clarifies things for you, and remember you have many choices, choose the one that fits your needs and your budget.

Just today we've got JVC unit with USB port - just plug in any thumb drive and that's it. A bit pricey at 8,500 Baht, but in the same range as comparable players with RCA jacks, and we got 128MB drive as well.

Which model did you buy & how do you rate it? What info do you get on the display of the jvc unit when you plug in your usb player? Does it display album name & track info?